MetallicAcid's Monolith FT03

MetallicAcid

I HELPED WITH THIS BUILD!

I SUGGESTED THAT MESH UP TOP! :lol: :lol: :D :lol:

i think..?

No I'm sorry to tell you, that's stock on the ft03...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I had to give this a comprehensive review, as it's just so good it would be a crime not to. So, here goes.

Frankly, I have to say this is one of the best builds I have ever seen. The panel that covers the front looks stunning, really setting it apart from other FT03 rigs. Then, the beautifully straight tubing runs that can be seen through that expansive, clean window are just delightful, being set off by the soft purple lighting that accentuates the whole build. The rear of the case however, where the drives are, just proves how much time and effort has gone into this build, with the detail put into an area that most would shrug and dismiss as a snakes nest truly shows the craftsmanship done here. The fact that you've gone so far as to detail the hard drives and then install a window there is just boastfully brilliant.

The only negative criticism, and it's one I've had to really think about, is the tubing from the top of the case to the radiator being curved and not straight, thus breaking with the straight lines throughout the rest of the case. However considering this is most likely going to be on a desk, where the top isn't visible the majority of the time, and with the top panel installed, only a tiny amount of the tubing is visible which kind of negates the issue.

I would have to give this the Stig award for perfect performance. Well done on such an outstanding build @MetallicAcid.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I'm speechless it's just so majestic

Awesome work!!

Wow, just wow 

so beautiful 

Thats it,

I quit the modding game, I can't get anywhere this level.

Well done bloke, well done.

I know how you feel Staring at my PowerMac G5 thinking how in the name of hell am I going to mod it.

Damn......

I also have a Mac Pro case for modding, but  no time 

:o  x4

First off, amazing ft03

Second, I can't wait to see your ft02,

I'm going to be buying a ft04 in a few weeks, as I'm not a fan of the ft02's looks

I HELPED WITH THIS BUILD!

I SUGGESTED THAT MESH UP TOP!  :lol:  

i think..?

No I'm sorry to tell you, that's stock on the ft03...

SHHHh< LET ME FEEL SPECIAL.

Amazing. Just amazing. 

@MetallicAcid

How did you attach the aluminium front to the plastic top?

I had to give this a comprehensive review, as it's just so good it would be a crime not to. So, here goes.

Frankly, I have to say this is one of the best builds I have ever seen. The panel that covers the front looks stunning, really setting it apart from other FT03 rigs. Then, the beautifully straight tubing runs that can be seen through that expansive, clean window are just delightful, being set off by the soft purple lighting that accentuates the whole build. The rear of the case however, where the drives are, just proves how much time and effort has gone into this build, with the detail put into an area that most would shrug and dismiss as a snakes nest truly shows the craftsmanship done here. The fact that you've gone so far as to detail the hard drives and then install a window there is just boastfully brilliant.

The only negative criticism, and it's one I've had to really think about, is the tubing from the top of the case to the radiator being curved and not straight, thus breaking with the straight lines throughout the rest of the case. However considering this is most likely going to be on a desk, where the top isn't visible the majority of the time, and with the top panel installed, only a tiny amount of the tubing is visible which kind of negates the issue.

I would have to give this the Stig award for perfect performance. Well done on such an outstanding build @MetallicAcid.

Wow!! Thank you!!! This is amazing everyone! :D THANK YOU for the awesome comments. Talk about getting a motivation kick!

@Rumikarimu sorry mate, this is the stock mesh, as spwath mentioned. But you will always be special to me ;)

@d33g33 do not quit modding, ever! I never thought that I would be able to create something good, but I just kept dreaming and researching - looking for ways to improve my own skills and form my own style. Just keep at it buddy, you can get to the modding place that you wish to be!

@HellaflushMcSwaggins I would love to mod a G5 one day ;)

@spwath I am really keen to see what you do with that FT04 mate ;)

@MaDoHo the top panel is held into place using velcro that has 3M tape on the back. One side stuck to the stock plastic grill, and the other stuck to the custom aluminum panel. I realized though that this velcro is strong as shit, and I can just remove the entire plastic cover + panel instead. It is so much easier than I expected! :D On the front where the LEDs are located, I have used a black rubber seal which is usually used to seal doors and windows as a buffer between the custom panel, and the stock FT03 front panel. It also doubles as a barrier so no light leaks from where the hexagons are. This was just a spur of the moment decision which ended being a real game changer with how the front panel - and entire build looked over all!

