iMac 5k Retina Display

Well I tried to use the Mac Book for about a month and utterly failed at doing so. I had to send my Sager Clevo to RMA as it fell and a few of the components broke....But anyways my point is that its interface is really difficult to use unless you know how, and I'm quite sure once you understand it, you may be able to better use it. For example, if I want to multi task and have multiple windows up at the same time I need to use 3 fingers to grab each window and move them where I need to which is just....unnecessary. On windows 8 to quote Lord of The Rings One finger to rule them all  :P

Which is why you need to do research when you're switching OS. For example I've been using Expose since Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (2005). Which is F3 on newer Apple Keyboards, I have it mapped to one of my buttons on my mouse as I use it every day.

Yes Windows and Mac OS X do things differently however its not that hard to learn OSX.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Which is why you need to do research when you're switching OS. For example I've been using Expose since Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (2005). Which is F3 on newer Apple Keyboards, I have it mapped to one of my buttons on my mouse as I use it every day.

Yes Windows and Mac OS X do things differently however its not that hard to learn OSX.

Well I tried to use the Mac Book for about a month and utterly failed at doing so. I had to send my Sager Clevo to RMA as it fell and a few of the components broke....But anyways my point is that its interface is really difficult to use unless you know how, and I'm quite sure once you understand it, you may be able to better use it. For example, if I want to multi task and have multiple windows up at the same time I need to use 3 fingers to grab each window and move them where I need to which is just....unnecessary. On windows 8 to quote Lord of The Rings One finger to rule them all  :P

this part isnt even different! click and drag works the same as it does on windows 

Mac Pro 2013, 3.5GHz 6-core xeon E5, 32GB 1866 ddr3 ECC, 2x AMD Firepro d700 6GB, 512GB PCIe SSD, 3x Dell u2412m 24", Audio-technica ad-700 with Astro mixamp, Logitech g19s, Steelseries Sensei Wireless, Saitek x-55.

this part isnt even different! click and drag works the same as it does on windows 

Indeed in fact Apple and Microsoft went to court over this back in the early 90s :lol: Yep Apple have always done this crap xD

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

My rig is actually quieter than my iMac. But they are beautiful machines. The Magic Mouse isn't very ergonomic though and the keyboard is, well, reasonable but not amazing.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

i want to give you the benefit of the doubt, but its clear you have never truly given osx a chance. you cant simply expect everything about the ui to be identical when switching from windows to osx. even a cursory look in system preferences or half an hour googling would have resolved every single issue you're talking about. furthermore a decent amount of it is literally almost identical. osx has the 3 color coded buttons on the top of the window. osx has almost identical file management (better in some ways) as windows. moving windows is literally identical. the list goes on. with the exception of incompatible apps you havent even mentioned any of the actual differences in osx.

your preconceptions are throwing off your analysis. windows is no more intuitive (and dare i say less intuitive) than osx, but you're simply comparing how "simple" something is based on what you already know how do to. if you had never used either the windows shortcuts would be just as confusing.

due the the fact that you're on this forum i am assuming that you arent as inept as you're coming off, therefore i must conclude that there is no way you used osx in any significant way for "a month". if you use osx for a month and you dont know how files work (especially when is almost IDENTICAL to windows), and you dont know that windows have the same 3 buttons on the top (granted its on top left not the top right- i know, super confusing /s) you are not using osx significantly.

and this is just straight bullshit. apple does charge more money because they spend more on design, on support and because they give you a machine fully built that requires no tinkering of any sort (just werks). and yeah then theres the apple tax™ which has been getting better for a lot of apple machines to the point that most of them are decent buys (mba, mbpr, 5k imac, etc) but the parts they use are neither outdated nor "inefficient" compared to pc parts. that is just nonsense (the exception is right after a new product like a cpu comes out before apple integrates it in the next refresh of the line). apple has in some cases had things like nex gen cpus BEFORE the general pc market. so no, i dont agree.

You are welcome to state your opinions and I am allowed to state mines. I have in fact used the Mac OSX and found it to be very inefficient when trying to do work for reasons as stated before.

Yes there are three buttons on the left side of the window however there is no sort of indicator as to what they can do (believe it or not I did actually figure out what the red and yellow buttons did eventually, but still not sure what the point of the green one actually is), and to actually maximize the window or make it go full screen why put the the button on the right side away from the others and for that matter why put the "return to normal size" button on the drop down menu, why not just keep everything on the left alongside the three colour indicated buttons instead of having to go searching for it. Furthermore why must I use three fingers to move the window around, why can't I use one finger to do the majority of things I need it to do, such as I donno drag and drop files (need three fingers to do that as well).

Also for scrolling why can't apple just put some sort of tool on the browser to allow for scrolling instead of needing I think two fingers to scroll. Apple is supposed to be user-friendly but it takes the simple things and makes them much harder to understand.

