Sharp's latest IGZO prototype sets the stage for 4K phablets

ObscureMammal

Source: http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20141112/388303/?n_cid=nbptec_tecrs

http://techreport.com/news/27356/sharp-latest-igzo-prototype-sets-the-stage-for-4k-phablets

Sharp Corp developed an IGZO LCD panel with a resolution as high as 736ppi.

The highest-resolution LCD panel that the company has so far developed is a low-temperature polycrystalline silicon (LTPS) panel that has a resolution slightly lower than 550ppi. And its highest-resolution IGZO LCD panel was a panel with a resolution slightly lower than 500ppi.

The screen size and pixel count of the newly-developed 736ppi IGZO LCD panel are 4.1 inches and 2,560 x 1,600 (WQXGA), respectively. The resolution of 736ppi is the same as that of a 6-inch 4k panel. With the new technology, Sharp is now ready to realize 4k mobile displays, it said. The company aims to start volume production of the new panel in 2016, planning to start to ship samples for design-in in 2015.

pl9ko2ln9u205gh0oonn.jpg

dd7lhmwjrudobo5brctp.jpg

In a couple of years, supersized smartphones may be available with 4K displays. Nikkei Technology reports that Sharp is demoing a new IGZO prototype that crams a 2560x1600 display resolution into a 4.1" panel. The pixel density works out to an incredible 736 PPI, which is high enough to squeeze a 4K display into a phablet-friendly 6" footprint. For reference, Samsung's Galaxy Note 4 is 515 PPI, Google's Nexus 6 is 493 PPI, and Apple's iPhone 6 Plus is 401 PPI.

Prior to the new prototype, Sharp's highest-density IGZO unit was just under 500 PPI. New, ultra-small pixels enabled the jump to a higher resolution. According to an image posted by Gizmodo, the prototype's RGB clusters are just 11.5 µm wide—less than half the width of the 27-µm pixels found in older 4.7", 720p smartphone displays.

Those 11.5-µm pixels will likely be impossible to see with the naked eye. Higher pixel densities can make images appear sharper and more detailed even when the individual dots are too small to be visible, though. The returns from ever-higher-density displays may not diminish as quickly as one might expect. That said, higher-density displays typically require more power to achieve the same brightness levels.

Sharp's new panel tech is scheduled to start sampling to handset makers next year. Mass production will reportedly begin in 2016.

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why

heard samsung is trying to  ready a 747 ppi super amoled screen

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

We just need 1080p screens in mobile devices, so there is no point in 4k or 2k mobile displays. I just want display that needs minimal power to work, i do not like that screen + brightness in my phone eats 35% of my battery.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

This PPI race has gone too far.  The only difference you can see between 400 PPI and 500+ PPI is lower battery life, slower graphics performance, and higher cost.

Can they please just stick IGZO on smartwatches right now. The technology is almost perfect for it.

As longs as it's IGZO I don't care so much for the resolution so much because it's highly efficient.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Can't wait for this. Higher pixel density on mobile displays means better VR.

ZOMG, i cant wait til we have have 8K smart watches!

that would be so sharp, it would be ridiculous

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

that would be so sharp, it would be ridiculous

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jp

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

wow, soon smartphones will get 4k screens which I think is unnecessary, meanwhile my monitor is still 1080p, 

We just need 1080p screens in mobile devices, so there is no point in 4k or 2k mobile displays.

2k = 1080p ;)

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

2k = 1080p ;)

i call 2k 2560x1440

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.