IKEA BEKANT Motorized Desk

cae

From HEXUS - http://hexus.net/ce/news/gadgets/76317-ikea-bekant-motorised-sit-stand-desks-now-available/

Not sure how many LTT readers would care about an elevating desk, but IKEA has thrown their hat in the ring. This is great news for me; I've been looking at motorized desks for a short while but other companies were either prohibitively expensive, especially when considering shipping, or their track record was unclear. IKEA addresses both of these concerns by pricing the BEKANT desk at $479 to start (undercutting the GeekDesk by a substantial amount), and also offering a 10 year warranty for the entire desk. The trade off, as I see it, is that the BEKANT only has a 70kg lifting capacity, about half that of more expensive offerings.

I know there are many that would scoff at the idea of a $100 desk, let alone one costing $479 or more. I routinely get up and move around to get the blood flowing, but most of the time I'd like to continue working without compromising posture. Even ergonomic seating can't completely overcome the stresses of sitting. That's where the elevating desk comes in. It's not for everyone, but I'm comfortable paying for higher quality interfaces, especially if it can improve my health.

I spent $80 on my desk.

The funny part? It's composed of two IKEA tables.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Thats new. I may consider it if it doesnt become stupid expensive.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I might have a look at this actually. Raising my galant is a massive faff.

And since nobody was wondering i thought i'd add that Bekant is swedish for Familiar

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Well is this what they make after killing GALANT? 

oh well

Also, IKEA FTW!!

(90% of my furniture is IKEA!)

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Thats new. I may consider it if it doesnt become stupid expensive.

Starts at $479.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

oh well

Also, IKEA FTW!!

GALANT is over? Heresy.

I'm still using 2 Ikea Jerker Desks. They need to bring that back its the best desk they have made.

Starts at $479.

Which could be a bargain, considering other elevating desks can easily double or triple (!) that price. Still a tough pill for some to swallow, and many won't. :)

Only 70KG... what do you keep on your desk bruh?

This isn't my cup of tea tho, I'll stick to my comfortable computer chair and short trips around the house to stretch my legs.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

I spent $80 on my desk.

The funny part? It's composed of two IKEA tables.

Same I use two ikea cabinets and an Ikea glass top :)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Only 70KG... what do you keep on your desk bruh?

Yeah, can't throw your significant other on it and adjust for perfect.. positioning. ;) A notable flaw to some, I suppose. I'd be surprised if there was 15kg on my desk at any one time.

Damn, it doesn't seem to be available in Canada yet. I'm kind of interested in just buying the under-frame and using my own tabletop.

oh well

Also, IKEA FTW!!

Whattt? Killed the galant?

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

yup. Sad truth

Now its a smaller desk that honestly;sucks :(

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

yup. Sad truth

Now its a smaller desk that honestly;sucks :(

I don't understand... They don't sell gallant anymore?

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Which could be a bargain, considering other elevating desks can easily double or triple (!) that price. Still a tough pill for some to swallow, and many won't. :)

Agreed, it might be a bargain if it's nice. The elevating desk I have at work is about 1.5k and it's probably the best thing ever. :D

I don't understand... They don't sell gallant anymore?

yeah its gone.

Replaced by a pretty poopy one

Pretty nice considering the price of similar products. Not for me though, 480 euros... nty...

Interested in Business and Technology

Yeah, can't throw your significant other on it and adjust for perfect.. positioning. ;) A notable flaw to some, I suppose. I'd be surprised if there was 15kg on my desk at any one time.

That's what my very sturdy kitchen table is for. ;)

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Starts at $479.

I live out of the USA, it'll be like $400 more.

fml just bought a galant.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Never even thought about motorized desks until I had a minor injury to my back. Since sitting down puts a lot of stress on my lumbar, I'm excited to see an affordable option that will allow me to stand and do work at home...or game :)

The last time I checked, a week or so, there's no memory control. So if you are the type that alternates between sit and stand it would be hard to get your ideal sit and stand heights. Still, compared to many options out there I think the closest to this desk in price is the startup Standesk.

It would be great if we can swap the controller ikea gives with a memory controller :D