Note on Haswell PSU Compatibility

Glenwing

With all the stir about Haswell PSU compatibility I think it's important to note that if you have a power supply that doesn't support the low power states of Haswell you can simply disable the C6/C7 states in the BIOS and there will be no compatibility issue, the only difference is your idle power draw will be more along the lines of previous CPUs instead of ultra low power which Haswell is capable of.

Thus there is no reason to really make a fuss about this.  All power supplies will be usable with Haswell, just some may require a BIOS setting change.

Cool, I'll probably get a new PSU if I go with Haswell, may as well start from the ground up.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to buy you a waffle.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

If you have a graphics card in, won't the power draw be high enough for most PSUs to handle it, even with the C6/7 state enabled?

Now that is something nobody else thought of before...

CPU: I5 4670k @ 4ghz Motherboard: MSI z87 G45 Gaming RAM: 2x 4GB Avexir and Corsair 2x4gb ddr3 @ 1600mhz GPU: MSI GTX 1080 SeaHawk EK PSU: EVGA SuperNova P2 750w Boot SSD: Intel 320 120GB Storage: Crucial 256gb ssd and Samsung 250gb ssd

Thought I'd also mention this since it's relevant, but a unit isn't necessarily incompatible with the sleep states if it's not said to be supported by the manufacturer either.

Contrary to what a lot of sites said, the issue here isn't that the power supplies are unable to supply 0.05A on the 12v rail. Instead, since the other rails can still be powered for USB devices and such you can end up with a large load on the 3.3/5v rails, with only a small load on the 12v. With group regulated designs, this can -in a worst case senario- result in out of spec voltage regulation and even trigger OVP, shutting down the system.

This sounds like a problem, except that this only occurs if you have a massive load on the 3.3v and 5v rails (generally 100w+) is where this starts to go out of the specified 5% regulation. That rarely occurs with any system, unless you have tens of phones and such charging simultaneously. To put things into perspective, this is similar to having a PC on hibernate mode with USB devices plugged in and powered - it can be an issue with insane load levels, but it's generally not going to happen. It's something you should worry about IF you are constantly pulling more than 5-10A from the minor rails, but otherwise there's nothing to be concerned about.

Of course, if you have a generic no-name unit chances are it's not supported, but you shouldn't be using it for other reasons anyways. ;)

If you have a graphics card in, won't the power draw be high enough for most PSUs to handle it, even with the C6/7 state enabled?

It's a sleep state, so the graphics card isn't going to be powered anyways (memory modules might be, but that's based off the 3.3v rail). Same goes for everything else that runs off the 12v rail, including fans, HDD motors, etc.

Edit: Nevermind, for some reason I had thought it was a sleep state, not an idle one. In that case I'm not sure myself, though since the BCLK is left at 100mhz it may be possible. It seems like most sites think this power supply 'issue' is more important compared to what the C-states actually do though, so I can't much information about the specifics.

Ok, so the Norwegian HW review site HW.no has collected information on which PSUs will support Haswell.

The article can be found HERE.

Now, I know most of you don't know Norwegian, but you'll recognize the name and models. You'll see that under each manufacturer there's at least one bulleted list. If there's ONE bulleted list, those are supposed to be confirmed with Haswell. If there's TWO bulleted lists under a manufacturer, the first one is the PSUs that are confirmed as working and the second one is assumed to be working, but verification is still lacking.

An aditional note is that PSUs with conversion from 12VDC to lower DC voltages will most likely be fine. This is as far as i can gather a normal architecture for high efficiency PSUs. 

Hi all this is my first post on this forum and I thought I share my findings regarding this subject ;)

I am currently still running a Core2Quad system and have been waiting for haswell to start appearing in the shops here in the UK and I've been wondering whether my Antec TP-650 New PSU is compaible with haswell C6/7 states and came across this link published by Modcrash.com which I thought I like to share as for the current moment has not been mentioned on this forum, so hope this will help some Antec PSU owners rest with ease who were worried that they might not have haswell compatible PSU...

http://modcrash.com/antec-psu-intel-haswell-compatibility/#.Ua-U85z4Ijl

My 2pence worth done :thumb:

[Casecom CS-13 Matrix][Antec Truepower New 650W][Asrock Z87 Extreme3][Intel Core i5 4430][Corsair H60 (2013)][Geil Black Dragon 1600Mhz 2x8GB][VTX3D R9 280X][Crucial M500 240GB][Samsung 1TB HD103UJ][2x Samsung 1TB HD103SJ][2x Samsung 2TB HD204UI]

Hi all this is my first post on this forum and I thought I share my findings regarding this subject ;)

I am currently still running a Core2Quad system and have been waiting for haswell to start appearing in the shops here in the UK and I've been wondering whether my Antec TP-650 New PSU is compaible with haswell C6/7 states and came across this link published by Modcrash.com which I thought I like to share as for the current moment has not been mentioned on this forum, so hope this will help some Antec PSU owners rest with ease who were worried that they might not have haswell compatible PSU...

http://modcrash.com/antec-psu-intel-haswell-compatibility/#.Ua-U85z4Ijl

My 2pence worth done :thumb:

The Antec Truepower New 650w has a DC-DC secondary, so it will be compatible. You do not need to turn off this power state in the BIOS.

Edit: For some reason, I thought you was asking a question... lol

Thanks for the link.

For some others:

BeQuiet

Corsair

Enermax

Fractal Design

OCZ/PCP&C

Rosewill

Seasonic (the ones with the haswell ready badge)

What happens if you don't disable the C6/C7 sleep states or whatever they're called and you run it with a normal non-Haswell compatible PSU?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

What happens if you don't disable the C6/C7 sleep states or whatever they're called and you run it with a normal non-Haswell compatible PSU?

The voltages of the +12v raises and go out of specs, trip the Over Voltage Protection, and causing the system to shut off.

That's the theory anyway. Typically, you are going to have loads on the 12v rail from the HDDs, fans, GPUs, etc to make up the low power draw of the low power state, and even then, the load on the 3.3/5v rail likely isn't going to be high enough to cause the 12v to raise that high.

The voltages of the +12v raises and go out of specs, trip the Over Voltage Protection, and causing the system to shut off.

That's the theory anyway. Typically, you are going to have loads on the 12v rail from the HDDs, fans, GPUs, etc to make up the low power draw of the low power state, and even then, the load on the 3.3/5v rail likely isn't going to be high enough to cause the 12v to raise that high.

So it won't damage anything?

So it won't damage anything?

It might and I would not attempt to run it at those states if your psu doesn't support it.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

It might and I would not attempt to run it at those states if your psu doesn't support it.

I'll get a compatible PSU anyway, I was just curious :)

Edit: For some reason, I thought you was asking a question... lol

Thanks for the link.

LOL... no problems ;)

( on a side note would love to see the thumbsup smiley, where or how can I request this? )

[Casecom CS-13 Matrix][Antec Truepower New 650W][Asrock Z87 Extreme3][Intel Core i5 4430][Corsair H60 (2013)][Geil Black Dragon 1600Mhz 2x8GB][VTX3D R9 280X][Crucial M500 240GB][Samsung 1TB HD103UJ][2x Samsung 1TB HD103SJ][2x Samsung 2TB HD204UI]

roger that!  ;)

Proccy: i5 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v, GFX card: Asus DCUII gtx 760, Ram: corsair vengence 8GB, PSU: corsair vx550w, Case: Coolermaster cm 690 II advanced, HDD: Segate 1TB+ 500GB , Mouse: logitech g400s, Keyboard: Motospeed ck104

One quick question, what's the difference between this and the other sleep states on previous CPUs? My PC pulls 4 watts while it's sleeping? I have a q9550.

One quick question, what's the difference between this and the other sleep states on previous CPUs? My PC pulls 4 watts while it's sleeping? I have a q9550.

The C6/C7 states are actually idle, rather than sleep states. The main difference however is reduced power usage, only requiring 0.6w for the CPU.

Okay, so that means I should be fine since it doesn't break while it's sleeping? lol