Law Enforcement Freaks Out Over Apple & Google's Decision To Encrypt Phone Info By Default

Victorious Secret

FBI-logo-black-and-white.jpg

In a nutshell, the law is crying because companies figured out how to work around the law and ensure better privacy for their consumers AND ensure that law enforcement agencies only come asking when its well and truly required. 

Can Apple or Google get into a "encrypted" phone. You bet your ass they can if they really wanted to. They've just now added language that absolves them from any responsibility to do so, in a move that protects your rights as a consumer. 

Maybe the law should law better instead of attempting to abuse their power in gaining information they really have no business gaining. 

One Justice Department official said that if the new systems work as advertised, they will make it harder, if not impossible, to solve some cases. Another said the companies have promised customers "the equivalent of a house that can't be searched, or a car trunk that could never be opened.'' 

Andrew Weissmann, a former Federal Bureau of Investigation general counsel, called Apple's announcement outrageous, because even a judge's decision that there is probable cause to suspect a crime has been committed won't get Apple to help retrieve potential evidence. Apple is "announcing to criminals, 'use this,' " he said. "You could have people who are defrauded, threatened, or even at the extreme, terrorists using it.'' 

The level of privacy described by Apple and Google is "wonderful until it's your kid who is kidnapped and being abused, and because of the technology, we can't get to them,'' said Ronald Hosko, who left the FBI earlier this year as the head of its criminal-investigations division. "Who's going to get lost because of this, and we're not going to crack the case?"

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140923/07120428605/law-enforcement-freaks-out-over-apple-googles-decision-to-encrypt-phone-info-default.shtml

they should really stop crying about the whole 'but we cant solve crimes then'

maybe just ask to have his data? is it really that hard?

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Just knew they'd pull out the terrorist card.

Guess you'll have to do what they've done for the past couple hundred years and do some good old detective work. There are always other fingerprints.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just knew they'd pull out the terrorist card.

Guess you'll have to do what they've done for the past couple hundred years and do some good old detective work. There are always other fingerprints.

Lets wait for them to update the Patriot Act to somehow overrule the decision by tech companies to encrypt data. 

We all know it'll happen. 

Because terrorists. 

Awww american law enforcers crying about not being able to police the world properly and invade peoples privacy ? Awwww poor booboo.

Battle.Net - Dicehunter#2746

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

Isn't that why we have warrants

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

who didn't see this coming?

but on the other hand, what do you have to hide?

Edit:

Isn't that why we have warrants

^this.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Lets wait for them to update the Patriot Act to somehow overrule the decision by tech companies to encrypt data. 

Because terrorists. 

The official version is "Because terrorists" However we're not that far away from them giving you the actual real reason of "Because fuck you, that's why"

-------

Current Rig

-------

who didn't see this coming?

but on the other hand, what do you have to hide?

Yes, what do you have to hide from the state and glorious godleader Obama, comrade?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Because of the technology you can't get to them? Relax bro, you got to them before the technology was there, you'll get to them now. It'll be harder, but it's your job so stop crying.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Because terrorists. 

Yup. Always amazes me how many Americans are willing to give up rights because of a threat.

Then again...what do you expect? The US controls their citizens largely through fear.

I think more countries should be like France. Just riot till something changes, and you get what you want.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

"The level of privacy described by Apple and Google is "wonderful until it's your kid who is kidnapped and being abused, and because of the technology, we can't get to them"

Ah, the classic "Somebody think of the children!!!" line. Hitler loved the "think of the children" line.

I suppose since they can't get into a cell phone now and that means they can't find a kidnapped kid, so what did they do before cell phones? Every person kidnapped before cell phones was gone forever because a cell phone is the only way to track a kidnapped child? This makes no sense. Besides, a phone being encrypted does not prevent it from being physically tracked.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Yup. Always amazes me how many Americans are willing to give up rights because of a threat.

Then again...what do you expect? The US controls their citizens largely through fear.