Regarding the hardware, why don't you come down from bullshit mountain and actually look at the specs of the hardware apple sells you. For example The Apple iMac ME086LL/A 21.5-Inch Desktop (NEWEST VERSION) specs are as follows:

-2.7 GHz Base Clock Quad-Core Intel Core i5 Processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz) with 6MB L3 cache
-1TB (5400-rpm) Hard Drive, 8 GB (Two 4 GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 Memory
-21.5-inch (Diagonal) LED-backlit Display with IPS Technology; 1920-by-1080 Resolution
- Intel Iris Pro Graphics
Cost: $1279.00

PC with superior capabilities:
-Intel Core i5-3330 3.0GHz Base Clock Quad-Core Processor with 6MB L3 cache
-Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
- Acer H226HQLbid 60Hz 21.5" Monitor with IPS Technology; 1920-by-1080 Resolution
Asus Radeon R7 260X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card
Cost: $965.19

It may not be all in one (please see the previous post for the all in one pc that is cheaper than the Mac), but it is still considerably cheaper AND contains better quality. You can pay someone at GeekSquad in Best Buy $100 or less to assemble it for you if you're that lazy but still you will win out in the end buy going with PC.

Not with the touchpad it doesn't

Not with the touchpad it doesn't

It's the same thing... 

You can drag and drop files with two fingers or one finger for that matter....what are you talking about. And you can enable a scroll bar, not to mention a scroll bar appears the instant you start scrolling with two fingers (or a scroll wheel).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

My rig is actually quieter than my iMac. But they are beautiful machines. The Magic Mouse isn't very ergonomic though and the keyboard is, well, reasonable but not amazing.

Agreed aesthetics is one thing Apple has done incredibly well.

It's the same thing... 

No you need three fingers to hold and drag things when using the touch pad.

No you don't..... 

You can drag and drop files with two fingers or one finger for that matter....what are you talking about. And you can enable a scroll bar, not to mention a scroll bar appears the instant you start scrolling with two fingers (or a scroll wheel).

P.s. comparing an AIO to a custom desktop....nice. If you want to complain about the pricing of the imac then you need to be comparing with a Dell, HP, Lenovo, or other AIO prebuilt system. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

wrong

No you don't..... 

correct.

its like he didnt even read the posts i made. i dont know how to make it much clearer. YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG bossman111. inb4 he links me irrelevant specs to something.

Mac Pro 2013, 3.5GHz 6-core xeon E5, 32GB 1866 ddr3 ECC, 2x AMD Firepro d700 6GB, 512GB PCIe SSD, 3x Dell u2412m 24", Audio-technica ad-700 with Astro mixamp, Logitech g19s, Steelseries Sensei Wireless, Saitek x-55.

Windows is easy to use, OSX is complicated and unnecessary, so yes I have stopped using OSX after giving it about a month.

Well I think that says it all. No need for any further discussion with you.

You have proven multiple times, that you have no clue about OS X.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

its like he didnt even read the posts i made. i dont know how to make it much clearer. YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG bossman111

Its not even wrong....the trackpad on macs works exactly the same way as one on windows with two possible exceptions. 

One being inverted scrolling (which can be disabled). 

and two being no discrete buttons (and a lack of a right click button); however there are laptops running windows that use the some style trackpad.

Well I think that says it all. No need for any further discussion with you.

It's really hard to learn how to use an OS that a large majority of tech-illiterates use just fine.

I mean, you have to get used to the window-action buttons on the wrong side, and...ummm...

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

No you don't..... 

P.s. comparing an AIO to a custom desktop....nice. If you want to complain about the pricing of the imac then you need to be comparing with a Dell, HP, Lenovo, or other AIO prebuilt system. 

On a mac default (that means without any changes to the system shortcuts) it is 3 fingers to position or re-position a window and I am referring to the touch pad  (that means the biometric sensor which usually takes the shape of a square and is located below the keyboard). Of course you can enable the scroll bar, but for people who have no idea how to do that we have to either find out that you need to use two fingers to scroll or find out how to enable the scroll bar

Also please read the previous post I made which had an All in One custom desktop at a cheaper price than a Mac with superior parts

On a mac default (that means without any changes to the system shortcuts) it is 3 fingers to position or re-position a window.

Also please read the previous post I made which had an All in One custom desktop at a cheaper price than a Mac with superior parts

No it's not. Its two fingers by default; and you can enable tap and hold thereby making it possible with one finger. 

Link me to the post then, I'm not looking through pages of crap to find it. And I'm not saying iMacs aren't overpriced, I pay no attention to them or any AIO (or their pricing), but Macbooks are not overpriced, and neither are the Mac Pros when you look at the hardware inside of them.

All in one custom desktop....u wot m8 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Its not even wrong....the trackpad on macs works exactly the same way as one on windows with two possible exceptions. 

