Sony and Panasonic Develop New Optical Storage Standard

Sony Corporation and Panasonic Corporation today announced that they have formulated "Archival Disc", a new standard for professional-use, next-generation optical discs, with the objective of expanding the market for long-term digital data storage.

Optical discs have excellent properties to protect themselves against the environment, such as dust-resistance and water-resistance, and can also withstand changes in temperature and humidity when stored. They also allow inter-generational compatibility between different formats, ensuring that data can continue to be read even as formats evolve. This makes them robust media for long-term storage of content. Recognizing that optical discs will need to accommodate much larger volumes of storage going forward, particularly given the anticipated future growth in the archive market, Sony and Panasonic have been engaged in the joint development of a standard for professional-use next-generation optical discs.

Archival_Disc_details.jpg

Roadmap

Both Sony and Panasonic aim to launch systems with a recording capacity of 300 GB per disc from summer 2015, onwards. In addition, both companies plan to leverage their respective technologies to further expand the recording capacity per disc to 500 GB and 1 TB.

Archival_Disc_details_02.jpg

Oh god here comes the second wave of storing all of your torrents physically...

Case: CM Storm Trooper I CPU: 4770k @4.5ghz I Cpu cooler: H110 I RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16gb 2400mhz I GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC I Mobo: Msi gd65 I PSU: Corsair rm 750w I KEYBOARD: Cm Storm Trigger cherry mx blue I MOUSE: Corsair m65 I MONITORS: ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz and Acer X223W 22" 60hz I AUDIO: Corsair vengeance 1500

300 GB write once? whats the point of that?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

300 GB write once? whats the point of that?

Them uncompressed movies!

Them uncompressed movies!

disks also get scratched up.... I dont think they are suitable for long term storage. and not to mention its not hard to break one either.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Why...

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Why...

4k movies.

Also, just if anyone is wondering 405nm is essentially violet light, near UV. So now the lasers in optical drives will also be violet.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I can't be alone in wanting permanent archival storage like this. Let's hope that Sony doesn't mess this up, and it will be reasonably priced.

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

disks also get scratched up.... I dont think they are suitable for long term storage. and not to mention its not hard to break one either.

Depends on how you store the disks. If you put them in a proper container and take good care of them they can last for a long time. And it's R only so it's not like you'll be using it everyday. Also it's way cheaper to archive with optical disks than with an HDD.

It's not hard to break a Swiss watch but they last for centuries if treated properly...

Depends on how you store the disks. If you put them in a proper container and take good care of them they can last for a long time. And it's R only so it's not like you'll be using it everyday. Also it's way cheaper to archive with optical disks than with an HDD.

Even if treated properly discs degrade over time. I've had several become unreadable after a period of 8 years.

I still prefer something like an MDisc. If it's as long lasting as those claim to be, it might be an interesting choice.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm very interested in this if the "archival" name is true. How long will these discs last? I wouldn't compare them to the cheap optical discs we have today if they use the archival standard. But even if they are $30/TBdisc, it would be way cheaper than HDDs. My many TBs of NAS drives will eventually fail no matter what raid configuration they are in.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

yesssssssssssss finally something to push 4K content more

I am stoked 

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

4k movies.

Also, just if anyone is wondering 405nm is essentially violet light, near UV. So now the lasers in optical drives will also be violet.

100% correct 405nm is almost UV.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Let's hope the put them out before no more cases support optical drive bays :lol:

also why only up to 1tb that's not enough! oh damn I just had to think of the write speed...  

"write all your data on a disk in only 76 hours" <_<

Let's hope the put them out before no more cases support optical drive bays :lol:

also why only up to 1tb that's not enough! oh damn I just had to think of the write speed...  

How fast would these things be able to read, that is the main question. I can only see 4K movies when i think of 1TB discs.

For the first time you will have buffering when watching a movie off a local copy.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Umm late to party much.. but as its not aimed at the everyday use market but rather the archiving market.... which frankly will go lets see optical disk versus tape... tape wins

I don't really see the point of this. Why further develop a mostly dead technology? Aren't Blu-Rays high enough capacity to store 4K films anyway? 

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

I wonder if they are pairing it up with m-disc technology. A 1 TB disc that can last a thousand years would be very attractive for archivers.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

I have to admit I have a bit of a soft spot of optical media  =3 this kind of excites me xD

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Awesome news, now when you buy software from the shops they can put the 43MB installer on a 300GB disc instead of a 600MB cd and make you download the rest of the program using up your bandwidth and time.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

External drives.

Also, the write speed doesn't matter that much to me, so long as it's decent (and it will likely be) since I (and most people probably) would be using it only for occasional back ups of our most important data. 

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

Really Panasonic and Sony, you guys are like a dog with a bone, let the cd's die please.

Core - EVGA Classified 3 | i7 980x | 12GB Corsair Dominator GT | Lian Li P80 | Corsair 128 Neutron GTX | 2 x WD 500gb Velociraptor | Asus Xonar Xense | 2 x EVGA 590 | Enermax Platimax 1500

Water Cooling - Alphacool NexXxos 360 Monsta | TFC 360 | Alphacool D5 Vario | Alphacool 250 Tube res | EK Supreme HF Nickle Plexi | 2 x EK Nickle Plexi 590 WB | Aquaero 5 XT

External drives.

Also, the write speed doesn't matter that much to me, so long as it's decent (and it will likely be) since I (and most people probably) would be using it only for occasional back ups of our most important data. 

didn't it say non re-writeable?

Edit: hmm can't find anything on that.

It's not practical. A Blu-Ray disk holds a maximum of 50GB per disc, and cost about $3 per disc (source). You can also get 25 GB discs for about $0.50 per disc (source)

You can get a 2TB external drive for about $100 (source).

To store 2TB, you'd have to buy 40 50GB Blu-Ray drives ($120), or 80 25GB discs ($40). You also have to buy a Blu-Ray R/W drive for about $70 (source). So it's not cheaper.

Also, the prospect of reading back 80 Blu-Ray discs to recover data is not a tantalizing proposition. Whereas with a hard drive you can just plug it in and leave it be. Also, 80 discs takes up a good deal of space.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking