Plasti dip has air bubbles?

clarkmcc

It's just like painting.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Did you just spray until completely coated or did you do several light coats?

You put too much on at a time.

You need to make it look like something like this:

f7JVw4i.jpg

Extremely light powdery coats. Do one coat, let it dry 30 mins, do another, repeat. It should take you about 20-40 coats before it is completely opaque. You should only spray lightly for about two seconds per coat. Do not keep the spray can still in one spot, pan it slowly across from left to right.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Several light coats

There are two methods which can vary depending on how you approach it, very very many light coats like Enderman suggested giving it a nice evenly texture finish or wetting the entire surface but not so much to create runs or bubbles which give a larger flatter texture. Depending on coverage it should take around 3-5 coats, with plasti-dip you need to be very concious of spray distance and movement of the can, more so than paint I find since it's a rubber product it starts tacking up faster than regular spray paint. It also helps to place the items down on a surface and spray on it rather than hanging it since it prevents runs if you try wetting the entire surface.

Thanks a lot. Ill try it.

You put too much on at a time.

You need to make it look like something like this:

Extremely light powdery coats. Do one coat, let it dry 30 mins, do another, repeat. It should take you about 20-40 coats before it is completely opaque. You should only spray lightly for about two seconds per coat. Do not keep the spray can still in one spot, pan it slowly across from left to right.

There are two methods which can vary depending on how you approach it, very very many light coats like Enderman suggested giving it a nice evenly texture finish or wetting the entire surface but not so much to create runs or bubbles which give a larger flatter texture. Depending on coverage it should take around 3-5 coats, with plasti-dip you need to be very concious of spray distance and movement of the can, more so than paint I find since it's a rubber product it starts tacking up faster than regular spray paint. It also helps to place the items down on a surface and spray on it rather than hanging it since it prevents runs if you try wetting the entire surface.

Thanks a lot. Ill try it.

Here are a few more pics for guidance :)

This is what you dont want to do:

ZFdFUjW.jpg

This is after about 3-5 coats:

e8qdUrV.jpg

This is after about 10:

ln8PT0X.jpg

This is after about 20-30:

6vjGEoW.jpg

fSpYCeP.jpg

And finally this is what it looks like after you are done:

0u5fIm1.jpg

Hope this helps a little ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This is what you dont want to do:

ZFdFUjW.jpg

This is after about 3-5 coats:

e8qdUrV.jpg

This is after about 10:

ln8PT0X.jpg

This is after about 20-30:

6vjGEoW.jpg

fSpYCeP.jpg

And finally this is what it looks like after you are done:

0u5fIm1.jpg

Looks good thahnks!

Looks good thahnks!

Youre welcome :)

Spoiler

you need a lot of patience with this stuff, so i gues you used a spray can? 

so when i used plasti dip from a spray can 1, you need to shake it everytime you gonna use it. 2, if you hold the spray can horizontal you gonna get alot of air mixed with the paint. 3, when you start spraying, spray the first bit on a paper or something so that the little tube inside of the can, can fill up. if you don't, you get to much air in it.

this is how i did it, (i'm not a prof in painting but this worked for me when painting my gpu's)

1. shake the can for a good minute(especially for first use).

2.get a old news paper or something and spray on it till the paint comes out nice( not to much obviously but just to fill up the tube that's inside the spraycan)

3.start spraying a light coat(you still can see the original color of your RAM/PSU) ( Second coat you can just see the original color ) and you just keep going with light coats till your happy with the result.

4. wait about 20-30min between every coat!

if you keep repeating these steps you should be fine.

again this is how i did it, and it worked for me.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

Does plasti dip texture all looks like that? It looks pretty awful to me with all the little holes :/

i5 4690k, Z97m gaming, Kingston Savage 2x4gb 1600, Msi r9 290, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv, WD Blue 1tb, CM V650, Asus VX239H, CM Quickfire Rapid-I, Logitech G502.

Does plasti dip texture all looks like that? It looks pretty awful to me with all the little holes :/

It is a matte finish, not glossy.

That was a really close up image, this is more what it looks like irl:

S6Q4Rp0.jpg

3Z5dxkf.jpg

It is textured, not flat. The smoothness will also depend on the material you paint. In these images I was painting a rubber tube, but if you paint a flat surface it will look much different.

Spoiler

yea it depends on the material you paint on,: my 760 shroud

FzlMSLb.jpg

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

It is a matte finish, not glossy.

That was a really close up image, this is more what it looks like irl:

It is textured, not flat. The smoothness will also depend on the material you paint. In these images I was painting a rubber tube, but if you paint a flat surface it will look much different.

ah, irl pictures is better.. I guess the flexible tube made the plasti dip looks rough, other pics i saw on internet looks smoother.

yea it depends on the material you paint on,: my 760 shroud

Is it smooth to touch?

i5 4690k, Z97m gaming, Kingston Savage 2x4gb 1600, Msi r9 290, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv, WD Blue 1tb, CM V650, Asus VX239H, CM Quickfire Rapid-I, Logitech G502.

ah, irl pictures is better.. I guess the flexible tube made the plasti dip looks rough, other pics i saw on internet looks smoother.

Is it smooth to touch?

Before I painted my H100i I did a small test on a piece of latex tubing...it looked way smoother.

So yeah its definitely the type of material you paint on.

Spoiler

Is it smooth to touch?

yes it is smooth, like people said before it all depends on the material. 

but in this case it's about a PSU and ram, so i would say if you get airbubles on the psu you painting it the wrong way. painting ram sticks can be difficult, but again it depends what ram he's painting and what kind of surface it is

It is a textured finish so it will occur slightly but depending on the method you can get more or less texture, it also has to do with the lighting since plasti-dip tends to show up grainy in photos if there isn't bright lighting up over it, I have a panel that I painted a while ago and it's pretty smooth and flat similar to a very fine orange peel texture other than one or two spots that had a bit of texture.