AMD 9970 leaked

http://be.hardware.info/nieuws/34917/specificaties-amd-radeon-hd9970-gelekt

http://www.hitechreview.com/it-products/pc/possible-radeon-hd-9970-specs-leaked-ready-for-late-2013/42754/

So yeah basically the 8000Series for desktops might be skipped entirely (so only for mobile) and the all-new 9000 series might be released in december 2013

The 9000 series will be manufactured at 20nm, so there will be less power consumption/heat output and more performance per watt, paired with a new architecture, which should mean MASSIVE performance gains.

This is probably AMD's counter to the Titan/rumoured 780.

I myself think that this is actually awesome.

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

Lol, they want to skip the 8000 series?

Intel i7-870  //  MSI GTX 670 PE       ///       Intel i7-4500U  //  GT720M

yh... they wouldnt skip the 8k series and go to the 9k series unless there where copyright issues with the name...

Character artist in the Games industry.

SERIOUSLY this is like the third time this happened to me, I searched 9000 series and got no match so i posted it...

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

SERIOUSLY this is like the third time this happened to me, I searched 9000 series and got no match so i posted it...

Well, it said nothing about 9000 series in that post. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

yh... they wouldnt skip the 8k series and go to the 9k series unless there where copyright issues with the name...

Wouldn't there be a copyright issue with the 9000 series as well? NVIDIA used both 8xxx and 9xxx names on their cards quite a while back. Although, they called them 8 series and 9 series.

i hope they wont call their cards like HD10000 after that generation 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Wouldn't there be a copyright issue with the 9000 series as well? NVIDIA used both 8xxx and 9xxx names on their cards quite a while back. Although, they called them 8 series and 9 series.

Nvidia used the 7000 series name as well. 7950 GT/GTX/GX2 for example.

Well, it said nothing about 9000 series in that post. 

Volcanic Islands is the 9000 series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Radeon_HD_9000_Series

AMD went through this once before when they jumped from their 9000 series to the x000 series, they used it again on the x1000 series & later on dropped the X & replaced it with the HD moniker on the HD2000 series.

Heh. Reminds me of when NVIDIA skipped the 300 series and didn't do a 100 series after their 9 series. These guys give me a headache with the naming conventions of their cards..

skipping will mean they are introducing a new chip rather than refreshing the old one_I think its possible the way things are looking

AMD's Chief Technology Architect Jim Keller famously known for his brilliant involvement in the massively popular Athlon64 CPUs revealed yesterday some astonishing news to Rage3D : AMD's 20nm based HD 9000 series code named "Volcanic Islands" is coming to consumers' hands this year !
It's worth noting that while AMD's 9000 series is going to be 20nm based & coming this year, arch-rival Nvidia's 700 series coming later this month is going to be based on the older 28nm process.

This is what he had to say :

The Sea Islands codename encompasses the PS4 chip, as well as the new mobile chips announced at CES, and the Bonaire GPU found in the Radeon HD 7790. I bring this up because it shows the people inside AMD continue to work hard, long hours to deliver great products amongst the turmoil shown in the press.

He adds :

The next generation of graphics cards -- Volcanic Islands -- is coming this year and shaping up nicely. When you name products after places, it leads to interesting thoughts about where to hold events surrounding that namesake product. Typically places that are cheap to get travel to internationally for a worldwide congregation are preferred, so I'm off to renew my passport on the off chance I'm headed to Reykjavik later this summer. But I sure as hell wouldn't complain about being sent to Honolulu, either.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Volcanic-Islands-GPU-Sea-Island,22443.html

Let's hope it's true. I wonder what will happen with Nvidia's 700 series seeing how it would be 1 generation behind.

Wait am I missing something? What the hell happened to HD8000? lol

AMD usually sticks to the same nanometer node for 2 generations & thus an 8000 series part would be based on the 28nm process & as the volcanic islands series cards are based on the more advanced 20nm process it would be inappropriate to call it the 8000 series.

yah, HD8000 is only mobile stuff and such.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Let's hope it's true. I wonder what will happen with Nvidia's 700 series seeing how it would be 1 generation behind.

This spells trouble for Nvidia as they have been historically known to be reluctant to move to a new process node .

The GTX 280 & 260 for example were 65nm based while at the same time AMD/ATi had the 55nm based 4870 & 4850.

This point is very interesting I believe, needs to be discussed in the live stream.

I'll have to wait and see the numbers ;) both camps are looking pretty good ATM.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

AMD usually sticks to the same nanometer node for 2 generations & thus an 8000 series part would be based on the 28nm process & as the volcanic islands series cards are based on the more advanced 20nm process it would be inappropriate to call it the 8000 series.

Ahh ok I was unaware that volcanic islands was 20nm :P I guess I should have read OP post better lol

Interesting stuff, can't wait to see what AMD come up with. They are going to have a lot of money floating around now thanks to the large console deals. 

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Nah They'll Probably call them HD OVER 9000!

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

WOW, its double the performance of the 7970 :), I can't wait to see how theses bad boy stand with the Nviidia 700 series, I think AMD might win again, going into next year, if all Nvidia is going to do is a refresh of the Kepler architecture. I can't wait for the battle to begin  :)

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "