Considering some hi-fi speakers

Timmyfox

Thanks for reminding me why I hate asking forums like these for buying advice...

Yep.

It's just a shame you can't get to a place to hear them for yourself :( .

Indeed, one the first things I was to see if there was any nearby retailers that had them on offer. Unfortunately I couldn't find any, so that's why I was hoping to find someone who'd have some experience with these that might be able to give me some input. I've found quite a bit of relevant info reading a dozen reviews and various forum threads regarding these and other models, but it's been quite hard to find direct comparisons that have yielded enough info to know if the performance of the more expensive ones are enough to justify the higher price, mostly -what- is deemed better.

Yep.

I believe the Code of Conduct page also listed "Don't be a dick" as a brief summary...

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

That's why I was hoping to find someone who'd have some experience with these that might be able to give me some input. I've found quite a bit of relevant info reading a dozen reviews and various forum threads regarding these and other models, but it's been quite hard to find direct comparisons that have yielded enough info to know if the performance of the more expensive ones are enough to justify the higher price, mostly -what- is deemed better.

I believe the Code of Conduct page also listed "Don't be a dick" as a brief summary...

I know,  it's times like this I wish I wasn't so open minded about audio,  if I was ignorant I'd just point to the more expensive ones and say how they are much better because $$. 

Try not to get too pissed with the others, they are just messing around,  On these forums when we have to "enlighten/educate" people it can dive into a shitfight pretty quick. sometimes a few nonsensical sideways jabs is much easier and much more jovial than outright telling someone they are wrong.   That and they both offer good honest advice every time they can, the rest of the time they are usually just protecting new users from bad advice.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

My guess is gearslutz would tell you one of two things.

A. Get a pair of LSR 305s or equator D5s.

C. Don't bother because you don't have any treatment (lol)

PSU AX850 Processor 3930k @ 4.2  Motherboard Asus x79 Sabertooth Ram Gskill Ripjaw Z 32gb 2133Mhz GPU EVGA GTX 780 reference HDD 128gb Samsung 840 Pro Monitor Asus pb278q Case 800d Cooler H100i Audio Interface Mbox mini Monitors JBL LSR305's

Studio monitors are totally not for casual music listening and not hifi-speakers whatsoever. knowing stuff about studio grade schiit is not essentially knowing stuff about good hifi audio.

Hi-fi by definition means high fidelity, meaning reproducing audio as closely to its original form as possible. That's the entire point of studio speakers. If people who create music mix their music primarily on their monitors, the way the music sounds coming out of monitors is the way the artist intended for the music to sound like. I've used both studio monitors and "hi-fi" speakers, I think switching between the two doesn't make that big of a difference if both are good. Similarly, when we recommend headphones, do we trash the M40x because they are labeled as "Studio Headphones"? No, people buy it like it's candy.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Hi-fi by definition means high fidelity, meaning reproducing audio as closely to its original form as possible. That's the entire point of studio speakers. If people who create music mix their music primarily on their monitors, the way the music sounds coming out of monitors is the way the artist intended for the music to sound like. I've used both studio monitors and "hi-fi" speakers, I think switching between the two doesn't make that big of a difference if both are good. Similarly, when we recommend headphones, do we trash the M40x because they are labeled as "Studio Headphones"? No, people buy it like it's candy.

Just don't bother, he has wasted enough of all our time, and nothing we are going to say will get through. The only thing that will make him happy is recommending PC350's for every single headphone post. 

Just don't bother, he has wasted enough of all our time, and nothing we are going to say will get through. The only thing that will make him happy is recommending PC350's for every single headphone post. 

I bother lots because I'm a nice guy. But I heard they finish last.  :(

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I bother lots because I'm a nice guy. But I heard they finish last.  :(

Last, alone, and with funny liquids leaking out their ass. 

Damnit.  :wacko:

But watch me get yelled at for holding a conversation on forum, so self assured assholes also finish last. (Ironically, people have forgot what a forum is about, but if I want a legit forum I need to go live with the Romans...) 

Last, alone, and with funny liquids leaking out their ass. 

Makes for an interesting mental picture.

Makes for an interesting mental picture.

My mental picture involved batman. 

Not sure how the used market is where you are, but you really can find some gems hidden in between all the shit people sell. I.e. locally I can find a very nice pair of Rega RS5 for less than half the price when they were new. Mirage, Focal, Heybrook, and many more. Maybe take a look at some used speakers in good condition, that way you will get a LOT more value for your money.

Best thing would be if you could borrow then and listen to them in the room you intend to put them in. As many other posts have pointed out, the room plays a big factor in how the speakers are going to sound. If you have a lot of hard reflecting surfaces it will sound like poop. If you position the speakers wrong it will sound like poop. So there is loads to take in consideration.

people have forgot what a forum is about

Well, thus far, your posts here have been completely useless and childish. I don't know what you think a forum is about, but this very thread was intended so that I could get some some feedback and advice on a potential purchase and, as far as I can tell, 95% of this thread seems to be just useless discussion about terminology and completely unrelated troll posts... I've already asked you to just shut up unless you have something useful to contribute and so far I've seen nothing but spam.

Not sure how the used market is where you are, but you really can find some gems hidden in between all the shit people sell. I.e. locally I can find a very nice pair of Rega RS5 for less than half the price when they were new. Mirage, Focal, Heybrook, and many more. Maybe take a look at some used speakers in good condition, that way you will get a LOT more value for your money.

Best thing would be if you could borrow then and listen to them in the room you intend to put them in. As many other posts have pointed out, the room plays a big factor in how the speakers are going to sound. If you have a lot of hard reflecting surfaces it will sound like poop. If you position the speakers wrong it will sound like poop. So there is loads to take in consideration.

Finally something useful... I checked a few buy and sell websites we have here but didn't find very much. I'll look up those ones you listed though.

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

Did you actually go to Gearslutz and ask there or are you going to keep posting here and complain? Emorarity is Emorarity, you can't change him, but you can change the place you ask your questions. My original suggestion wasn't made because I just felt like posting stuff, it was honest advice. Those guys work with monitors day in, day out. Everybody here wants headphones and headsets.

as far as I can tell, 95% of this thread seems to be just useless discussion about terminology

Uhhh.. ok. If you think not recommending studio monitors because of some reason, no matter what, is "useless", then I can't help you at all. That directly impacts what you can or cannot pick. And you even liked the guy's post, when clearly he was incorrect. And if it were useless, why like his post? His should be just as useless as mine.

Did you actually go to Gearslutz and ask there?

Not yet, with the way this thread had derailed and my current situation I kinda decided to put everything on hold and see how much money I'll be able to spend after summer.

Well, I guess this has all been a waste of time.. I'm sorry I tried to just ask for some simple input on this seemingly simple question, but with the direction this thread has gone I'll just give up hoping to dig out any bit of useful information here.

So I guess that's the last time I come here to ask for any kind of advice..

If there's any mods who'd happen to read this, please just lock/delete it as I just find it to be nothing but upsetting.

Right, so I'm considering an upgrade to my front speakers and I've got about $700-ish saved up right now.

My current setup is from a mid-priced Yamaha 5.1 kit (don't remember exact models) which have served me pretty well and still isn't really having any issues. Why I want to upgrade is just because I'm slightly urging to step up a bit in audio quality. I've got a Yamaha RX-V773 AVR which I believe should be enough to power most speakers. Since I hardly use anything but the 2 front speakers and the sub as the primary usage is music listening in a fairly small room (I need smaller bookshelf speakers as the only place I have to put them right now is my desk).

Either way, I've done quite a lot of research and am primarily considering these options:

• KEF Q100
  • KEF Q300
  • KEF R100

I was originally considering between the Q100 and Q300 as either of them should just manage to fit my budget. However, I then also found the R-series which supposedly is said to be a major improvement over the Q-series (also I much prefer the aesthetics of it), so I might be able to save up a bit longer to stretch my budget.

I'm probably leaning more toward the Q100 over the Q300 as it is a bit smaller (which is good due to the desk environment) although I'm still unsure whether the R100 is worth the nearly $500 higher cost compared to the Q100

EDIT: I know that the best would be to demo them in store, but the problem is that nearest retailer to where I live that sells any KEF-products seems to be over 100km (~70 miles) from where I live, so it ain't really an option.

If you have a small room check out 200 dollar  M AUDIO BX5 D2,it produces a stunning  accurate sound,which is amazing for both movies and music.It lacks a bit of bass punch,so subwoofer or bx8 version is good.Because it is internally amplified you don't need a 500 dollar DAC.Only consider this studio monitor for desktop use.

If you have a small room check out 200 dollar  M AUDIO BX5 D2,it produces a stunning  accurate sound,which is amazing for both movies and music.It lacks a bit of bass punch,so subwoofer or bx8 version is good.Because it is internally amplified you don't need a 500 dollar DAC.Only consider this studio monitor for desktop use.

How well do they compare to the likes of some fairly significantly more expensive models? Seeing as they are less than 1/3 the price of the models I've been looking at so far. Not to stare blindly at prices, but at such a massive price difference I'm just concerned not only about the sound quality but also the build quality and durability. This is kinda intended to be an investment that can last me many years ahead. Seeing as I only recently graduated from high school and everything, I'll probably be moving to my own appartment/house in a few years so I might very well use them for a larger home theater setup or something.

Simply put I want a pair of speakers that look good (and thus blend in well), sound amazing and also can last me at least 5-10 years from now.

Also I'm only really considering speakers, DAC's and whatnot is irrellevant as I already have a pretty good AVR made by Yamaha which should be capable of driving most things I can afford at this point, so good passive speakers is really what I'm looking for.

As requested...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99