Twitch starting to scan VoD's audio for copyrighted content.

AlexGoesHigh

changes to twitch seems to be coming in hard, first the removal of permanent storage for VoD's, with the exception of "highlights", now it comes one of the most feared ones, automatic scanning for copyright material, now before everyone loses their mind, first its only for VoD's live broadcasts can't be scanned by the system they are implementing, second it only scans for audio and if it finds something it will mute a 30 minute section of the VoD, third broadcasters can appeal on "false" claims, all of this is by using AudibleMagic system,

Starting today, Twitch will be implementing technology intended to help broadcasters avoid the storage of videos containing unauthorized third-party audio.  We respect the rights of copyright owners, and are voluntarily undertaking this effort to help protect both our broadcasters and copyright owners.

What Is Audio Recognition?

We’ve partnered with Audible Magic, which works closely with the recorded music industry, to scan past and future VODs for music owned or controlled by clients of Audible Magic. This includes in-game and ambient music. When music in the Audible Magic database is detected (“Flagged Content”), the affected portion of the VOD will be muted and volume controls for that VOD will be turned off. Additionally, past broadcasts and highlights with Flagged Content are exportable but will remain muted.                                                                  

The Audible Magic technology will scan for third party music in 30 minute blocks — if Audible Magic does not detect its clients’ music, that portion of the VOD will not be muted. If third party audio is detected anywhere in the 30-minute scanned block, the entire 30 minutes will be muted.

How It Works: Scanning VODs Only

Audio Recognition will only be run against audio in VODs. We are not scanning live broadcasts and there is no automated takedown of live content.

Flagged Content will display an on-screen notification informing viewers that content owned or controlled by a third party has been identified. The progress bar will also be red for the duration of the muted section.

Content-ID-New

Content-ID-New.jpg

Please note that Audio Recognition is not guaranteed to be 100% accurate.  It may return false positives or miss content from copyright owners who do not work with Audible Magic.  If you wish to include music in your VODs, please remember that you are responsible for clearing all such rights (this includes ambient music that may be playing in the background while you are broadcasting).  If you would like to include free-to-use music in your VODs, there are a variety of resources available to you, including:

Creative Commons
Jamendo
SongFreedom

Broadcaster & Copyright Owner Appeals

If you believe that your video has been flagged improperly and that you have cleared the rights to all of the sound recordings in your uploaded video, then we will consider unmuting your video if you send us a counter-notification that is compliant with the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”).

Any copyright owner that believes that any of their content is used in any live broadcasts or VOD without authorization should submit a notification of claimed infringement to Twitch pursuant to our Terms of Service.If you are the legal owner of copyrighted music that you would like to protect via Audible Magic’s technology, visit AudibleMagic.com.

Twitch has partnered with Audible Magic without waiving any rights or defenses available to it under law. Twitch is not obligated to filter content stored on  the Twitch platform by its users and assumes no liability for the actions of its users notwithstanding the implementation of the Audible Magic technology. Twitch reserves the right to stop filtering audio content in VODs in its sole discretion at any time and without liability to any third party, subject only to any contractual obligations.

We want to hear your feedback and questions. Tune in to the following events to ask us (almost!) anything:

Reddit AMA on /r/Twitch: Thursday, August 7, 10:30am PST
Twitch Weekly: Friday, August 8 at 2pm PST

And, as always, please feel free to leave your comments below. We will answer as best we can.

now my opinions about is that its obvious twitch wants to start tracking down people that broadcast background music, like a lot of people do, and i assuming a certain someone (*cough google) is influencing this, now if this doesn't end the same way that youtube does now, it might go well, if it doesn't well, i think something has to change

Sauce: twitch blog

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO .................................................. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I blame google

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Might cause a problem with the pro streamers who use paid services to stream popular music (this giving them permission via Twitch TOS) 

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

This seems fair. they're using copywritten music without permission, they have been warned about this for a while.

If anything this gives indie music producers in to gaming a huuuuge chance.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

It's copyrighted content. They shouldn't be using it in the first place.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Might cause a problem with the pro streamers who use paid services to stream popular music (this giving them permission via Twitch TOS) 

if they have permission the can still use them, ofc the problem is if the flag it and doesn't ends in a loop for months like youtube 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

ugh, no more streaming my WoW raids since i can't raid without music.

Well this sucks. I agree that it's copyrighted content and everything, but I'm watching past broadcasts and some parts of the videos are getting muted because of in-game music as well.

So, what? Are streamers just suppose to sing their own music now? And what about all of the CS:GO/Dota/League people do while queuing for a match that takes forever to join?

We need dedicated non-copyrighted music for things like this.

twitch may find their traffic suddenly diverting to somewhere else.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Twitch is dead. I and many others called it when even the rumors of Google buyout came.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

this what happens when a company that is under a microscope buys you

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Well, shit. This sucks, but since I mostly watch live anyway, its not that big of a deal. Just adds one more thing to consider before streaming something.

So using the tool I use for YouTube videos, youtube-dl, I have found out I can download Twitch VOD's. So, when I download the VOD's, the part that is muted on Twitch is NOT muted on the downloaded videos.

So, it looks like there is a workaround. The only downside is that you need to download the VOD's first, then watch locally(which works for me, but not everyone has terabytes of storage).

To broadcasters, keep locally recorded copies for archiving(if you can afford the space) and for viewers that miss the live stream, you'll have to sacrifice gigs of space depending on the stream if you want to watch it all in unmuted glory.

What do you all expect? The corrupting finger of Google is only ever doing one of two things; 1. Stimulating the rectums of corporate interests, or 2. spinning smokescreens to fool the average consumer into thinking they aren't the most rotten company on earth.

Both things they are extremely good at.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Bye twitch

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

God, people like Summit are going to get wrecked on this playing music over the background!

Intel Core i7 4770K | Gigabyte R9 290 OC 4GB Windforce Edition | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Mobo

Noctua NF-S12A FLX 120 + 140mm Fans | Corsair H100i CPU Cooler | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | BitFenix Ghost Case

Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM-850 PSU | G. Skill Sniper 16GB (4x4GB) | AOC G2460PQU 144Hz Monitor

Is it legal to use http://www.dmx.com/pandora/ for twitch streaming/VOD, and how do they know if you have the legal right to use that music.

Most likely you get flagged even if you have the right to use the music and must then appeal and show proof that you have the rights to have the muting removed.

Most likely you get flagged even if you have the right to use the music and must then appeal and show proof that you have the rights to have the muting removed.

to me that is stupid, you pay for the right to use it then still get "in trouble" to use it. good news for me the music I buy/listen too allows me to use it in streams and gameplay videos with out the worry of take-downs 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Wow this really blows. No more background music for my viewers I guess

I don't mind not having to listen to a streamer's death metal over the game's sounds, assuming this will affect livestreams and not just saved videos. I imagine Google will try both in the future...

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Boogie take on this 

This is going to wreck streamers who stream over a long period of time. I get that it's copy written and all, but its like hanging out with friends and listening to the radio, you don't watch just to "steal" music, you come for the streamers personality. How else are you supposed to fill in the silence without the same game music playing over and over again.

I knew this was coming and am not upset one bit. You guys need to realize that in reality, you don't own the rights to the music.

People will begin to get licenses like we have with Monster Cat. That is the only legal route I see.

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net