Is my i7 broken ? (only 0.80 GHz)

Well, then you have to retrack everything you changed or touched and put it back on auto or default.

<___< well then I will to this, but not today, its allready late. but ty for all your help guys thats what I really like about this forum, the people!

• CPU: Intel i7 4790K watercooled & custom IHS, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact, RAM: Kingston HyperX LP 1833, 2x8GB, GPU: Asus RTX 2070 watercooled

CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv ITXStorage: 1x WD Black 4TB HDD, 2x WD Blue 1TB SSD in Raid 0, PSU: Seasonic 650w Gold, Cooling: all watercoold with 2x 240 slim Rads, 5 Lian-Li Unifans

Change the CPU OC in the BIOS not via the software, windows is reading and using what it knows from before the change once at OS

Hey guys,

I have since a few weeks an I7 4770k and I tryed it to OC but i got all the time bluescreens so i let it on stock, but now i want to paly some more heavy games and i only get like 30-40 fps in TR (gtx780) and if I look ith the Asus Suits Software it shows that my CPU Frequenzy is at allmost 4ghz ! but in the task manager its only max. 800MHz ! I checht the bios ther is no setting made that it should be so low and all the cores are maxed out very fast. 

well i really dont want to rma my cpu so is there an other option ?

attachicon.gifas3_cpu.png

attachicon.gifw8_cpu_taskm.png

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

Afterburner didn't want to take a screenshot so i had to ghetto it, also the 800mhz is not alligned. HWinfo fucked up. Rest of the system is in my profile.

http://i.imgur.com/aUtIwpU.jpg

I never bullshit about performance. I hate people doing that actually : )

So, ontopic;

I think the CPU is frozen in 800mhz. CMOS reset the thing.

PS: now i'm going to put my cpu back on 3.4. This thing is damn unresponsive at this low frequency xD

Thanks for the screenshot! Please understand I wasn't doubting your credibility, but it does drive me nuts when people make outlandish claims with no proof.

Frankly, my mind has been blown. Well done sir :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Thanks for the screenshot! Please understand I wasn't doubting your credibility, but it does drive me nuts when people make outlandish claims with no proof.

Frankly, my mind has been blown. Well done sir :P

Hardware.info, a dutch reviewsite, uses Tomb Raider as a CPU test (...yeah). I've done some tests on it and found out that 2x2.0ghz gave me almost no framerate decrease over 4x3.6ghz. 'tis why I knew 4x800mhz would work just fine.

I keep objecting on that website that they change it for something allot more CPU intensive. But alas, it's just me there.

nothing wrong here the cpu is going to clock down at idle and thats what task manager is reporting 

800 MHz is the standard down clock at idle or light load, it will increase speed as load increases. There is no real benefit to running the CPU at top speed and power all the time, it would be like putting a car in park, then mashing the gas pedal, more fuel is consumed , more wear and tear on engine parts and lots of waste heat, but in the end you aren't sitting still any faster than at normal engine idle.

Download and run CPUZ, then open and run different programs while CPUZ is visible and you will se the clock speed go up and down as needed.

I have, and I think the language barrier is causing some to see zebras where plain old horses lay.

Not really, look at his screenshot of taskmanager. It says that the maximum frequency is 800mhz (in german), which is supposed to feature the base CPU clock, 3.5ghz in this case. Meaning the CPU is somehow permanently locked in C7 state.

I have, and I think the language barrier is causing some to see zebras where plain old horses lay.

sorry my english is terrible I know... I will try better ;-)

nothing wrong here the cpu is going to clock down at idle and thats what task manager is reporting 

again. I run prime  95 for about 5 min and still in task manager was only 0.80Ghz while in CPUZ all the time 3.8-4.0GHz were shown so the Q is, is the task manager so bad or is CpuZ wrong becasue i still get just 20-30Fps

• CPU: Intel i7 4790K watercooled & custom IHS, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact, RAM: Kingston HyperX LP 1833, 2x8GB, GPU: Asus RTX 2070 watercooled

CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv ITXStorage: 1x WD Black 4TB HDD, 2x WD Blue 1TB SSD in Raid 0, PSU: Seasonic 650w Gold, Cooling: all watercoold with 2x 240 slim Rads, 5 Lian-Li Unifans

Not really, look at his screenshot of taskmanager. It says that the maximum frequency is 800mhz (in german), which is supposed to feature the base CPU clock, 3.5ghz in this case. Meaning the CPU is somehow permanently locked in C7 state.

I know I can google it, but can you shortly explay me the meaning of "C7 state " ?

It's the Lowest powerstate of the CPU. Basicly only used when it's doing absolutely nothing.

ahh thx. okay I see my CPU must be a god becasue I can run prime95 and it gives a sh#t about it :P no just kidding. Is there a setting where I can change that, like min.CPU frequency or something like that ?

