EVGA GeForce GT 630

What would this card be like for folding, I know it has 96 CUDA cores but I'm not sure if it'll work as I'm not experienced with this folding stuff yet.

I'd like a more powerful card but my mum said she'll get me one and I can't turn down free hardware, especially in the situation I'm in at the moment.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Actually the 6700 series would probably be worse then the 630 at the moment - and hits your CPU utilization, at least for Folding.

In all fairness, if you getting the card for free... then Fold away. :) It won't put out huge numbers, no, but along with CPU folding, you should be able to do a few K PPD. 

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Depending on the project the Core i3 most of the time hits around 5,000 but I've seen it as high as 7,000.

Any ideas what the GT 630 may be able to achieve along with the CPU?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Depending on the project the Core i3 most of the time hits around 5,000 but I've seen it as high as 7,000.

Any ideas what the GT 630 may be able to achieve along with the CPU?

i did a little googling for you and found that the average with a decent cpu and a gt 630 seems to be around 5-9k

If that's right, 5~9k isn't bad at all.

If that's right, 5~9k isn't bad at all.

it seems possible cause his cpu is already hitting between 5-7k so that gpu getting around 2k sounds about right, i think i might have a gt 630 i can toss in my system and test to find out the gpu numbers ignoring my cpu and current gpu's numbers

I've just overclocked my CPU a little, was 3.3GHz and now running at 3.44GHz, should help a touch:)

Oh, I read it wrong. Thought It was for the 630 alone, my bad. But still, every little bit help.

My suggestion: take the money instead of the 630, save some more and eventually get a 560 or a 560ti.

I've just overclocked my CPU a little, was 3.3GHz and now running at 3.44GHz, should help a touch:)

qwerty's suggestion is your best bet, only way i would suggest the gt 630 is if you use the rig for gaming as well and plan to get a better nvidia card in the future, then you could recycle that gt 630 as a dedicated physx card

qwerty's suggestion is your best bet, only way i would suggest the gt 630 is if you use the rig for gaming as well and plan to get a better nvidia card in the future, then you could recycle that gt 630 as a dedicated physx card

It will be used for gaming as well and I'd love a GTX 560 or similar but my mum is getting me the GT 630 in a few months or so, doesn't cost me a cent so any improvement for zero cost is good:) and I can't turn down free hardware.

Also the GPU in the GT 630 (same as the GT 620) is 336 GFLOPS which is a little more powerful than a 6 core Core i7-3970X (I know you can't really compare CPU and GPU), I think the folding should be pretty good unless I don't understand FLOPS as well as I thought.

All about computing performance right?

Actually no, it also depends on driver optimization. AMD GPUs without core17 WUs gets very bad performance. And as far as I know, folding isn't optimized for the GTX Titan yet, so the performance isn't as good as it could be.

In the other hand, nvidia cards sucks at bitcoin mining, and AMD performs very well.

The same occurs in one way or the other in most games too.

It will be used for gaming as well and I'd love a GTX 560 or similar but my mum is getting me the GT 630 in a few months or so, doesn't cost me a cent so any improvement for zero cost is good:) and I can't turn down free hardware.

Also the GPU in the GT 630 (same as the GT 620) is 336 GFLOPS which is a little more powerful than a 6 core Core i7-3970X (I know you can't really compare CPU and GPU), I think the folding should be pretty good unless I don't understand FLOPS as well as I thought.

All about computing performance right?

well the gt 630 cant really be compared to a cpu since it is a different instruction set but yes the gt 630 will net you a decent ppd

GFLOPS don't matter in GPU Folding - for NVidia - all about Cuda - GT 630 - I would say around 3k - I think my 640 pulled around 4K or so. A monster 3970x should pull 40K at least

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for re-awakening my old thread but I've got the video card installed with the lastest driver (320.18) and can't get it to fold, it doesn't even show up in the client.

Any idea's?

try getting older drivers, maybe.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

What's folding......?

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

What's folding......?

Please read the pinned posts....

Well the little GF108 is running nicely now though in the client it shows up as GK107 which is weird.

Temps I was getting a little worried seeing it at 66 degrees but now has dropped to 42 degrees which I'm happy at.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Well the little GF108 is running nicely now though in the client it shows up as GK107 which is weird.

Temps I was getting a little worried seeing it at 66 degrees but now has dropped to 42 degrees which I'm happy at.

Thanks for the help guys :)

66 is fine anyway

66 is fine anyway

Cool but I prefer lower numbers :)

If I could get it to 10 degrees I'd be happier but not sure if that is possible lol

Cool but I prefer lower numbers :)

If I could get it to 10 degrees I'd be happier but not sure if that is possible lol

how good is your A/C? lol

how good is your A/C? lol

Not good enough to reach those temps :)