Is it worth keeping both the Xbox One and PS4?

johnnyTheMac

Hello,

I know that this topic runs the risk of turning into a console war, so I apologize in advance if it goes that way. I have both the consoles right now and I have the opportunity to sell the Xbox One right now. I don't know why it is such a hard decision for me. I mean, I guess they are pretty much the same and the only thing advantage about having both is the exclusives for each console. What sucks is having to pay for both subscription services. 

One thing that keeps running through my mind is how certain games for the Xbox 360, Madden, in particular, seem to run and look better on the 360 than on the PS3. I can't help but wonder if this is going to be the same this generation. I played Madden for the PS4, but not one the One. I guess I could rent it or something to compare. Believe it or not, this is one reason that could have me decide to keep the One. 

What about the Kinect, or the lack there of? I mean, there are reports that the One will become more powerful than it is now when not using the Kinect. Is there any possibility of that happening?

I don't know...as you can see, I am very confused and can't make a damn decision on this because I feel that if I get rid of it, I will be missing out on something. I am definitely keeping my PS4, so the what it boils down to is to sell the Xbox One or not.

I hope that made some sort of sense and I really hope that this does not turn into a war.

Thanks for reading and thank you in advance for your responses.

Johnny

CPU: Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH4 | RAM: 8 GB Blue Ares | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition | Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White | Storage: 250 GB SSD Corsair Neutron - 128 GB SSD Kingston - 1 TB WD Black | PSU: Corsair 850 watt | Display: 3 x Dell S2340M 23-Inch IPS 

The only reason I'm keeping my PS4 is for the exclusives. If they're weren't any, it would've been out of my door when I switched to PC gaming. I would keep them for that reason alone.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

Seems to be PS4 > XBox One, only keep the XBox One if you are excited about the exclusvies etc. Halo, Forza. 

Hello,

snip

Johnny

The PS4 is more powerful than the One. the kinect only uses 5-10% , even if the one used that, it would still be less powerful than the PS4, literally every game so far has either run the same or better on the One

The only reason to keep the one is if you use it as a media centre, its good for that

I intend to get and keep both consoles like I did with the PS3 and 360 (that I still own) but I stil consider the PS4 to be superior

(although My PC is platform number 1)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

ps4 because of exclusives (japan exports etc)

get a wii u too

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

That is the thing...I am going to be PC gaming, too. I think really all I have the consoles for are sports games and exclusives. I never really got into Halo or Forza, but I was thinking about trying out Ryse and Dead Rising 3. I don't really know what other exclusives are going to be out for the One, though.

CPU: Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH4 | RAM: 8 GB Blue Ares | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition | Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White | Storage: 250 GB SSD Corsair Neutron - 128 GB SSD Kingston - 1 TB WD Black | PSU: Corsair 850 watt | Display: 3 x Dell S2340M 23-Inch IPS 

I say buy a potato like I have.  It is awesome.  No need for consoles when you have a potato.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

That is the thing...I am going to be PC gaming, too. I think really all I have the consoles for are sports games and exclusives. I never really got into Halo or Forza, but I was thinking about trying out Ryse and Dead Rising 3. I don't really know what other exclusives are going to be out for the One, though.

Forze, Halo, Dead Rising, Killer Instinct, and Ryse are the major exclusives that come to mind for me. If none of them appeal to you, you probably don't need the XB1.

I say buy a potato like I have.  It is awesome.  No need for consoles when you have a potato.

lol...I thought about that, but I would just wind up eating it.

Forze, Halo, Dead Rising, Killer Instinct, and Ryse are the major exclusives that come to mind for me. If none of them appeal to you, you probably don't need the XB1.

They do, just not Halo and Forza so much. I wonder, though, how many future exclusives will wind up on the PC, like Titanfall.

With the previous generation of consoles, multi-platform games were typically developed primarily for the Xbox 360 then ported to the PlayStation 3. As a result of this the PS3 version was usually less stable and riddled with more bugs - but it also resulted in performance problems, as strictly speaking the PlayStation 3's GPU was weaker than that of the Xbox 360.