Do you have a spare drive you could do a fresh OS install on , then load the bare essentials and see if things function normally if they do, its most likely software based and best recommendation IMO is a fresh install, do NOT install Asus AI suite and be selective about what you install. AI suite caused me a bunch of grief on my Maximus VII hero and a fresh install fixed my problems.

Do you have a spare drive you could do a fresh OS install on , then load the bare essentials and see if things function normally if they do, its most likely software based and best recommendation IMO is a fresh install, do NOT install Asus AI suite and be selective about what you install. AI suite caused me a bunch of grief on my Maximus VII hero and a fresh install fixed my problems.

its just 4 weeks that I allready reinstalled my OS, I'm not doing this agian in the next year. it was  such a pain xD

check your MSConfig under advance boot options

see if the CPU is limited by any settings

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Have the windows power management setting been altered? I would go in the advanced options and make sure all is default.

That's why I said use a spare hard drive, don't erase your primary (yet) do a clean install on a spare drive and see if everything works as it should to help narrow the problem down to a software problem.

okay. Two things.

1 - If CPU-Z is listing an adjusting clockspeed for your i7, then CPU-Z is probably correct. If you wish to check, you can download HWiNFO64 and use its sensors feature. It will tell you the per-core speed, load and temperature for your CPU. (You'll have to look; there's a lot of sensors).

2 - You're running Tomb Raider at 4k resolution. Your "anti-aliasing" is set to "SSAA 4x" which is 4 x 1920 x 1080 (commonly known as 4k res, aka 3840 x 2160). If you change the AA function to something akin to MSAA or SMAA (if it has SMAA) you should see a massive performance increase. I would not expect a 780 to get 60fps in Tomb Raider at 4k res with all the graphics + TressFX turned up.

If HWiNFO64 and CPU-Z both believe your CPU is running at a higher speed than Windows is saying, and you can get high frames in CPU-heavy games like BF:BC2, BF3, BF4 etc? Then your CPU is properly clocked up and windows is somehow broken.

If you can't pass say 20fps in BF4 on low or something, your CPU is actually broken and you have a serious problem.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

okay. Two things.

1 - If CPU-Z is listing an adjusting clockspeed for your i7, then CPU-Z is probably correct. If you wish to check, you can download HWiNFO64 and use its sensors feature. It will tell you the per-core speed, load and temperature for your CPU. (You'll have to look; there's a lot of sensors).

2 - You're running Tomb Raider at 4k resolution. Your "anti-aliasing" is set to "SSAA 4x" which is 4 x 1920 x 1080 (commonly known as 4k res, aka 3840 x 2160). If you change the AA function to something akin to MSAA or SMAA (if it has SMAA) you should see a massive performance increase. I would not expect a 780 to get 60fps in Tomb Raider at 4k res with all the graphics + TressFX turned up.

If HWiNFO64 and CPU-Z both believe your CPU is running at a higher speed than Windows is saying, and you can get high frames in CPU-heavy games like BF:BC2, BF3, BF4 etc? Then your CPU is properly clocked up and windows is somehow broken.

If you can't pass say 20fps in BF4 on low or something, your CPU is actually broken and you have a serious problem.

O___O ohh I have ssaa4 on, your right I'll change that. well I had BF4 but now I have to reinstall it and origen makes problem as allways :D (its 30Gb to download so I need about 5-7 days to download it :-( )

Read the full topic and I would still like some more screenshots and infos. For starters max stock clock for 4770K is 3.9GHz which it can run with 1.1V (max stock voltage can raise pretty high like seen in OPs CPU-Z pic). 0.8GHz is idle clocks. I don't have win8 so I can't compare things like that. I don't even remember which setting I changed to get my clocks stay at 4GHz all times.

Get some better software to monitor clock speed and volts. AI Suite is decent for both, CPU-Z is good but lacks load and tems in same window. Something like HWmonitor would be better.

As for your overclocking. There isn't really any infos given that I could comment on.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

O___O ohh I have ssaa4 on, your right I'll change that. well I had BF4 but now I have to reinstall it and origen makes problem as allways :D (its 30Gb to download so I need about 5-7 days to download it :-( )

Just run a simple cinebench. Not sure why you'd need a 30GB game for that.

Run cinebench 11.5, post the results. That should indicate quite swiftly if it's running 3.5 of 0.8ghz.

Yeah OP you could probably do this here, if BF4 would take a long time to download. A CPU benchmark should instantly show what speed it's actually at.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Use prime95 do a torture test and see the results

Prime95 on Haswell can be really bad, so don't do it. End of story.

OCCT is better for Haswell, but Task Manager read my Sempron as a 7.8GHz Athlon II X2 when it was only at 3.2GHz (still an Athlon II X2, since both of the cores were running).

I wouldn't worry about it that much. What resolution/details are you playing at?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)