Vehicle to Vehicle Communications Soon to be Possible

ionbasa

gm-v2v-communication-demonstration-in-ca

Transportation officials today released a report that highlights the safety benefits of vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communications tech, and asked the public to submit their thoughts on how the Department of Transportation should regulate it.

The report, from the DOT's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), found that V2V tech like left-turn assist and intersection movement assist could stop up to 592,000 crashes per year, saving more than 1,000 lives.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2463238,00.asp

For years, transportation wonks have been waiting for automated technologies that will make cars safer and easier to use, cutting down on traffic jams and lowering the risk of deadly crashes. Now we're one step closer to that future: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has unveiled a plan to require vehicle-to-vehicle communications technologies in all new passenger cars. Adopting these technologies, the agency says, could prevent nearly 600,000 car crashes every year once the rollout is complete.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/08/19/this-smart-technology-could-prevent-half-a-million-car-crashes-a-year/

Official resource links: http://www.its.dot.gov/research/v2v.htm

Official regulations and/or legislation won't be released until around 2016. Honestly I can see this as a great benefit to our society. Everyone benefits from this, from teens learning to drive, to older peoples whom may not have fast response times. I am all down for preventing accidents, improving the flow of traffic, and technologizing our everyday society. 

But I am most excited about the infrastructure. With self driving cars just on the horizon within the next decade or two, a reliable and safe standard of communication has to be in place. It is going to be interesting to see how automobile makers will use the system. At first I would imagine it being used for 'heads up display' scenario; such as when passing a on a single lane highway, your car can alert the driver of how much time is needed to pass and how far away oncoming traffic is in relation to the car. Another scenario would be to improve the flow of traffic by letting drivers know of traffic jams and suggest alternate routes.

I can't wait to see this implemented along with autonomous cars.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

So we keep getting one step closer to irobot? That's cool.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

I don't want my car associating with terrible things like these, I WILL NOT ALLOW IT!!!

donk2.jpg

ricer.jpg

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

So we keep getting one step closer to irobot? That's cool.

Yes, but on a technical scale, I would be surprised if that level of automation is achievable within the next century.

I don't want my car associating with terrible things like these, I WILL NOT ALLOW IT!!!

-snip-

-snip-

I think you are missing the point of this. Think of it as nothing more than a driving aid. I for one would feel more safe if this helped people become better drivers. If you read my OP maybe you'd get what I mean. In my opinion:this tech will only make teens and elderly drivers safer. More experienced drivers also enjoy the benefits.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I think you are missing the point of this. Think of it as nothing more than a driving aid. I for one would feel more safe if this helped people become better drivers. If you read my OP maybe you'd get what I mean. In my opinion:this tech will only make teens and elderly drivers safer. More experienced drivers also enjoy the benefits.

facepalming.gif

gta-the-joke.gif

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

-snip-

-snip-

Oops. Sometimes sarcasm is relayed better verbally and in person, rather than strangers on the Internet and with text...

Opps. Sometimes sarcasm is relayed better verbally and in person, rather than strangers on the Internet and with text...

Sarcasm tags do help, like

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

- snip -

nvm

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Sarcasm tags do help, like

too easy

and asked the public to submit their thoughts on how the Department of Transportation should regulate it.

I nearly fucking died...       Like the public would have any idea how to implement and regulate such a project,  call for submissions from the auto industry and road safety experts. fuck the public. 

Public submission number one:  "Smaller cards should automatically give way to cars with more expensive paint jobs, like , you know, flames n shit down the side or like any wif  a tops skull n' naked chic on the bonnet. their cars should get right of way coz their like tops cool n' stuff n' clearly they've spent more on it, like, they love their car more."

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I nearly fucking died...       Like the public would have any idea how to implement and regulate such a project,  call for submissions from the auto industry and road safety experts. fuck the public. 

Public submission number one:  "Smaller cards should automatically give way to cars with more expensive paint jobs, like , you know, flames n shit down the side or like any wif  a tops skull n' naked chic on the bonnet. their cars should get right of way coz their like tops cool n' stuff n' clearly they've spent more on it, like, they love their car more."

That sentence is a little misleading in my opinion.  They aren't necessarily reaching out to the public for suggestions on implementation and regulation, but rather to get a general 'feel of what people think' about the system.

Afterall, you can't just say that as of tomorrow this system is going to exist and there is nothing you can do about it. They are trying to spin (media reference) the new idea in a positive light, so consumers find the idea good, even though in reality their opinion isn't worth $.02. Everything in government is based off of manipulation of how you present ideas. In this case, the DoT wants people to feel good, knowing that their concerns or statements are addressed. Meaning less people whining over the new standard(s).