@Thorium19 Wow, thank you for such a comprehensive rundown/overview of the entire project! IF I could have it my way, I would have also made straight runs from the radiator to the holes in the custom top plate. But I was running out of time and couldn't afford to spend any more time on modding the case for something minor. In the end I ended up going for the bent tubing as the case itself does have some subtle curves - namely the front and back panels and RAM sticks.. So I thought that it didn't clash with the overall aesthetic that I was wishing to achieve. A necessary evil perhaps? Regardless, thank you for taking the time to write a great overview, and I really appreciate your feedback ^^

Once again, thank you guys (and girls?) for joining me on this journey! It has been nothing but a pleasure working on this project, and presenting for all of you. I just hope that you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Best regards,

Justin.

P.S What about that project name though? ;)

http://www.facebook.com/metallicacidcustomspcs

Wow!! Thank you!!! This is amazing everyone! :D THANK YOU for the awesome comments. Talk about getting a motivation kick!

@Rumikarimu sorry mate, this is the stock mesh, as spwath mentioned. But you will always be special to me ;)

@d33g33 do not quit modding, ever! I never thought that I would be able to create something good, but I just kept dreaming and researching - looking for ways to improve my own skills and form my own style. Just keep at it buddy, you can get to the modding place that you wish to be!

@MaDoHo the top panel is held into place using velcro that has 3M tape on the back. One side stuck to the stock plastic grill, and the other stuck to the custom aluminum panel. I realized though that this velcro is strong as shit, and I can just remove the entire plastic cover + panel instead. It is so much easier than I expected! :D On the front where the LEDs are located, I have used a black rubber seal which is usually used to seal doors and windows as a buffer between the custom panel, and the stock FT03 front panel. It also doubles as a barrier so no light leaks from where the hexagons are. This was just a spur of the moment decision which ended being a real game changer with how the front panel - and entire build looked over all!

@Thorium19 Wow, thank you for such a comprehensive rundown/overview of the entire project! IF I could have it my way, I would have also made straight runs from the radiator to the holes in the custom top plate. But I was running out of time and couldn't afford to spend any more time on modding the case for something minor. In the end I ended up going for the bent tubing as the case itself does have some subtle curves - namely the front and back panels and RAM sticks.. So I thought that it didn't clash with the overall aesthetic that I was wishing to achieve. A necessary evil perhaps? Regardless, thank you for taking the time to write a great overview, and I really appreciate your feedback ^^

Once again, thank you guys (and girls?) for joining me on this journey! It has been nothing but a pleasure working on this project, and presenting for all of you. I just hope that you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Best regards,

Justin.

Yeah I won't be doing much to the ft04, at least for now. Don't really have any modding tools. One i get some I can practice on my phantom 410, because I hate that thing. I'll see if I can make it decent, then move on to my ft04. Don't want to mess up a new 225$ case!

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

This is a BEAUTIFUL build sir.

2014 - EVGA 780 SC ACX | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | VGA248QE | Fractal Define r4

2015 - EVGA 980 | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X41 | Asus ProArt 1080p IPS | Fractal Define r4

2017 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 6600K | Strix z270e | Trident DDR4 3GHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X42 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair Crystal 460x

2021 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 5600X | Strix B550-F | Trident Neo DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | Dark Power Pro 12 1500W | EK AIO Basic 360 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

2023 - Asus TUF 4090 | 5800X3D | Strix B550-F | Viper DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | RM1000x | h150i 360 Elite LCD | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

@MaDoHo the top panel is held into place using velcro that has 3M tape on the back. One side stuck to the stock plastic grill, and the other stuck to the custom aluminum panel. I realized though that this velcro is strong as shit, and I can just remove the entire plastic cover + panel instead. It is so much easier than I expected! :D On the front where the LEDs are located, I have used a black rubber seal which is usually used to seal doors and windows as a buffer between the custom panel, and the stock FT03 front panel. It also doubles as a barrier so no light leaks from where the hexagons are. This was just a spur of the moment decision which ended being a real game changer with how the front panel - and entire build looked over all!

@Thorium19 Wow, thank you for such a comprehensive rundown/overview of the entire project! IF I could have it my way, I would have also made straight runs from the radiator to the holes in the custom top plate. But I was running out of time and couldn't afford to spend any more time on modding the case for something minor. In the end I ended up going for the bent tubing as the case itself does have some subtle curves - namely the front and back panels and RAM sticks.. So I thought that it didn't clash with the overall aesthetic that I was wishing to achieve. A necessary evil perhaps? Regardless, thank you for taking the time to write a great overview, and I really appreciate your feedback ^^

Best regards,

Justin.