With the current generation of consoles, the PlayStation 4 is easier to develop for and work with as well as being slightly more powerful than the Xbox One. As a result of this most multi platform titles should perform better on the PlayStation 4. Battlefield 4, Call of Duty Ghosts, Assassin's Creed 4 and Watch Dogs all run at a higher resolution on the PlayStation 4, some of which also run at slightly higher quality settings.

The tangible differences between the two platforms for multi platform games seems to be larger with this generation than the last - at least so far. With DirectX 12 on its way and developers finding ways to work around the Xbox One's troublesome memory bandwidth the gap between the two consoles could lessen over the next year.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Addressing your points in no particular order:

- In the long term, over a long generation - yes - it is worth having both. If you want the Halos as well as the Uncharteds, the Gears' as well as the Last Of Us' - you need both. You will also likely end up having good friends with one or the other, so if you want to game with everyone you will need both.

- Right now, there is little reason to buy both. Not enough games on either, especially PS4. But if you have both already, why not hold on to them for the future?

- If Kinect (which uses GPGPU for its processing and hence takes up GPU power) is not actively listening for voice commands and actively running skeletal tracking - more resource can be released. This does not equal consoles without Kinect being less powerful than ones with it. Games that want to make use of that GPU will just have a little box appear as you load it to say that Kinect will be off, and to return to the home screen using the Home button. Once back in the UI, Kinect will be active again.

- Xbox One has been pretty great so far IMO - Forza, Killer Instinct and Titanfall squarely beats PS4 software-wise, which only has Resogun in terms of "continually playable" games of a high quality, and SecondSon as a great one player experience that is over when its over. Sunset Overdrive looks like the mutts nuts and I think Fable Legends looks interesting too (not a Fable game and some need to get over that). With Halo 5 on the way, and a fresh re-start to Gears, it's definitely looking like a good machine to have,

- PS4 also has a bright future, especially if you love the "single player experience" games that are their first party staples. I wouldn't want to give one up if I already owned it.

So my recommendation in short - Wait a bit. 

Xbox One isn't going to get more expensive, and the games library is only going to get bigger. Have it on your "to buy" list (which is where the PS4 is for me) and bide your time.

If you don't need the cash, then keep both systems and wait for new games to get released. I personally would prefer to own a PS4 because I have a feeling that I would enjoy it's (future) library more.

The PS4 is more powerful than the One.

That should never be the deciding factor. NEVER.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

If you don't need the cash, then keep both systems and wait for new games to get released. I personally would prefer to own a PS4 because I have a feeling that I would enjoy it's (future) library more.

That should never be the deciding factor. NEVER.

Yes, it should be. If you are playing cross platform games, lets say Assassins Creed then the more powerful console will have the superior version. That is not the be and and end all, and in fact I had a much longer post than that. 

The only real reason to get the consoles  (IF you have a gaming PC already) is for the exclusives, which can be amazing, Halo, Last of us and Uncharted for example are some of my favourite game franchises to ever come out. They also make good media centres, especially the xbox one with the ability to use the HDMI IN port to connect external devices for picture in picture etc.

The performance is still something to consider in a long list of other things that has to be met too. And frankly I feel that the PS4 has the advantages as a gaming device. It is less rounded than the ONE but I feel offers a better gaming experiance. Though if your friends are on ONE or you want the xbox exclusives etc then it obviously makes sense to get that.

As i say, both are on my "to buy" list after I have got my new camera equipment next month I will be ordering these together at the same time, I still want to pick up a Wii U too :/

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yes, it should be. If you are playing cross platform games, lets say Assassins Creed then the more powerful console will have the superior version. That is not the be and and end all, and in fact I had a much longer post than that. 

The only real reason to get the consoles  (IF you have a gaming PC already) is for the exclusives, which can be amazing, Halo, Last of us and Uncharted for example are some of my favourite game franchises to ever come out. They also make good media centres, especially the xbox one with the ability to use the HDMI IN port to connect external devices for picture in picture etc.

The performance is still something to consider in a long list of other things that has to be met too. And frankly I feel that the PS4 has the advantages as a gaming device. It is less rounded than the ONE but I feel offers a better gaming experiance. Though if your friends are on ONE or you want the xbox exclusives etc then it obviously makes sense to get that.

As i say, both are on my "to buy" list after I have got my new camera equipment next month I will be ordering these together at the same time, I still want to pick up a Wii U too :/

Even if buying a 700€ graphics card and upgrading to a 1000 watt power supply made sense to me, I would still much rather just sit in front of a console and enjoy the game instead of worrying about numbers. Gameplay and ease of use are what really matters to me and millions of others on this lovely planet.

I play my 360 and most of my other consoles on a 720p TV that I bought in 2007 and I never thought to myself that I would enjoy my games more if they were in 1080p and had more of the ultra settings. I even play many of my games in 240p instead of upscaling them. And I do own a $200 upscaler that I never used, because I couldn't be arsed to make an euro scart to japanese 21 pin adapter.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

Even if buying a 700€ graphics card and upgrading to a 1000 watt power supply made sense to me, I would still much rather just sit in front of a console and enjoy the game instead of worrying about numbers. Gameplay and ease of use are what really matters to me and millions of others on this lovely planet.

I play my 360 and most of my other consoles on a 720p TV that I bought in 2007 and I never thought to myself that I would enjoy my games more if they were in 1080p and had more of the ultra settings. I even play many of my games in 240p instead of upscaling them. And I do own a $200 upscaler that I never used, because I couldn't be arsed to make an euro scart to japanese 21 pin adapter.

I play a good half of my PC games on my sofa infront of my 42" TV, especially 3rd person games or more casual games. I find someting like steam big picture way easier than using the xbox/playstation store. I just find the game I want, hit download/play and it launches.

The modern consoles still give a great experience. But I still like to have good graphics, nothing takes me out of a game more than muddy textures or terrible blocky aliasing. I want to be taken away into a new world, not be taken out because I cant work out if its a wall or some sort of blob monster. 

I just think that if I am going to spend my money on something I want to have the best time I can have. I want the game to have a great story or gameplay or mechanics but I do also want to have a graphical experiance.

The defining aspect of a video game is that A it is a visual experience and B it is a controllable one. Playing the game is the same across all platforms, but If I had a ONE, PS4 and PC and I was buying a new game, I would buy it for PC as I can have the best experience.

If consoles were still plug and play like a snes/ps1, put a disc in, hit play, then consoles would be the go to accessible experience. I bet my mum and dad couldnt operate a modern console menu, or find sometihng in the store, understand to have a gold account, realise how to deleate a game because their hard drive is full, or that they cant get online without a patch. They are NOT simple devices anymore, they are basically like using steam 

ANYWAY the OP didnt want this to turn in a console war. I respect consoles, I own every console that has come out and I will continue to. But I am willing to accept and see their shortcomings.

I play a good half of my PC games on my sofa infront of my 42" TV, especially 3rd person games or more casual games. I find someting like steam big picture way easier than using the xbox/playstation store. I just find the game I want, hit download/play and it launches.

Eh?

What do you think happens on PS and Xbox? It's exact same process, except the games always work.

In the month I have had a gaming PC two of the games I downloaded needed troubleshooting online to get to work properly.

I love my PC but saying that it is easier and more troublefree than consoles smacks of someone who has no experience with consoles.

Eh?

What do you think happens on PS and Xbox? It's exact same process, except the games always work.

In the month I have had a gaming PC two of the games I downloaded needed troubleshooting online to get to work properly.

I love my PC but saying that it is easier and more troublefree than consoles smacks of someone who has no experience with consoles.

What? Please don't tell me I have no experience with consoles, that is quite insulting. 

That's waht I was saying. The method of downloading games on console is not really as easy as it used to be with old consoles. Like i can go grab my PS1, put in a disc and in 30 seconds I am up and gaming. 

Grab my PS3, insert disc, sometimes I have to wait (AGES) while it slowly installs on my hard drive, or I have to navigate the super slow store to download my game (pretty slowly compared to how fast steam downloads) to my limited hard drive space.  It is quite a faf. I have a ton of games especially from being a PS PLUS member, and I just cannot fit all my games on the 500gb drive I installed inside, so will see if I can get 1tb inside.