One being inverted scrolling (which can be disabled). 

and two being no discrete buttons (and a lack of a right click button); however there are laptops running windows that use the some style trackpad.

i was saying you were right and he was wrong. but also you can still set up a literal right and left click it knows which side you're hitting because the trackpad is the button. theres an option in trackpad prefs to switch the two finger secondary click to a right or left click.

i was saying you were right and he was wrong. but also you can still set up a literal right and left click it knows which side you're hitting because the trackpad is the button. theres an option in trackpad prefs to switch the two finger secondary click to a right or left click.

My point was hes more than wrong ;) 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

On a mac default (that means without any changes to the system shortcuts) it is 3 fingers to position or re-position a window.

you can also do it by clicking and dragging the window EXACTLY the same way you do in windows. you're just not correct here dude. the default system settings do not have to be changed for this.

No it is not. (and I am using OS X since 2006)

"All in One" ... lol

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

No it's not. Its two fingers by default; and you can enable tap and hold thereby making it possible with one finger. 

Link me to the post then, I'm not looking through pages of crap to find it. And I'm not saying iMacs aren't overpriced, I pay no attention to them or any AIO (or their pricing), but Macbooks are not overpriced, and neither are the Mac Pros when you look at the hardware inside of them.

All in one custom desktop....u wot m8 

Here you go:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Lmxjbv

Okay, so then Dell, HP, Lenovo, other are all overpriced as well. 

You can't compare a custom build to a prebuilt system. And again, the iMac will take up half the physical space as that? (which can often be a big difference). 

Dell AIOs sporting a Haswell i5: http://www.dell.com/us/p/desktops?~ck=mn#!facets=135390~0~16387357,153558~0~8739390&p=1 

Lenovo AIOs sporting a Haswell i3: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/thinkcentre/e-series/e93z/ 

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/thinkcentre/m-series-all-in-ones/m93z/

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

They still make huge bezels, a shiny front bottom part, and only have glass panel options that are impossible tho use in an office environment for editing. Ugh

Oh and they are "stunningly quiet" because they are stunningly hot. The thicker ones that got replaced recently with the really thin ones used to get hot enough at the top to cause burns. I used to set my cold coffee there to warm it up.  A lot of iMacs are known for dead GPUs if you render a lot with them because of the heat issue. 

If you manually adjust the fans they can get really loud, and can cool pretty while being barely audible, but apple made it so they wont be audible. Ever. Even if you are hitting dangerous temperatures. Quiet is one thing but that is irresponsible. 

The ports in the back aren't a design compromise. They have always been like that, even on the previous thicker iMacs. It's asinine. Still pisses me off to this day as I still use the 27" thicker ones from a couple of years ago. Plenty of space on the side for at least a couple of usb ports but I have to pick up/rotate the whole damn thing just to plug a usb in. Wtf apple. That siad suprisingly they don't scratch easily. I noticed that they stayed clean, even with the macs at the university I used to work for the IT department at. Those are very high traffic. The lack of mic jack pisses me off to, I'm pretty certain the old ones had a jack. 

lmao one time one of my m8s was playing some csgo on his 2012-2013 imac and it was so hot that i touched it and i fucking burnt my finger, not even kidding.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Okay, so then Dell, HP, Lenovo, other are all overpriced as well. 

You can't compare a custom build to a prebuilt system. And again, the iMac will take up half the physical space as that? (which can often be a big difference). 

Dell AIOs sporting a Haswell i5: http://www.dell.com/us/p/desktops?~ck=mn#!facets=135390~0~16387357,153558~0~8739390&p=1 

I am in no saying that other companies aren't as bad as apple, but what I am saying is apple does in fact overprice their products.

Also please do you research before posting;

The pre-built system dimensions  23.19" x 9.76" x 21.30"  vs Mac ME086LL/A dimensions 20.80" x 6.90" x 17.70" inches

And also the Dell 23" Inspirion is only $899 and has a much better processor + is touch enabled  vs the MacsMF883LL/A 21.5-Inch Desktop

lmao one time one of my m8s was playing some csgo on his 2012-2013 imac and it was so hot that i touched it and i fucking burnt my finger, not even kidding.

yeee..... I can thankfully say that newer macs have gotten a bit better (at least compared to my older one). My 2007 MBP would probably light a piece of paper on fire if left in contact long enough under full load. 

I am in no saying that other companies aren't as bad as apple, but what I am saying is apple does in fact overprice their products.

Also please do you research before posting;

The pre-built system dimensions  23.19" x 9.76" x 21.30"  vs Mac ME086LL/A dimensions 20.80" x 6.90" x 17.70" inches

ALL companies 'overprice' their products; you don't actually expect them to sell something at cost....do you? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

i dont believe you. all macs have a plethora of temperature sensors including skin temp sensors which keep the skin of the mac within operating range. if temps exceed this amount (which you can do on purpose for fun) the machine will thermal throttle and eventually shut completely off.

i dont doubt that it was hot, i dont even doubt that it was uncomfortably hot. but functioning macs cannot burn you.

as an aside, apple has taken to calling their laptops "portables" due to the excessive heat they can generate. they still wont burn you though.