Internet Explorer exploit that affects all versions is Windows XPs first post retirement security flaw

WhatTheQuack

It was revealed yesterday that already Windows XP is vulnerable to a pretty serious security exploit involving Internet Explorer. Basically hackers are able to gain full system permissions of a computer apparently by just visiting a malicious website using Internet Explorer. This exploit reportedly effects every version of IE.

Source: The Verge

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/27/5659006/internet-explore-zero-day-security-flaw-affects-all-versions

EDIT: Internet Explorer across all OSs is affected by this exploit, the difference here being that XP won't be patched to prevent this

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

This is why you upgrade kids.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

And grandmas.

and dinosaurs

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

This is only the beginning of the slow painful death of XP, as more zero-day exploits appear.

If you have xp, just unplug from the internet. the best protection against exploits and its free.

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

Sort of why you don't stick with an operating system for a decade.

If there weren't major security issues...that would be amazing. 

Follow me on Twitter!

Technology Journalist at TechnologyTell, NextPowerUp, and others. 

You want to install Microsoft Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/jj653751

It's not an anti-virus, but blocks exploits. I am not sure if it will help for XP users, but if you need the additional protection, it is something to consider to get.

You should also advise that it will break a clusterfuck of things.

Signatures are stupid.

You should also advise that it will break a clusterfuck of things.

You mean software with security issues that should not be there? Yes. That's the point. But yes you are right. I should have mentioned that.

Also it doesn't work if you have Windows 8.1 Update 1.

This is the type of security that Microsoft wants to provide in the OS, but doesn't, because people will complain how their poorly coded game or program stopped working.

However, it should be fine for all the popular programs were they are all or mostly well coded and shouldn't have any issues.

Well you can always uninstall it if it's problematic.

im all for exploits, i hope it catch out the lazy and incompetent. i don't see why any one would be on xp past 2010 have software that only runs on x86 here is a idea update you come more often then one every 10 years dam.

So who wants to be the first idiot that tries to sue microsoft for not fixing it after they get hacked lol. I have 2 copies of vista one replaced on xp and the other may go on my old pentium 4 thats rarely used as its a 32 bit version of the os. For older apps that dont run in 7 or 8

ps any one know when dos 6.2 and windows 3.11 will get the heartblead updates lol j.k

This is something I have known about for the past 9 years, I find it funny that once the government says something about, now everyone gets it lol

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Linus is going to have to stop using IE for now.