"Google to reveal major advances to Project Ara in January"

Tro

Source 

Damn... Hearing about this idea first, i was so skeptical.

Now, it seems like this actually is making some awesome progress and i can't wait to see what it has to offer at launch (if it ever launches, who knows)

This January Google will reveal "major advances", which i am pretty excited for.

ara3-e1397640699764.jpg

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I wanted one so badly, but now I have an m8, I'm kinda set for a while :[

Diamond 5 in League :)

I am still amazed that they are actually going through with project ara. If it was any other company, the idea would have died a long time ago. Google is awesome.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I wanted one so badly, but now I have an m8, I'm kinda set for a while :[

Just got an S4, I hope to purchase the ara when it comes out, but i don't know if i will have the money to  :(

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I've participated in the ara community stuff (lots of questionnaires and 'draw your own design' and 'carry this around and write about it') and watched last year's conference. I'm really excited to see the improvements 

Best news of the day! I hope my old phone will last another year ...

Same here good old HTC Sensation. Still going strong. Touch wood

Steve

That thing is going to need a case. Nothing like dropping your phone and it actually does explode in to several pieces.

That thing is going to need a case. Nothing like dropping your phone and it actually does explode in to several pieces.

I'm guessing each segment is going to slide in and lock itself. 

I'm interested in seeing the prices for Ara and the components. Like would you be better off just buying a high end phone from the beginning and upgrading to a new phone in a few years.  

I'm guessing each segment is going to slide in and lock itself. 

Locks (probably just tabs) only do so much.

Locks (probably just tabs) only do so much.

Well... you could just.. you know... not drop your phone...

Barely dropped my S4 so far.

Well... you could just.. you know... not drop your phone...

Barely dropped my S4 so far.

That's like asking the greater population to have common sense, it ain't going to happen.

This is an interesting project by far, but considering my only concern with a phone anymore is aesthetics, and I really don't think this is a great looking phone, it's not something I can see myself using.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I am happy to see that the project is still being worked on. This is great!

I don't like the fact that there's different size of modules. I thought it was going to be a grid where if you want a module that take 2 slots, you can. In the current form factor, let say I want to add a second battery, I'll need to move some but that doesn't mean they'll fit in other spots. So you would need to buy a new battery plus a new form factor of the module you want to relocate ? 

If you can just replace modules with a better one, I guess it's ok... I would have hoped to make an Ara with just batteries :P

See it booting up ! Something we didn't see yet. 

That is awesome.... Thanks for sharing! :)

ugh another article with no actual updates

why do news websites keeps re-releasing old info about ara

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

"We advanced enough to reach the conclusion that this is not possible, and is just an artist's fantasy"

Lol hope it's not that.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

ugh another article with no actual updates

why do news websites keeps re-releasing old info about ara

I for example didnt know there is an event in January, and aim to sell this device the same year :) So its news for me. Also there hasnt been any info about ARA for several weeks on "Tech news" section of the forum. 1st time i watched the video with working prototype too.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

So smartphones are becoming PCs now. I kinda like the idea.

And same as with PCs, general public will have no idea whats difference between processors, rams, storage etc. They will want pre-built phone (chance for success) or go with apple,sony etc. instead.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I for example didnt know there is an event in January, and aim to sell this device the same year :) So its news for me. Also there hasnt been any info about ARA for several weeks on "Tech news" section of the forum. 1st time i watched the video with working prototype too.

well the video is new

i was talking about the link in the OP

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.