iMac 5k Retina Display

yeee..... I can thankfully say that newer macs have gotten a bit better (at least compared to my older one). My 2007 MBP would probably light a piece of paper on fire if left in contact long enough under full load. 

ALL companies 'overprice' their products; you don't actually expect them to sell something at cost....do you? 

There's a difference between pricing to make a profit and overpricing.

There's a difference between pricing to make a profit and overpricing.

A difference, which you clearly don't seem to get. 

Apple is no more guilty of overpricing than any other manufacturer, yet if they sold for any significant amount less they'd go out of business quite quickly. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

lmao one time one of my m8s was playing some csgo on his 2012-2013 imac and it was so hot that i touched it and i fucking burnt my finger, not even kidding.

This MacBook I'm using gets really hot; the processor easily reaches 100ºC under heavy load.

During the first months, it actually scalded my left hand fingers a bit; the skin flaked off and it hurts a bit to touch.

On the bright side, now, if I touch the same spot with them, it just feels warm, but if I touch it with my right hand fingers, it's really hot.

Thanks Apple for helping my left hand fingers to develop heat resistance! :D

Currently I'm using it with external 1080p monitor and K70 keyboard on clamshell mode now.

A difference, which you clearly don't seem to get. 

Apple is no more guilty of overpricing than any other manufacturer, yet if they sold for any significant amount less they'd go out of business quite quickly. 

That is absolute crap.

The only reason they sell their products at high prices is due to their brand name and because they know that many non-tech savvy folk would normally go with them due to their overwhelming popularity, which will cause demand to spike and when demand is high and supply low, then price will increase as well.

Apple bulks on their individual components from other manufacturers like for eg. Intel/Samsung,  they then have these components assembled in Eastern countries where labour costs are low (China, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and the Philippines). Then it is shipped to the US to be sold. Given the amount of Iphones that can fit into a single 40ft container, shipping should cost no more than $1.00/phone and given the amount of traffic there is between China and the U.S shipping costs would be relatively cheap.

Even though they say the Iphone 6 costs $200.10 to make, I would easily bet that that $200.10 would cover all expenses + a decent sized profit if they were to sell at that price. 

That is absolute crap.

The only reason they sell their products at high prices is due to their brand name and because they know that many non-tech savvy folk would normally go with them due to their overwhelming popularity, which will cause demand to spike and when demand is high and supply low, then price will increase as well.

Apple bulks on their individual components from other manufacturers like for eg. Intel/Samsung,  they then have these components assembled in Eastern countries where labour costs are low (China, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and the Philippines). Then it is shipped to the US to be sold. Given the amount of Iphones that can fit into a single 40ft container, shipping should cost no more than $1.00/phone and given the amount of traffic there is between China and the U.S shipping costs would be relatively cheap.

Even though they say the Iphone 6 costs $200.10 to make, I would easily bet that that $200.10 would cover all expenses + a decent sized profit if they were to sell at that price. 

sigh. market analysis from bossman111, everyone.

you should probably stop digging before we start calling you ubisoft.

Mac Pro 2013, 3.5GHz 6-core xeon E5, 32GB 1866 ddr3 ECC, 2x AMD Firepro d700 6GB, 512GB PCIe SSD, 3x Dell u2412m 24", Audio-technica ad-700 with Astro mixamp, Logitech g19s, Steelseries Sensei Wireless, Saitek x-55.

Well instead of trying to be a smart a$$ why don't you actually do a bit of research for yourself.

Well instead of trying to be a smart a$$ why don't you actually do a bit of research for yourself.

good idea, ubisoft. says the guy who doesnt know how to drag windows or make folders on the desktop. why dont i research what im talking about more? /s

Mac Pro 2013, 3.5GHz 6-core xeon E5, 32GB 1866 ddr3 ECC, 2x AMD Firepro d700 6GB, 512GB PCIe SSD, 3x Dell u2412m 24", Audio-technica ad-700 with Astro mixamp, Logitech g19s, Steelseries Sensei Wireless, Saitek x-55.

Yeah my Made in USA Mac Pro with workstation grade everything would like a word with him. :P

Never mind the system undercutting all the competition on launch, and even custom builds up until a few months ago. ;)

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

good idea, ubisoft. says the guy who doesnt know how to drag windows or make folders on the desktop. why dont i research what im talking about more? /s

Well Smart a$$ all that shows is that OSX is not user friendly. But omg criticize me for having an opinion why don't you  ;)

good idea, ubisoft.

Oh god, I just died. 

Well Smart a$$ all that shows is that OSX is not user friendly. But omg criticize me for having an opinion why don't you  ;)

Or that you can't manage to figure out how to do something which works EXACTLY the same way as it does on windows. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Regarding Macs getting notoriously hot; yes they do but I have a hard time believing some of the stories here.

Between the iMac G5 2.0, a PowerBook G4 12" 1.67, 15" 1.5, 2009 and 2010 Mac Minis and MacBook Pro 13s, and this 2011 MacBook Pro 15" I have only ever seen the PowerBook 12" get to 100c or over. During WoW it would hit 104c on the CPU but that laptop was known for being ridiculously hot even in Apple terms. Even that crazy machine would not be so hot on the shell as to burn my skin any more than grabbing a hot cup of tea does, let alone burn so much that skin would peel and blister. Apple acknowledges the heat but if it were so bad as to actually cause some significant physical harm I think there would have been uproar by now. I also live at 8,600ft above sea level where there is actually a noticeable decrease in a laptops ability to cool itself, my many trips to California and other coast-line states have been enough to convince me of that. Currently connected to this 1440p display I'll idle about 65c CPU and 62c GPU and it'll hit 70c/64c during normal use and doesn't really seem to deviate from that (and does it silently which is nice). Under full load it'll rarely go over 76c, it seems to throttle and pump the fans as much as it can get keep it right at that mark which is mostly why I'm not so sure about modern reports of them getting excessively hot. It seems like the modern machines (including those 13" I mentioned) have a target and after any extended amount of heavy workload they will settle into that target even if it means some pretty aggressive throttling. 

That said, it's definitely still hot by pretty much any standard other than Apple's. It's easy to understand why those who download temperature monitors for their Macs after using most regular desktop PCs would be alarmed and confused by it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but ... what?

Mac OS X ... Complicated? Are you sure you tried OSX not Linux? 

hahahah

Honestly they should have just made a thunderbolt display for there new mac pro. wtf are they thinking.

Honestly they should have just made a thunderbolt display for there new mac pro. wtf are they thinking.

That the 27" iMac really needed a higher end screen, and that they want to offer a retina screen on all models. 

/Air will eventually get a retina screen 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

I tweeted Linus a week or so ago and it sounds like he's still waiting to do a hardware upgrade on it (I'm curious why). Hope Part 2 comes soon. Been really looking forward to it. 

• 3 weeks later...

For the record it's not a regular SSD, it's a PCIe ssd which are faster. Still very expensive, but it's $300-$100 more for faster speeds.

Sadly they use PCIe over a proprietary interface.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core; Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP ATX LGA1150; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600; GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB; Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower; Storage: 1 WD Black 1TB and 1 Seagate Barracuda 1TB; PSU: Corsair TX750M; Display(s): Asus 1080p 27" and an old Gateway 900p 19"; Cooling: Corsair H80i; Keyboard: AZIO Levetron Mech5 Wired Gaming Keyboard; Mouse: some random Japanese gaming mouse; Operating System: Windows 8.1;

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)

Dell Inspiron 531s running Ubuntu Server 14.04.1 LTS

• 1 month later...

They still make huge bezels, a shiny front bottom part, and only have glass panel options that are impossible tho use in an office environment for editing. Ugh

Oh and they are "stunningly quiet" because they are stunningly hot. The thicker ones that got replaced recently with the really thin ones used to get hot enough at the top to cause burns. I used to set my cold coffee there to warm it up.  A lot of iMacs are known for dead GPUs if you render a lot with them because of the heat issue. 

If you manually adjust the fans they can get really loud, and can cool pretty while being barely audible, but apple made it so they wont be audible. Ever. Even if you are hitting dangerous temperatures. Quiet is one thing but that is irresponsible. 

The ports in the back aren't a design compromise. They have always been like that, even on the previous thicker iMacs. It's asinine. Still pisses me off to this day as I still use the 27" thicker ones from a couple of years ago. Plenty of space on the side for at least a couple of usb ports but I have to pick up/rotate the whole damn thing just to plug a usb in. Wtf apple. That siad suprisingly they don't scratch easily. I noticed that they stayed clean, even with the macs at the university I used to work for the IT department at. Those are very high traffic. The lack of mic jack pisses me off to, I'm pretty certain the old ones had a jack. 

they do last long ill-give it to them  for that.  my friend got his in i think in 6 years ago or 5 and it did have a audio out out if I remember correctly.( dont quote me on it )

A 5K Thunderbolt display requires more bandwidth than Thunderbolt 2 can handle. eDP 1.3 can push a single tile 5K @ 60Hz, which is what this uses, but Apple put together their own timing controller (either a heavily modified 1.3 or two bonded 1.2s or something else entirely). 

If Apple wants a 5K Thunderbolt display, they'll likely wait for Thunderbolt 3 which will show up with Skylake to launch a TB3 equipped Thunderbolt display that will be able to handle power and video off a single cable (TB3 can handle HDMI 2.0, DP 1.3, PCIe Gen 3 x2/x4)

So its just a fact that Apple put forward a panel that required tech that didn't exist at the time in a standalone manner and thus had to cobble together a very custom solution that only makes sense because they currently only use them in AIO iMacs. 

In their AIO they can get away with a custom TCON that is bonded pipelines, but for a external display they can't. They need TB3/DP1.3 to show up along with Skylake so the iMacs, Mac Pros and laptops can make use of the 5K display AND perhaps once TB3 shows up, Apple can ditch their current TCON and go to a conventional one that would allow the iMacs to regain their "Target Display" modes. 

Dells 5K, AFAIK, doesn't use a single tile but rather a multi-tile display and thus uses a different controller entirely.