Is my i7 broken ? (only 0.80 GHz)

Hey guys,

I have since a few weeks an I7 4770k and I tryed it to OC but i got all the time bluescreens so i let it on stock, but now i want to paly some more heavy games and i only get like 30-40 fps in TR (gtx780) and if I look ith the Asus Suits Software it shows that my CPU Frequenzy is at allmost 4ghz ! but in the task manager its only max. 800MHz ! I checht the bios ther is no setting made that it should be so low and all the cores are maxed out very fast. 

well i really dont want to rma my cpu so is there an other option ?

post-7556-0-88276500-1408567626_thumb.pn

post-7556-0-85890200-1408567641.png

• CPU: Intel i7 4790K watercooled & custom IHS, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact, RAM: Kingston HyperX LP 1833, 2x8GB, GPU: Asus RTX 2070 watercooled

CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv ITXStorage: 1x WD Black 4TB HDD, 2x WD Blue 1TB SSD in Raid 0, PSU: Seasonic 650w Gold, Cooling: all watercoold with 2x 240 slim Rads, 5 Lian-Li Unifans

Use prime95 do a torture test and see the results

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

try CPUz but its probabaly just taskmanager screwinhg up

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

but why have I so problems runing Tomb Raider ? okay I have set everything to Ultra but its only 1080p and I have an 780, that should be no problem...

is there a special Test that i haave to run or setting ? never used Prim befor

sorry for my english ^^''

post-7556-0-22434100-1408568285.jpg

• CPU: Intel i7 4790K watercooled & custom IHS, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact, RAM: Kingston HyperX LP 1833, 2x8GB, GPU: Asus RTX 2070 watercooled

CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv ITXStorage: 1x WD Black 4TB HDD, 2x WD Blue 1TB SSD in Raid 0, PSU: Seasonic 650w Gold, Cooling: all watercoold with 2x 240 slim Rads, 5 Lian-Li Unifans

Its not recommended to run Prime95 on the Haswell Chips. There is some setting you can disable to use it but I forgot what it was  :P

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

Its not recommended to run Prime95 on the Haswell Chips. There is some setting you can disable to use it but I forgot what it was  :P

adaptive voltage in the BIOS.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

and what eals should i take  ?

adaptive voltage in the BIOS.

where can I find this setting ?

i dont think that the cpu is dead, cause wenn its dead, then its dead. lol :D

well its funny if I let the asus suit software make an OC of just 4,2 or 4,0 GHZ i get Bluescreen

i only get like 30-40 fps in TR (gtx780)

Can you give us more info? What resolution are you playing at? What graphics detail levels?

If you're playing Ultra detail at higher than 1080p, then 30-40 fps sounds entirely reasonable.

Trust me, if your CPU was running at 800 MHz, you wouldn't even get 15 FPS.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It's not exactly in C7 state, because it says max. cpu frequency = 0.8ghz.

Not quite sure what went wrong, I suggest doing a CMOS clear. Since you've been screwing around with the overclock settings.

@dalekphalm , In Tomb Raider with a 4770K? Oh, it'll do 30-40fps on a 800mhz 4770K. Tomb Raider is really GPU heavy. You can max a 780ti in that game with a g3220.

your cpu is fine. TB just doesnt run at 60 it would seem

also, the task manager shot might be in a low frequency C state or something

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

well its funny if I let the asus suit software make an OC of just 4,2 or 4,0 GHZ i get Bluescreen

Look anywhere that says power settings/CPU settings

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

When the CPU isn't under load it downclocks itself. Prime95 it and see if it ups to 3.5GHz. Also, it might be overheating and lowering the clock so it doesn't burn itself.

When the CPU isn't under load it downclocks itself. Prime95 it and see if it ups to 3.5GHz. Also, it might be overheating and lowering the clock so it doesn't burn itself.

Like I said, in taskmanager it would still say max frequency 3.9ghz for his 4770K. Not 0.8 ghz.

It's not exactly in C7 state, because it says max. cpu frequency = 0.8ghz.

Not quite sure what went wrong, I suggest doing a CMOS clear. Since you've been screwing around with the overclock settings.

@dalekphalm , In Tomb Raider with a 4770K? Oh, it'll do 30-40fps on a 800mhz 4770K. Tomb Raider is really GPU heavy. You can max a 780ti in that game with a g3220.

