EU Court: Embedding Content Is Not Copyright Infringement

Source

Source 2 (German)

This is from Oct 25, yet has not been posted here.

The Court of Justice of the European Union handed down a landmark verdict this week. The Court ruled that embedding copyrighted videos is not copyright infringement, even if the source video was uploaded without permission. [...]

This week the Court of Justice issued a landmark ruling on one such case that deals with a crucial and integral part of today’s Internet. Is it legal to embed copyrighted content without permission from the rightsholder?

The case in question was referred to EU’s Court of Justice by a German court. It deals with a dispute between the water filtering company BestWater International and two men who work as independent commercial agents for a competitor. Bestwater accused the men of embedding one of their promotional videos, which was available on YouTube without the company’s permission. The video was embedded on the personal website of the two through a frame, as is usual with YouTube videos. While EU law is clear on most piracy issues, the copyright directive says very little about embedding copyrighted works. The Court of Justice, however, now argues that embedding is not copyright infringement. [...]

The Court argues that embedding a file or video is not a breach of creator’s copyrights under European law, as long as it’s not altered or communicated to a new public. In the current case, the video was already available on YouTube so embedding it is not seen as a new communication. “The embedding in a website of a protected work which is publicly accessible on another website by means of a link using the framing technology [...] does not by itself constitute communication to the public within the meaning of the EU Copyright directive to the extent that the relevant work is neither communicated to a new public nor by using a specific technical means different from that used for the original communication,” the Court’s verdict reads. The Court based its verdict on an earlier decision [...] where it found that hyperlinking to a previously published work is not copyright infringement. Together, both cases will have a major impact on future copyright cases in the EU.

For Internet users it means that they are protected from liability if they embed copyrighted videos or images from other websites, for example. In addition, it may also protect streaming sites who use third-party services to embed videos, even if the source is an infringing copy. During the days to come the Court of Justice is expected to issue official translations of the ruling as well as a press release. [...]

This is one fine verdict. As long as a piece of content (be it a video, image or any other copyrighted material) is publicly available on the web, embedding it somewhere else (even in a different context!) is not copyright infringement. I assume that this is mainly important for lay webmasters, who do not dive into copyright details. Measurements against having material taken out of context can now definitely only be taken by providing necessary information in the piece of material itself (watermarks or opening credits for instance). Or by taking it down.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Great finally a government not being retarted

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Probs will be rejected by Davey C in his new "bill of rights" coz UKIP is all up in his grill

Compatible with Windows 95

This is basic shit...

so you'd think.

WMG used to send cease and desist letters to forums where users linked to youtube videos, even official ones, or even TALKED about copyrighted music.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

This is basic shit...

so you'd think.

WMG used to send cease and desist letters to forums where users linked to youtube videos, even official ones, or even TALKED about copyrighted music.

with all these internet highways ans stuff going on in the USA, I always wonder how come the government aren't burning yet, that would be the case here in Europe.

Although It hasn't happened in Budapest this time, because the government gave in quickly.

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3

This is nice, but there is one problem guys

EU court of Justice is an international court and decisions made there do not affect the entire world, and it can also be against the legal system in some countries.

The bigger problem is that the US uses a different legal system than most of Europe. This decision is not even something very new since European countries have different copyright laws, there is no single law for the entire Europe so some countries may have even less restrictions in that area.

For us Europeans this is fine, but you guys in the North America have it rough, and this will do next to nothing for you, at least right now, more worldwide judicial decisions might actually force the US law makers to adapt, but i would not hold my breath waiting for it...

This is a victory for the science of law, because we are getting answers for questions that are asked quite often, but only now we have major world legal system giving it's oppinion, the more systems accept this the better for everyone in the long run, less patent trolls, etc...

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

with all these internet highways ans stuff going on in the USA, I always wonder how come the government aren't burning yet, that would be the case here in Europe.

Although It hasn't happened in Budapest this time, because the government gave in quickly.

Because no one really cares here in America. It's non-existent in political hot-button issues and debates. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

OMG

look people

its common sense

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

And then here in the us, the complete opposite kind of thing is happening. All people care about in the us are celebrity scandals and everything else that isn't important it seems like.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

And then here in the us, the complete opposite kind of thing is happening. All people care about in the us are celebrity scandals and everything else that isn't important it seems like.

People are worried about ISIL sending ebola to America through illegal Mexicans. Yah know, the logical thing to be worried about. 

muh specs 

All parts black

People are worried about ISIL sending ebola to America through illegal Mexicans. Yah know, the logical thing to be worried about. 

I have lost all faith in society....

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Probs will be rejected by Davey C in his new "bill of rights" coz UKIP is all up in his grill

Doesn't matter what Cameron says, because we don't make our own laws, some nobody in Brussels does.

Not to say that I don't agree with this law - I do - but still.

This is basic shit...

It should be, but the copyright system is so counter intuitive and stupid nothing about it is basic.

-------

Current Rig

-------

OMG

look people

its common sense

Take a picture, quick! before it escapes!

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs