Apple Patenteds Flexible Device Display input method.

Just Apple taking things to next level..

cropped-apple-logo12.jpg

Get ready to see some next level stuff..& boy does it look ridiculously awesome ..

published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Apple's U.S Patent 855727 for a "Mobile electronic device with an adaptively responsive flexible display" describes a unique interactive device panel capable of triggering various system tasks, specifically mass media content served up in the form of MMS messages.

" interactive flexible device display has built-in sensors to detect bends or panel movement, which triggers a server request for multimedia content "

10682-3035-141007-Flexible-1-l.png

Apple's interactive flexible device display patent was first filed for in September 2013 and credits Harry Vartanian as its inventor. The patent dates back to 2011 and was most recently assigned to a small research and engineering firm called HJ Laboratories, which was cofounded by Vartanian and Jaron Rhodes in 2008. It is unclear whether Apple purchased the patent, is licensing its claims or attained the property through an unannounced acquisition.

" In another embodiment, the device can sport a secondary LCD or OLED screen to be used when the larger flexible display is stowed.. "

The patent details a process by which new flexible displays can receive input triggers via bending, allowing it to send an MMS message specifically upon receiving a bending cue

The system details other kinds of triggers as well including resizing and reconfiguring the display of the device to fit the new proportions of the system after its bending. The patent also talks about pairing multiple flexible displays, storing them in containers including tubes, and using them in combination with GPS triggers to activate location-based advertisements

iPhone-with-wrap-around-display.jpg

The device can take on one or more flexible displays operable attached to hardware components like network adapters, sensors and more. Further, the displays can "roll up" into a specialized rectangular or cylindrical housing for easy carry. Lending to the device's advertising capabilities is an embodiment that allows attachment to a lamppost or other highly visible public structure

The device is capable of requesting and displaying multimedia content from a static server. In some cases, a trigger event requests data from said server be pushed to the device over the air via MMS messaging.

10682-3036-141007-Flexible-2-l.png

GPS Push Trigger:

The patent also describes GPS-based push triggers for localized advertisement, detection of wireless charging hubs for efficient power handling and detailed MMS messaging parameters.

10682-3037-141007-Flexible-3-l.png

Apple’s acquisition of this patent might mean it’s looking at ways to shore up its own flexible display research and development efforts, or that it’s just hedging its bets against future developments. Either way, we’ll probably see something a little more sophisticated should Apple enter the flexible display device market.

The patent originally belonged to a company called HJ Laboratories, however, and Apple seems to have acquired its IP before the company dissolved, as both inventors listed have now moved on to separate positions over the past few years. looks like Apple never did..

Post your thoughts & rants down belooww..

Below given links are secure links: (just sayin!)

For patent (gov direct site)

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=5&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=(455%2F575.1.CCLS.+AND+20141007.PD.)&OS=ccl/455/575.1+and+isd/10/7/2014&RS=(CCL/455/575.1+AND+ISD/20141007)

News providers

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/10/07/apples-patented-flexible-device-display-triggers-data-events-through-bending(also via techcrunch)

Details separate people.

Pretty sure Apple will do nothing with this. Other than sue other people who do stuff with this.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

(waiting for Apple to patent bendable devices)

Sorry, had to. :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Pretty sure This is just so bending iPhones can be a feature.

Yep pretty sure....

:P

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

(waiting for Apple to patent bendable devices)

Sorry, had to. :P

Damn you, beat me to it...

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yeah the irony is big with this one

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo

Pretty sure Apple will do nothing with this. Other than sue other people who do stuff with this.

yeah they never make anything do they......

flexable displays have been on the cards for some time......looks cool

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

"Let's work on something that could potentially speed up industry development and lock it behind patents for the next 10 years till someone comes up with a great idea to steal".

"Let's work on something that could potentially speed up industry development and lock it behind patents for the next 10 years till someone comes up with a great idea to steal".

Isn't it 70 years? Or am I just mixing patent laws with copyright laws?

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Isn't it 70 years? Or am I just mixing patent laws with copyright laws?

Neither. Patents are 20 years by default, anything copyrighted before 1923 is public domain. That's not a rolling date, it stays there.

So now the phone can bend all it wants but the screen will be okay! :D

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

pics....

You act as if that'll stop Apple or sway the judges Apple bribes.

They are not patenting a curved screen though. 

Of course not. They can't. They're patenting how it's used, and we all know how vague Apple patents are. I bet that they have no plans for curved screens and they just want to ruin some of Samsung's R&D.

People do not understand patents

They are quite specific, if you make another flexible display in a different way, this patent will not effect you

Apple often patent future tech and wait until they can perfect it before release, hey they invented it, they have the right to patent it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

They are quite specific, if you make another flexible display in a different way, this patent will not effect you

Apple often patent future tech and wait until they can perfect it before release, hey they invented it, they have the right to patent it

They patented "swipe to unlock" and then claimed that a tap is a swipe. This company is crazy. I have 0 doubt that this patent is designed to cover general things and that they'll claim that you have to make a phone shaped like a bowl or something if you don't want to get sued.

They could call it the iWobble seeing as it doesn't look like it'd ever be stationary.

They patented "swipe to unlock" and then claimed that a tap is a swipe. This company is crazy. I have 0 doubt that this patent is designed to cover general things and that they'll claim that you have to make a phone shaped like a bowl or something if you don't want to get sued.

I highly doubt it, they have been pretty big into patent sueing but they are not THAT fucked up, chances are in the future they will release a device using some of this technology

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Of course not. They can't. They're patenting how it's used, and we all know how vague Apple patents are. I bet that they have no plans for curved screens and they just want to ruin some of Samsung's R&D.

Patent law only allows the patent of working device/process, apple cannot patent something they cannot prove works.  I believe the patent law also provides that in order to be patented a person of reasonable skill should be able to recreate the patented device from the information provided to the patent office.  Given this, in order for apple to successfully patent this, it has to show that it doesn;t already exist and that someone with the appropriate tools should be able to manufacture the patented item from that information. 

they must, however, produce a concrete, useful and tangible result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patentable_subject_matter

It's all rather complex but that's how I understand it.

EDIT heres a better one:

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2012/06/02/patentability-overview-when-can-an-invention-be-patented/id=23863/

So what is required for an invention to be patented?  The subject matter of the invention must be patent eligible, the invention must be useful, it must be new, it cannot be obvious and it must be described with the particularity required so that people of skill in the relevant field can understand what the invention is, make it and use it without engaging in undue experimentation.