What should I do with this server?

ces160

Hi Everyone, 

Recently I was lucky enough to get one of my companies old servers that they were discarding. 

The exact model is a Dell PowerEdge XS23-SB.

The important specs are as follows (the server has 4 nodes with the following specs in each node);

- 2 x Intel Xenon L5420 quad core cpu's

- 32Gb DDR2 ECC Ram

The exact model can be found here;

http://unixsurplus.com/product/dell-poweredge-xs23-sb-8x-l5420-25ghz-quad-core-128gb-4x1tb-4-nodes-server-w-rack-kit

For a few months now this has been sitting under my bed for a multitude of reasons ( 1. It sounds like a JET engine when it is on, and in a one bedroom apartment I really have no where to put it).

So I come to you, what should I do with it? My options are;

1. Break it down into 4 separate commuters and use a more traditional ATX type cases where I can control the noise better? This would involve getting 4 LGA 771 motherboards, 4 cases and 4 power supplies.

2. Sell it? As I live in Australia there is not to many of these types of things available. I am confident I would be able to sell if for around $2300 AUD.

3. Refurbish it and get some where to host it (its a little beat up and missing all but 4 of the drive caddies)? Again, Australia. Hosting will cost allot and my home upload speed is almost non existent, so trying to upload anything to if from my home would be extremely slow.

And if I were to keep it, what are some of the things I can use it for?

Is there anything the LTT community could use this for? Let me know what you think. 

Thanks for the help.

-Cameron

1. There are only two CPUs, not four, so you could only break it into two different servers/computers.

2. If you need the money and have no use for it then sell it and upgrade/build your rig.

3. Wouldn't bother with it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1. There are only two CPUs, not four, so you could only break it into two different servers/computers.

2. If you need the money and have no use for it then sell it and upgrade/build your rig.

There is a total of 8 CPU's. 2 x CPU per node x 4 nodes.

if you lived in canada. id buy it

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I would just sell it TBH

'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'

Ah alright.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You cant really break one server into 2 separate computers without buying two new motherboards and PSUs, one for each CPU.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You cant really break one server into 2 separate computers without buying two new motherboards and PSUs, one for each CPU.

I was thinking of getting 4 of of these Intel S5000XVN SATA boards and running them as 4 separate computers.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Intel-S5000XVNSATA-motherboard-2-X-LGA771-S5000XVNSATAR-RAID-7-x-USB-/251253679680?pt=Motherboards&hash=item3a7fe2e640

I would also have to get 4 new cases and 4 new PSU's

Do you think its worth it?

1. Break it down into 4 separate commuters and use a more traditional ATX type cases where I can control the noise better? This would involve getting 4 LGA 771 motherboards, 4 cases and 4 power supplies.

What you said was to divide one server into 2 computers since it had two processors.

I know the OP means something different.

I was talking to you, not the OP ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I was thinking of getting 4 of of these Intel S5000XVN SATA boards and running them as 4 separate computers.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Intel-S5000XVNSATA-motherboard-2-X-LGA771-S5000XVNSATAR-RAID-7-x-USB-/251253679680?pt=Motherboards&hash=item3a7fe2e640

I would also have to get 4 new cases and 4 new PSU's

Do you think its worth it?

not really unless you want a rendering farm or can sell those computers, I dont see how else you would use them...

Spoiler

not really unless you want a rendering farm or can sell those computers, I dont see how else you would use them...

I considered the rendering Idea. Ran some tests when I got it and my 2600K rendered the same content in about half the time one of the nodes did.

I considered the rendering Idea. Ran some tests when I got it and my 2600K rendered the same content in about half the time one of the nodes did.

Then I wouldnt use them for anything.

Sell them if possible, or put them on display somewhere :P

Spoiler

Try Proxmox to break it into a lot of Virtual Machines.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

What you said was to divide one server into 2 computers since it had two processors.

I know the OP means something different.

I was talking to you, not the OP ;)

He had corrected me on the number of CPUs.

Then I wouldnt use them for anything.

Sell them if possible, or put them on display somewhere :P

Thanks, kinda thought is was a bit old. Might sell it and use the money to build a new home media / file server.

Try Proxmox to break it into a lot of Virtual Machines.

OK, so what can I do with a bunch of Virtual Machines?

He had corrected me on the number of CPUs.

I replied to you at almost the exact time he did, so i didnt see his reply until after I had posted mine. Thats how the forum works ;)

Spoiler

OK, so what can I do with a bunch of Virtual Machines?

It's basically just a whole bunch of computers, you could lease them on rent if you have a Static IP and a good internet connection.

*Static IP is not completely necessary.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

JUST SELL IT! then you can use that money to upgrade your currnet PC

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W

Spoiler
If you are new please read the CoC!

Please FOLLOW YOUR OWN THREADS!

Quote people when replying to them.

PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR DARK THEME USERS.

Mark your problem as solved if answered and like all helpful information.

DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES(!) just type -pic- or tag them as spoiler.

Don't criticize people for asking "stupid question".

There is actually a hidden search feature on the forums here: Search 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

Hi Everyone, 

Recently I was lucky enough to get one of my companies old servers that they were discarding. 

The exact model is a Dell PowerEdge XS23-SB.

The important specs are as follows (the server has 4 nodes with the following specs in each node);

- 2 x Intel Xenon L5420 quad core cpu's

- 32Gb DDR2 ECC Ram

The exact model can be found here;

http://unixsurplus.com/product/dell-poweredge-xs23-sb-8x-l5420-25ghz-quad-core-128gb-4x1tb-4-nodes-server-w-rack-kit

For a few months now this has been sitting under my bed for a multitude of reasons ( 1. It sounds like a JET engine when it is on, and in a one bedroom apartment I really have no where to put it).

So I come to you, what should I do with it? My options are;

2. Sell it? As I live in Australia there is not to many of these types of things available. I am confident I would be able to sell if for around $2300 AUD.

3. Refurbish it and get some where to host it (its a little beat up and missing all but 4 of the drive caddies)? Again, Australia. Hosting will cost allot and my home upload speed is almost non existent, so trying to upload anything to if from my home would be extremely slow.

And if I were to keep it, what are some of the things I can use it for?

Is there anything the LTT community could use this for? Let me know what you think. 

Thanks for the help.

-Cameron

make a NAS with a million movies on it!