Warning - Gigabyte 780ti OC and Ghz - the word needs to get out

Denco

Before you read anything please keep in mind that I'm just trying to prevent people from being screwed by Giagabyte like many of us got. Gigabyte has been seeling broken 780ti OC and Ghz cards so as I've said I'm just trying to spread the word to prevent other people from making a bad choice.

There is a 15 page long discussion on Nvidia forums on why not to buy 780ti cards from Gigabyte. Short story is many of us are experiencing the same issues and it has been going on for months now. Which means that Gigabyte is selling broken products of 780ti Ghz and OC edition.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/688127/geforce-700-600-series/update-gtx-780ti-artifacting-crashing-gygabyte-windforce-gv-n78toc-3gd-oc-bad-batch-/1/
http://www.overclock.net/t/1461220/gigabyte-780-ti-ghz-edition-crashes

The cards are unstable and are crashing in games and windows most of the time. There is also a lot of artifacting but that depends on the each gpu it self. For my case the artifacting only showed in 3DMark 11 and some games like the new Wolfenstein and of course there are also system freezing issues.

Stay away from it!

EDIT: Hot Hardware review conclusion for Gigabyte ( Thanks to FreaksMulder from Nvidia forums for finding this )

Starting with Gigabyte's card, we love the ambitious nature of the aggressive overclocks. It wasn't always stable, and had we purchased this card with the intent of keeping it, we might try our luck at exchanging it for the same model. If that didn't work, we could live with the occasional stability issues since they weren't frequent. We're not trying to apologize for Gigabyte here, nor are we defending the issues we ran into -- however, given how high this card is clocked, we're not totally surprised or miffed at the once-in-awhile-hiccup during stress testing. After all, it didn't happen frequently, just barely enough to warrant a mention. As for cooling and noise, we had to peek inside our testbed to make sure the cooler's fans were spinning because of how quiet it runs. We really like that about this card.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-780-Ti-Roundup-EVGA-Gigabyte-And-MSI-Duke-It-Out/?page=12

What worries me here is that the reviewer didn't even had the guts to say that the card was broken. I mean If I buy a product I want it to run stable without any stability issues and would not satisfy my self until I get that product.

Thanks for the heads up!

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Must be a newer batch that has problems then. Got mine in November I think and no issues whatsoever.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Never been a big fan of any of Gigabytes products anyway, bought 2 of their products (Mobo and graphics card) and both were dead in a few weeks.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Thanks for the heads up.

So does this mean that if you RMA they just send you another broken card? That is the key question here and if this is true and Gigabyte don't recall them I won't buy cards from them anymore.

I'm about to find out but on the Nvidia forums there are some people who recevied replaced but still broken cards.

...It's not broken, it's just an unstable factory overclock, witch can be easily fixed by ones self.

Must be a newer batch that has problems then. Got mine in November I think and no issues whatsoever.

Not every card is broken but there is A LOT of us who are experiencing issues with them. And I mean a lot. What's even worse it that the replaced cards are usualy broken as well.

...It's not broken, it's just an unstable factory overclock, witch can be easily fixed by ones self.

For my case lowering core clock did not help. The issue as we discovered is in ram clock on the gpu and sadly the only way to downclock that is to edit the gpu's bios. My card looses its waranty if I do that and besides why would I?

For my case lowering core clock did not help. The issue as we discovered is in ram clock on the gpu and sadly the only way to downclock that is to edit the gpu's bios. My card looses its waranty if I do that and besides why would I?

I meant as in adjusting the voltages 

I'm about to find out but on the Nvidia forums there are some people who recevied replaced but still broken cards.

Ok well when you find posts with good info just post links, I just signed up to geforce forums so I can join the discussion if I want to.

I meant as in adjusting the voltages 

I was not able, voltages are locked unless you flash the bios which again for my case I would loose warranty. Also many have tried that with no luck.

Looks like gigabyte bit off more than it could chew....... Get it? bit.......

From what I could see the cards are boosting above the promised speeds, and thus causing instability. Auto OC:ing is never good.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Probably a faulty batch. I have the OC model (which has the same PCB as GHz Edition) and so far no issues were encountered.

This is new, gigabyte doesnt screw up very often, id expect this from asus but not gigabyte 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

All three entry level SKUs on both 760, 770, 780 and 780 Ti has a common problem on a percentage of the cards. ASUS DCU II has artifacting due to cheap VRAM, MSi Gaming has fans that start leaking fluid, and Gigabyte Windforce has underbinned dies for their clockspeeds on GHZ edition.

If you wanted perfection, you shouldn't have chosen rock bottom.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Well that's a shocker... Nvidia have always been known for rock solid performance vs AMD (who have improved loads and are on par now imo)... but maybe not so much now :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Radeon HD 7950 FTW.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Interesting and somewhat sad to hear, over the last 20 years I've found Gigabyte to make a robust product, Some of their products haven't always been the fastest but generally very stable.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Even though it's possible to modify the clocks to stabilise the card, its not the customer's job to do that. Gigabyte should be the one doing this in the first place.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300