Ah, clever :)

Maybe Melanocetus? As in the deep sea fish.

https://www.google.dk/search?q=Melanocetus&rlz=1C1MSIM_enDK577DK577&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=6Rz5U6vrM4fdaICfgdgE&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=955#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=0SdaKIMViheDDM%253A%3B-ewpmWFd5-NXyM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fdata3.whicdn.com%252Fimages%252F23056753%252Fthumb.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fweheartit.com%252Ftag%252Fmelanocetus%252520johnsonii%3B240%3B200

You should bring it to expos, that would draw a lot of attention, i think is the best ft03 i've seen.

Shows you've put a lot of time and effort into it.

i5 4440 || Prolimatech Lynx w/ Noiseblocker BlacksilentPRO PL-PS || GA-Z87MX-D3H || 16GB HyperX Red & Savage || Asus GTX 970 Turbo OC @ 1403/7600 || 840 & WD 1TB Blue || Samson SR850 & Samson SR950 & ATH-M50 Red & Cloud II + Fiio e7 + Xonar U7 || Razer Tournament Edition 2014 & Kana v2 || Seasonic G 450 >> Nanoxia DS4

Yeah I won't be doing much to the ft04, at least for now. Don't really have any modding tools. One i get some I can practice on my phantom 410, because I hate that thing. I'll see if I can make it decent, then move on to my ft04. Don't want to mess up a new 225$ case!

Ahh, I see :) I have just a basic set of hand tools here at home, and a jigsaw + drill. I have not really needed much else. I outsourced the panels to a CNC mill, but the design is definitely doable by hand.

This is a BEAUTIFUL build sir.

Thank you sir! 

Cheers. Like I said, I was pleasantly surprised :D That fish is ugly as F lol. I don't think that it matches the project :P

beautiful job. that's a awesome project.

Cheers rabbit :)

You should bring it to expos, that would draw a lot of attention, i think is the best ft03 i've seen.

Shows you've put a lot of time and effort into it.

I will try to attend Dreamhack and other local LAN events, but as I am a parent with a full time job, it is hard to get away to something like this... :(

Kind regards,

Justin.

I will try to attend Dreamhack and other local LAN events, but as I am a parent with a full time job, it is hard to get away to something like this... :(

Kind regards,

Justin.

I would love to see you at Dreamhack! Were you there this summer?

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

I would love to see you at Dreamhack! Were you there this summer?

Nah I missed it as I travelled away. I am really looking to go to Winter though :) The Monolith might make an appearance too :)

Kind regards,

Justin

Nah I missed it as I travelled away. I am really looking to go to Winter though :) The Monolith might make an appearance too :)

Kind regards,

Justin

Might see you there then!

EDIT:   WHEN DID YOU CHANGE YOUR PROFILE PIC?!?!?!

Edited by GeekySole9354

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Nice name for the build BTW

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

You got mentioned on the Asus ROG fb page :D https://www.facebook.com/ASUSROG/posts/10153093338667388

No surprise there,you got an awesome build!

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Might see you there then!

EDIT:   WHEN DID YOU CHANGE YOUR PROFILE PIC?!?!?!

Maybe ;) I have had this profile pic since I signed up :) 

Hey Justin is there a reason you sleeved the fans but not the PSU cables?

The fans came pre-sleeved. I would have removed the sleeving to have just black wires, but the Phobya fans don't have black wires. If I had thought of using cables without sleeving, I would have soldered black wires onto the fan's PCB to have coherency. Meh, small potatoes. :P

Nice name for the build BTW

Thank you Alby. I am the worst when it comes to naming things. i am happy that I got help from the community though!

You got mentioned on the Asus ROG fb page :D https://www.facebook.com/ASUSROG/posts/10153093338667388

No surprise there,you got an awesome build!

Awesome! Let's see if any other FB page shares my project too then :D

BTW guys, if anyone here is a member of Tech Spot, I have put up a gallery or the completed project. If you guys could vote a score, I would really appreciate it! Someone gave it a 5 from 10, and I think that they are jealous or something.. Regardless, it totally dragged down my score :( http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/3957.html

Best regards,

Justin.

shut up and Take my money  :)

awesome work

What program do you use to make thoose beautiful renders?

They were made in Keyshot 4 mate :)

Hey @MetallicAcid, how come you haven't checked out the message I sent you? I genuinely have questions about modding.  :(

Sorry man, i have not been on LTT for over a week. I started back at work now after holiday and have not had time to sit in front of the PC.. But you have a PM now :)

Kind regards,

Justin