Yeah PC gaming can sometimes have a few issues, though personally I have never really had any problems installing games off steam and origin (well except when BF4 first game out)

I did not say it is easier and more trouble free, I said that consoles are not much easier!.  My dad with little experience could easily work a PS1 or an N64, but I know he cannot use my PS3 OR PC

What? Please don't tell me I have no experience with consoles, that is quite insulting. 

That's waht I was saying. The method of downloading games on console is not really as easy as it used to be with old consoles. Like i can go grab my PS1, put in a disc and in 30 seconds I am up and gaming. 

Grab my PS3, insert disc, sometimes I have to wait (AGES) while it slowly installs on my hard drive, or I have to navigate the super slow store to download my game (pretty slowly compared to how fast steam downloads) to my limited hard drive space.  It is quite a faf. I have a ton of games especially from being a PS PLUS member, and I just cannot fit all my games on the 500gb drive I installed inside, so will see if I can get 1tb inside.

Yeah PC gaming can sometimes have a few issues, though personally I have never really had any problems installing games off steam and origin (well except when BF4 first game out)

I did not say it is easier and more trouble free, I said that consoles are not much easier!.  My dad with little experience could easily work a PS1 or an N64, but I know he cannot use my PS3 OR PC

Games are just too big to run off discs these days, and next gen cartridges would be infeasibly expensive. Games need to be fully or partially installed.

But my point was - what you are saying is so easy about Steam is exactly the same way it works on consoles. Only difference is you can buy it on a disc and install, or install online. But the PC experience - download game before playing - is exactly the model that consoles have shfted to that you seem to have taken afront to. 

Sony have had some issues with their downloading with PS3, I don't know if they have the same issues with PS4, but that's a Sony issue, not a console issue.

There is no difference in how long it takes me to download a game on Xbox One or my PC. Relative to the size of the download they are the same.

Games on my PC look better and are cheaper, so personally I prefer PC, but I still think consoles are great low-cost devices that for a non-techie person are the best option. Games on any of my consoles - just work - and that is why a lot of people prefer consoles.

Games are just too big to run off discs these days, and next gen cartridges would be infeasibly expensive. Games need to be fully or partially installed.

But my point was - what you are saying is so easy about Steam is exactly the same way it works on consoles. Only difference is you can buy it on a disc and install, or install online. But the PC experience - download game before playing - is exactly the model that consoles have shfted to that you seem to have taken afront to. 

Sony have had some issues with their downloading with PS3, I don't know if they have the same issues with PS4, but that's a Sony issue, not a console issue.

There is no difference in how long it takes me to download a game on Xbox One or my PC. Relative to the size of the download they are the same.

Games on my PC look better and are cheaper, so personally I prefer PC, but I still think consoles are great low-cost devices that for a non-techie person are the best option. Games on any of my consoles - just work - and that is why a lot of people prefer consoles.

I appreciate that discs have limitations. I have not taken an afront to downloading games etc, just people argue consoles are "easier" or "plug and play" and they are about as complex as steam. Thats all I was trying to say, I didn't say consoles suck because you have to download games, just that they are becoming less and less simple with so much software and apps things to install. 

Hmm i get about 15Mb/s through steam but i get considerably less on my PS3, they are connected to the same ethernet switch. I can download off steam in a matter of minutes but it takes a few hours for PS3 games, just sometihng that I noticed.

Yeah I agree with you. I think consoles are amazing pieces of tech. Its amazing that you can spend very small amount of money to buy a little box that can do so much and play the same games that much more expensive/complicated PCs can run. 

Please do  not take what I say as console bashing I am an avid console gamer too. I use PS Vita that gets used daily, I imported a PSP from japan months before it was out in the UK. I like what Sony and Microsoft do. I was just pointing out flaws in the modern consoles. These flaws must be addressed and understood for next gen to evolve. For updates and for the consoles after this gen, if there are any.

• 4 weeks later...

Sell it, there is no reason to keep two consoles unless you're some sort of tech/games reviewer and it's your job to own them. I'd sell it and get a wii u instead, it has much better exclusives and offers an experience you just can't get on pc (whereas the other two are pc ripoffs).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*