• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#1 tabuburn

tabuburn

Ikari Gendo

• 1,141 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:28 AM

admin edit: added video inspired by this thread.

WARNING: I haven't seen anyone encountering this but just like overclocking, there is an inherent risk of damaging your display and it may not be covered by its warranty. It may not even be able to achieve the same settings other people are able to get.

Note: I did not make this guide but have used it on all of my monitors without any problems. Credits are due to the ones that originally posted these on another forum. 

What this guide is all about is how to get higher resolutions than what your display is capable of. It is called Downsampling. What it basically does is to have your GPU artificially push a resolution that's over what your display is able to do. The impact it will have on your GPU is equivalent to what it would do on a display that can actually output that resolution natively.

For example:

Your display is natively able to support a resolution up to 1920x1080. Using Downsampling it will send out a signal to tell your display to output a resolution of 2560x1440. Now on a display that can output a maximum resolution of 1080p has about 2 million pixels while a 1440p display outputs 3.7 million. Downsampling does not increase the amount of pixels being displayed. Itcan't go beyond that. What it does is bring that 1440p resolution to your 1080p display and compresses it to fit inside the screen. The effect it has is similar to zooming out on a lower resolution picture.

Below, you can see the difference in image quality on both images taken on the same display. Both images are using the same settings but with different resolutions.

Native 1080p resolution image viewed on a 1080p display:

lycanmqu3o.png

Same image with a downsampled resolution of 3680x2070 on the same 1080p display:

lyacn29cu26.png

Downsampling guide for NVIDIA cards: http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=509076

Downsampling guide for AMD cards: http://forums.guru3d...ad.php?t=366244

• Cbeeman, jesper101996, vaerk and 30 others like this

Login or Create an Account to get rid of this ad! Login or Create an Account to get rid of this ad!

#2 prodigydoo

prodigydoo

• 383 posts
  • LocationPerth Australia

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:32 AM

wow thanks for posting this, I have actually looked for this in the past and found nothing...

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.co...inus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

#3 prodigydoo

prodigydoo

• 383 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:33 AM

So should I seriously consider the risks before doing this or should I just go for it?

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.co...inus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

#4 Genecidalic

Genecidalic

Gotham's Derpiest Hero

• 1,084 posts
  • LocationMidland,Tx

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:35 AM

So should I seriously consider the risks before doing this or should I just go for it?

I would really think about it before you do somthing to your display

• Zyphera likes this

#5 tabuburn

tabuburn

Ikari Gendo

• 1,141 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:38 AM

Yes, there are inherent risks and it is up to the individual person to decide whether they want to do it or not.

#6 Lukiose

Lukiose

Highly Critical Delusional-Fanboy Slaying Chicken Fapper Realist

• 2,015 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:38 AM

Well, in essence, doesn't this fulfill the same purpose as anti aliasing? By shrinking the picture you reduce the size of the jaggies

• bartekxx12, xAlphaStick, SteepGnomeKing and 7 others like this

#7 bradscoolio

bradscoolio

Ruthless High Overlord

• 3,077 posts
  • LocationSuperpositioned

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:39 AM

What were the imposed risks you speak of?

#8 Andi

Andi

• Gold Contributor
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:41 AM

i thought downsampling is nothing else than resampling high resolution back to normal...its more like really good Anti-Aliasing, how could that voild my warranty?

• Zyphera likes this

#9 tabuburn

tabuburn

Ikari Gendo

• 1,141 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:48 AM

Well, in essence, doesn't this fulfill the same purpose as anti aliasing? By shrinking the picture you reduce the size of the jaggies

Not exactly. AA reduces the size of the jaggies by throwing more pixels at the edges to smoothen the image. Downsampling is basically forcing your display to accept higher resolutions. It basically squishes the higher resolution image to fit into your display.

What were the imposed risks you speak of?

i thought downsampling is nothing else than resampling high resolution back to normal...its more like really good Anti-Aliasing, how could that voild my warranty?

It's just like what Linus said about Nvidia's GPU Boost 2.0's ability to overclock your monitor/TV's refresh rate. You are making it do what it was not designed to do. This could damage the panel itself or overheat the electronics of the display. There's a low chance it might happen, but it is still there.

• Zyphera, Kuzma and FlamingDefibs like this

#10 prodigydoo

prodigydoo

• 383 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:56 AM

after reading how to do it.. im very convinced now that im going to give it a show since your not 'hacking' anything.. the settings are there for you to pick.. so it feels more safe atleast lol

#11 prodigydoo

prodigydoo

• 383 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:00 AM

well apparently

Downsampling, also called OGSSAA : Ordered Grid SuperSampling AntiAliasing

so yeh antialiasing it is ;)

Quoted from the nvidia link in the original post

#12 tabuburn

tabuburn

Ikari Gendo

• 1,141 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:13 AM

I only implied that it could void the warranty. It's kind of like overclocking your monitors refresh rate via Nvidia GPU Boost 2.0 instead you are kind of overclocking your monitors resolution. And like NVIDIA and Linus said about overclocking the refresh rate, display manufacturers may or may not honor your warranty if they find out that you did something that caused it to fail.

#13 prodigydoo

prodigydoo

• 383 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:24 AM

ok so im now at 2560x1440 and things are smaller, but for regular desktop use, everythings just more blurry.. also I noticed since doing this that every now and then a faint 'scanning' sort of effect is going on on my seccond monitor which is not downsampled and is runnin off dvi a to bga..

text is blurrier..  everything is blurrier... im gonna give games a shot now since that seems to be what this is targeted for

• Zyphera and OddlyShapedTree like this

#14 tabuburn

tabuburn

Ikari Gendo

• 1,141 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:28 AM

ok so im now at 2560x1440 and things are smaller, but for regular desktop use, everythings just more blurry.. also I noticed since doing this that every now and then a faint 'scanning' sort of effect is going on on my seccond monitor which is not downsampled and is runnin off dvi a to bga..

text is blurrier..  everything is blurrier... im gonna give games a shot now since that seems to be what this is targeted for

Yep. On the desktop, it will always look crappy for some reason. On games though, noticeable improvement in graphical quality.

#15 prodigydoo

prodigydoo

• 383 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:36 AM

Yep. On the desktop, it will always look crappy for some reason. On games though, noticeable improvement in graphical quality.

Your right.. I just hopped on cod4 promod, my game of choice, and noticed quite a good difference :P

#16 tabuburn

tabuburn

Ikari Gendo

• 1,141 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:42 AM

Your right.. I just hopped on cod4 promod, my game of choice, and noticed quite a good difference :P

Told ya. Just switch back to 1080p if you are going back to the desktop so it won't look like crap. That's what I do.

#17 prodigydoo

prodigydoo

• 383 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:49 AM

Told ya. Just switch back to 1080p if you are going back to the desktop so it won't look like crap. That's what I do.

I am very pleased with this new discovery ;)

• Zyphera likes this

#18 tabuburn

tabuburn

Ikari Gendo

• 1,141 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:54 AM

For some reason, you get better downsampling on displays with native 1080p resolution. I can barely get my 1440p display to downsample more than a 100 or so in each direction. Either that, or my display is just bad at downsampling since my 1080p ones got up to near 4K resolutions.

#19 Zeal

Zeal

Zeal PC

• 607 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

Thank you for this! Running from 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 really put my 680 on its knees ^_^
  • nan the great and Zyphera like this

#20 joelthezombie15

joelthezombie15

The Unicorn Wizard

• Banned
  • 6,944 posts
  • LocationGallifrey

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

cool thanks

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users