Interesting. I'm not entirely sure I believe that. I know that TR 2013 is a very graphics heavy game, but 800 MHz? If you have a 4770K I'd quite like to see this tested (I don't have one otherwise I'd just try myself).

The G3220 might be a lot less powerful, but I would bet that it would still give more juice than a 4770K at 800 MHz. I'm going to need to see some solid benchmarks/proof before I believe that.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well that can be caused by several issues.

Even the mobo.

But yeah overclocking due Asus suite, is someting that i won´t recommend in the first place.

well now comes the "Überraschung" ( Traumschiff , man I love this movie)

I made a very short test in Prime 95 for about 5 min

in Task Manager all Cores where max. but still just saying max. fr. 800Mhz.  ! then i shortly started TR again, and I'm at a point where nothing special happens, no fire, no big shadows no wahter, just a normal cave and my fps is at 20fps! and I have very big lags and blur someting I didn't had some days befor as I last played.

I'm very afraid of c. Cmos because last time I did this it was unable to get my Raid 0 back working  (os and everything on it :D)

Oh and my CPU got really hot ! 84°C !! (okay its in a 250D with an L12 cooler but with 1x140,2x120,2x80 fans so good airflow is given

post-7556-0-52836100-1408569768.jpg

Edited by Frownwarrior

well now comes the "Überraschung" ( Traumschiff , man I love this movie)

I made a very short test in Prime 95 for about 5 min

in Task Manager all Cores where max. but still just saying max. fr. 800Mhz.  ! then i shortly started TR again, and I'm at a point where nothing special happens, no fire, no big shadows no wahter, just a normal cave and my fps is at 20 ! and I have very big lags and blur someting I didn't had some days befor as I last played.

I'm very afraid of c. Cmos because last time I did this it was unable to get my Raid 0 back working  (os and everything on it :D)

Did you turn on power saver mode by any chance in Windows?

Interesting. I'm not entirely sure I believe that. I know that TR 2013 is a very graphics heavy game, but 800 MHz? If you have a 4770K I'd quite like to see this tested (I don't have one otherwise I'd just try myself).

The G3220 might be a lot less powerful, but I would bet that it would still give more juice than a 4770K at 800 MHz. I'm going to need to see some solid benchmarks/proof before I believe that.

Just tested with my 4670K on 800mhz. 48.2fps average in the benchmark. Haswell yay.

Just tested with my 4670K on 800mhz. 48.2fps average in the benchmark. Haswell yay.

Can you post screens or a video of the benchmark? Also what are your full system specs?

Did you turn on power saver mode by any chance in Windows?

nope I checked that too, its on High, and there are no Power saving setting that could do this 

Well that can be caused by several issues.

Even the mobo.

But yeah overclocking due Asus suite, is someting that i won´t recommend in the first place.

Yes I know, I tryed it first by myself in the Bios by just setting the multip. on 40 I just wanted a small OC to start but allready there it crashed and give me Bluescreen. the moba can't be (I hope) becasue I swaped it allready once because  the old one fall off the PCI-E slot after I installed it the first time xD ( no not the first PC I build :P)

Can you post screens or a video of the benchmark? Also what are your full system specs?

Afterburner didn't want to take a screenshot so i had to ghetto it, also the 800mhz is not alligned. HWinfo fucked up. Rest of the system is in my profile.

http://i.imgur.com/aUtIwpU.jpg

I never bullshit about performance. I hate people doing that actually : )

So, ontopic;

I think the CPU is frozen in 800mhz. CMOS reset the thing.

PS: now i'm going to put my cpu back on 3.4. This thing is damn unresponsive at this low frequency xD

Didn't want to take a screenshot so i had to ghetto it, also the 800mhz is not alligned. HWinfo fucked up.

http://i.imgur.com/aUtIwpU.jpg

I never bullshit about performance. I hate people doing that actually : )

So, ontopic;

I think the CPU is frozen in 800mhz. CMOS reset the thing.

PS: now i'm going to put my cpu back on 3.4. This thing is damn unresponsive at this low frequency xD

Why amI the only one that can't find the "Benchmark"- Option in TR ???

well I^m afraid of my RAID that it will be gone ... :S

I made a short video but win8 has no movie maker anymore T___T ( I know it was crap but it was free, and I didn't had to download it... I have very very slow Internet -.- 250kb/s max at good days)