I think more countries should be like France. Just riot till something changes, and you get what you want.

Americans sacrifice liberty for security, and they deserve neither. And they somehow think they are safer now than they were a decade ago. 

"The level of privacy described by Apple and Google is "wonderful until it's your kid who is kidnapped and being abused, and because of the technology, we can't get to them"

Ah, the classic "Somebody think of the children!!!" line. Hitler loved the "think of the children" line.

I suppose since they can't get into a cell phone now and that means they can't find a kidnapped kid, so what did they do before cell phones? Every person kidnapped before cell phones was gone forever because a cell phone is the only way to track a kidnapped child? This makes no sense. Besides, a phone being encrypted does not prevent it from being physically tracked.

Yup, these agencies somehow forgot that if it comes down to kidnapping that Apple and co. WILL cooperate and they WILL crack open their own encryption. They just have no reason to submit to bullshit requests anymore nor do they have to make it easy for you to request information. 

Americans sacrifice liberty for security, and they deserve neither. And they somehow think they are safer now than they were a decade ago. 

Yup, these agencies somehow forgot that if it comes down to kidnapping that Apple and co. WILL cooperate and they WILL crack open their own encryption. They just have no reason to submit to bullshit requests anymore nor do they have to make it easy for you to request information. 

Because they have more guns than a decade ago ;)

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Are you sure about that? I mean if you give a mouse a cookie. Apple does this in the case of a kidnapping then they show that they can do it and might be expected to do it, but if they stay stead fast with "we cant access your data" then they cant be expected to do something that they've never shown the ability to do.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

If there are exigent circumstances they don't need to crack any encryption to ping a phone for its location....it is based off of cell tower data transmissions. It is a cooperative effort between law enforcement and service providers that does have to be backed up with a warrant within a reasonable time frame. This should not affect kidnappings as insinuated for recovering a person.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Apple claims to not be able to decrypt the devices though, so even if they had a warrant and a legit case Apple wouldn't be able to do anything. The same goes for Google.

It's not like they need to anyway. I am pretty sure terrorist groups and other dangerous criminals know to how press "encrypt device" so to me this doesn't really have any drawbacks. The average Joe gets protection they didn't know about before, and criminals most likely used encryption to begin with so it doesn't change anything for them.

I really hate the "think of the children" argument. I want Hosho to look up "argumentum ad passiones", and maybe he will realize what a dumbass he is for crying "think of the children".

Besides, this is their own fault. If they had only focused on monitoring criminals to begin with this wouldn't have happened. They overstepped their boundaries and people are fed up with them.

Get ready for the ultimate blow,next time a terrorist attack occurs,they will plant a phone on the terrorist when they catch him that is encrypted and then all the dementia begins.

Because of the technology you can't get to them? Relax bro, you got to them before the technology was there, you'll get to them now. It'll be harder, but it's your job so stop crying.

So true!

-Cheers!!!

-P.S. My initials are really P.B.J. Does that explain enough? :D

I was thinking the same thing! On the tracking that is. Other than that good point.

-Cheers!!!

-P.S. My initials are really P.B.J. Does that explain enough? :D

Americans sacrifice liberty for security, and they deserve neither.

i hate this quote because its such bullshit.....for a start off franklin said

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

your information on your phone is not an essential liberty and your not giving it up for temporary safety....not to mention that this was written nearly 260 years ago in a time with out electricity let alone the level of communication we have today. seriously why do you think there hasn't been a major terrorist attack since 911? what the all sat back and said "hey that's it were done now"  bullshit.  as we become more entwined with our tech so the level of intrusiveness needed to carry out modern detective work will increase. this isn't the government wanting to see what you had fro dinner last night this is your information being a by product of catching the people that try to do you harm

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

So get a fucking warrant that states Joe blow has to unlock his phone to be searched. They can't search my house without one, my phone shouldn't be different.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

-snip

Right, until someone overhears you say something disparaging about dear leader and then you get sent to a work camp for "thought crime"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs