Should I get a 13' MacBookAir or a Lenovo Yoga Pro 2

13-inch Macbook Air is my favorite laptop of all time so I say that. No real reason and I haven't used a Yoga so I have no clue if I'll like that better.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Surface Pro 3?

Macbook Pro, from a lenovo Yoga 2 Pro owner ;)

Or a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro without QHD+ 

Any resolution over 1080p on a windows laptop is a pain to live with, the yoga cant handle QHD+ without lag and other issues.

Would get a windows computer for application support, one with nice aluminium build quality ;)

Would go for the ACER Nitro with GTX 860M ;)

BTW, touch screen on a laptop is crap, dont listen to what linus says on youtube, he is a salesman... ;)

Unless its windows 8+ then a touchscreen is a must.

HTID

I have a macbook air yet my sister has a yoga and my sister has had non stop problems with it and is really jealous of my mac but If you want a desktop computer build one! :D  

But are they caused by user error?

They're overpriced, can't run things as well, are massive, and use OS X. THe only thing I givr macs are they have a damn nice lookin screen.

Overpriced? Thats relative. Please, tell me where I can buy a i7-4770HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD equipped laptop with 7-8 hour battery life for under 2 grand. Oh, and it being as thin as a rMBP. Some people actually care about those kinds of things, not everyone wants a tiny netbook or a gigantic desktop replacement. Who'd a thunk it. 

Can't run things well? Games perhaps, Macs and games have gotten better but they aren't that great, but what laptop ever is apart from the dedicated gaming ones. 

Massive? LOLWAT? Airs and Retinas are some of the thinnest and lightest ones in their segment, bar none. What the hell are you on about? Even the Mac Pro which used to come in a gigantic ATX/EATX case now come in a trashcan the size of a few 1L water bottles.

OSX is subjective, I'll give you that. But my Mac runs all 3 OSs if I need it to, and if I wanted to I could run a dedicated Windows install on this and nothing else. We used to joke at work that the best Windows laptop you could buy was actually a Macbook. That was before Windows OEMs stepped their game up and included better hardware and better build quality. 

I'm all for personal preferences but if you're going to spout pointless and baseless crap, leave and go elsewhere.  

Surface Pro 3?

Right now for a "laptop" I have a first gen surface RT, if I were to buy a surface it would be the 1,000 dollar model and I'm not going to shell out another 120$ for a freaking keyboard, if I had 1100$ I would just buy a Asus ROG GL551.

Right now for a "laptop" I have a first gen surface RT, if I were to buy a surface it would be the 1,000 dollar model and I'm not going to shell out another 120$ for a freaking keyboard, if I had 1100$ I would just buy a Asus ROG GL551.

Sell the RT, get the keyboard with that money. :D

But are they caused by user error?

The lenovo yoga 2 series came with a crappy wifi card, so people with bad home routers and bad wifi coverage had a lot of dropout issues, replaced my wifi card with an intel dualband ac. Probably a combination, but features like the refresh button on the side of the computer (resets all settings) is bad. The trackpad on the lonovo series is more unprecise and do not support multi finger gestures well. Also if the resolution is scaled down there is an issue with the trackpaddrived connected to two finger scrolling resulting in a doubble click or zooming if doing so. 

Lenovo and most windows computer manufactures  genereally are horrible at driver support, unless one do run the computer as stock from retail, there will be problems with a computer from a windows manufacture. (windows itselft is a bloody mess atm.)

Macbook Air obviously, it's not much of a contest. It has far better battery life

You should go for the i7 and 8 GB of ram. Forget about the 1000$. You are better off saving some more before buying a new computer ;)

The lenovo yoga 2 series came with a crappy wifi card, so people with bad home routers and bad wifi coverage had a lot of dropout issues, replaced my wifi card with an intel dualband ac. Probably a combination, but features like the refresh button on the side of the computer (resets all settings) is bad. The trackpad on the lonovo series is more unprecise and do not support multi finger gestures well. Also if the resolution is scaled down there is an issue with the trackpaddrived connected to two finger scrolling resulting in a doubble click or zooming if doing so. 

Lenovo and most windows computer manufactures  genereally are horrible at driver support, unless one do run the computer as stock from retail, there will be problems with a computer from a windows manufacture. (windows itselft is a bloody mess atm.)

Does the Yoga Pro 2 have a bad wifi card?

I have a yoga 2 pro qhd running windows 10 and I run into memory limits. Windows will often run out of memory with as little as 10 tabs open in chrome.

Ubuntu seems to do alright.

Wifi is also hit and miss

Options:

Get the Mac, use it for a few years eventually you won't be able to upgrade the OS nor apps due to it being considered out of data rendering it as a fancy paper weight.

Get the Yoga, you can use it till it ... well no Linux OS supports its hardware (probably year 2100 or so), you can also use it as a tablet.

So depending on how you use your equipment/hardare make a wise choice as OS matters none to you.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Does the Yoga Pro 2 have a bad wifi card?

Yes, there has been a lot of conversation about this on the web ;)

It uses a single band instead of a dual band -n card. 

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Yoga-2-Pro-Wifi-connection-dropped-connection-slow-performance/ta-p/1294705

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Yoga-Flex-Laptops-and/Re-Yoga-2-Pro-Wifi-Problems/td-p/1452437

The card is crap, single band and not future proof.

http://ark.intel.com/products/75174/Intel-Wireless-N-7260

Integrated Communications

Intel® Wireless-N 7260 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth® 4.0

Any recommendations for a decent laptop on the windows side with wifi that doesn't suck, Dell XPS 12, is that any good?

Surface Pro 3?

This is a good suggestion too

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

This is a good suggestion too

I know, I just want to get a full laptop, not separate parts, just one buy a complete package.

I know, I just want to get a full laptop, not separate parts, just one buy a complete package

Awww, well okay.

The dell xps 12?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Just get a thinkpad. Best laptops money can buy. 

Yeah but another thing is price, the XPS 12 is the perfect price point, is it worth it or no?

Do you have a link to the model? The 13 inch would be cheaper for more powerful hardware since it does not have the screen flip function.

If you are thiking about taking nootes with a pen on the screen you only have 3 choices: Surface 3 pro, samsung galaxy tab note or an iPad with a special pen.

Do you have a link to the model? The 13 inch would be cheaper for more powerful hardware since it does not have the screen flip function.

If you are thiking about taking nootes with a pen on the screen you only have 3 choiches: Surface 3 pro, samsung galaxy tab note or an iPad with a special pen.

I saw the XPS 12 on the microsoft site a few months ago, it's not there anymore, and I'm looking for a laptop, honestly if I was looking for a tablet Pro 3 would be my first choice.

Yeah but another thing is price, the XPS 12 is the perfect price point, is it worth it or no?

The 12.5 and 13 is the same, just the screen flip function is the difference, however the cheaper 12.5 models only has 4GB of ram which would be fin if you do not plan to photoshop, video edit and about do 5 tabs in the webbrowser, text documents and maybe some music in the background. Atm I have open 3 pdfs and 3 chrome tabs, running at 3,6GB of ram. Would aim for 8GB ;)