That sentence is a little misleading in my opinion.  They aren't necessarily reaching out to the public for suggestions on implementation and regulation, but rather to get a general 'feel of what people think' about the system.

Afterall, you can't just say that as of tomorrow this system is going to exist and there is nothing you can do about it. They are trying to spin (media reference) the new idea in a positive light, so consumers find the idea good, even though in reality their opinion isn't worth $.02. Everything in government is based off of manipulation of how you present ideas. In this case, the DoT wants people to feel good, knowing that their concerns or statements are addressed. Meaning less people whining over the new standard(s).

Shit, in Australia they would, they pass laws all the time that puts requirements on new cars. They may not do it that quick, but they would still do it.  They also wouldn't bother the public, submissions would be to a senate inquiry by invitation.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

think about intersections with this with self driving cars.... every car at all 4 corners could go through an intersection with perfect timing so none of them hit. and the cars could be going really fast.... we would get everywhere faster

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

They already use this technology for commercial aircraft so it is not something new

donk2.jpg

ricer.jpg

Beautiful specimens. /sarcasm

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I hope my car won't get emotional and have a crush on another car. :P

and it will start following that car xD

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

So what happens when a crash is inevitable, does the car have to decide which persons life is more valuable? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

So what happens when a crash is inevitable, does the car have to decide which persons life is more valuable? 

I would imagine that both cars de-accelerate drastically to prevent the crash, and then authorities and rescue workers could automatically be informed?

The whole point of this tech is to prevent accidents, but in the event one does occur, an automated system should have a faster reaction time comparative to the driver.

An example of how this could work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3fxQxPVd4s

And that was in 2010.

I would imagine that both cars de-accelerate drastically to prevent the crash, and then authorities and rescue workers could automatically be informed?

The whole point of this tech is to prevent accidents, but in the event one does occur, an automated system should have a faster reaction time comparative to the driver.

An example of how this could work:

And that was in 2010.

I was talking specifically about someone walking in front of a vehicle suddenly(not giving enough time to brake) and the only way to save that person is to swerve into another lane, that other lane has on coming traffic and would cause a collision. So then would it hit the person who was stupid for crossing suddenly or risk more fatalities by going into the other lane. Yes I know it would be much better than a human, but there are still issues like this. Another thought came to mind, would the person who walked into the road suddenly be responsible for the death of the people in the car(If the car went into the other lane for a head on collision). I know I'm making up silly scenarios but anything is possible. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

and it will start following that car xD

Or rear end it, if you know what i mean. ;)

who cares...

I was talking specifically about someone walking in front of a vehicle suddenly(not giving enough time to brake) and the only way to save that person is to swerve into another lane, that other lane has on coming traffic and would cause a collision. So then would it hit the person who was stupid for crossing suddenly or risk more fatalities by going into the other lane. Yes I know it would be much better than a human, but there are still issues like this. Another thought came to mind, would the person who walked into the road suddenly be responsible for the death of the people in the car(If the car went into the other lane for a head on collision). I know I'm making up silly scenarios but anything is possible. 

like: 

Yes, over 25mph and it won't be pretty. As always whenever driving in a vehicle, the driver should be vigilant to his or her surroundings.

If the cars in the next lanes have audible or visual cues, the drivers in that lane could be alerted and react fast enough to allow you some room. at least 2 seconds of reaction time is better than none.

A better question to ask is: What would you do? The police or transportation board would probably decide who was at fault, just like what happens now. Also the system could provide investigators with more usable data about the accident rather than relying on witnesses. Which could bail you out as being responsible. An infrared camera feed or sensor information could show that someone purposefully jumped out in front of a car to possibly commit suicide, it could also be used to classify collisions as true 'accidents' (ie: neither party is at fault). Though if you purposely ran someone over, the system could also be used against you (just saying).

The point I am trying to make is: If a collision does happen, more data is available to investigators. Also I am trying to point out that as a driver, these tools will be used as aids for the for the time being. Meaning that as a driver, you are still in control of how you operate the vehicle. 

I know it's unlikely, but if the roads has pressure sensors, perhaps they could differentiate between a human (or animal) and a vehicle, perhaps send some of that to the car in that lane(s) - probably some audio q in vehicle.

-snip-

You seem to know a lot about the subject, do you know whether you can drive the driverless cars yourself? Anyway driverless cars could be really interesting in the future, as they become more mainstream.