Microsoft's Head Of Pc Gaming Calls It Quits.

Roughly 6 months ago Ex Valve employee Jason Holtman was recruited by Microsoft to spearhead their PC Gaming and Entertainment division. Now some interesting news has emerged, he has left his position at Microsoft. No word what has caused his departure, but it was apparently his decision.

This may have something to do with Satya Nadella taking the wheel as the new CEO, some restructuring has been rumored to take place while the company apparently contemplates killing off Bing search and Xbox. Though we ca only speculate. what is for certain is that a lot of interesting news has sprung out about Microsoft recently, this just adds to the growing list of intriguing happenings.

Does this mean that Microsoft may be cutting back on game support?

Is Direct3D being tossed out along with Xbox and Bing?

Is Microsoft's focus going to be more on cloud and mobile computing?

No one knows as of yet, though Satya is being pressured by investors to trim the fat, so what goes and what stays?

Interesting times in Redmond...

EDIT

What do you guys think Microsoft's best strategy going forward would be? (in terms of PC gaming)

Source

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Does this mean that Microsoft may be cutting back on game support?

Is Direct3D being tossed out along with Xbox and Bing?

Is Microsoft's focus going to be more on cloud and mobile computing?

Microsoft hasn't really given a horse's bum about pc gaming for years already. I don't expect that to change. It's a real shame because they could have helped pc gaming become a much bigger thing than it is today (right now pc gaming is still a small minority compared to console playing)

Well games for windows live is not getting along so well right now... maybe they are gonna replace Xbox with DirectX and make DirectX steamboxes?

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

IMHO, I do believe that the future will be will be more focused on cloud and mobile computing so if they are focusing more it may not be such a bad thing. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Microsoft hasn't really given a horse's bum about pc gaming for years already. I don't expect that to change. It's a real shame because they could have helped pc gaming become a much bigger thing than it is today (right now pc gaming is still a small minority compared to console playing)

Yeah, everyone hoped that with an ex-Valve employee at the helm of the PC gaming division there would come a drastic change (for the good) to the company's approach to the PC gaming market.

They probably had him working on the shitty windows store games or something, Microsoft's idea of PC gaming is probably different than ours *cough* farmville *cough*

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Well games for windows live is not getting along so well right now... maybe they are gonna replace Xbox with DirectX and make DirectX steamboxes?

Xbox runs directX....

Hail Sithis!

IMHO, I do believe that the future will be will be more focused on cloud and mobile computing so if they are focusing more it may not be such a bad thing. 

Yeah but Microsoft will get left in the dust, Steam Machines and Nvidia Grid are on the horizon, each of them very promising technologies.

Hail Sithis!

Yeah but Microsoft will get left in the dust, Steam Machines and Nvidia Grid are on the horizon, each of them very promising technologies.

That depends if they are deeply investing in more cloud computing it or not. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

That depends if they are deeply investing in in it or not. 

wait...what.

Hail Sithis!

Steam machines will be a flop, mark my words. And NVIDIA Grid is still far from becoming reality, especially because of absymal internet speeds and ping in many countries. Not to menion that I think many people wouldn't be keen on paying a monthly fee to use a computer. 

wait...what.

Well if they are spending a boat load of money on R and D for cloud computing, they could stand a chance. Of course I don't think that is happening but you never know. 

Spoiler

Steam machines will be a flop, mark my words. And NVIDIA Grid is still far from becoming reality, especially because of absymal internet speeds and ping in many countries. Not to menion that I think many people wouldn't be keen on paying a monthly fee to use a computer. 

Grid is a good 5-10 years away for sure. 

Spoiler

I agree they will be, but at least they are moving the market where it needs to go.

Steam Machines would be a lot better if valve clamped down the hardware requirements a bit, give the developers something to code for for christ sake! Open platforms are good but suffer in performance in the long run. they can do yearly releases but keep the hardware within a minimum at least.

Hail Sithis!

You have been features by Mr.Linus himself :D.

CPU i5 6600K | Mobo Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 | Cooling H80i | MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB in SLi | Geil Super Luce 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Intel 330 120GB | 2 x 1TB WD Black | Corsair Air 540 | XFX ProSeries 1250W. | Corsair K70 Anodised Black Cherry Reds | Logitech G502 | Dell U2713HM | Red LED Lighting.

Portable Gamer - Metabox Alpha W370SS - CPU i7 4710MQ | RAM 8GB 1600MHz | Nvidia GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | 17.3" Matte Display 72% Gamut
Back-up - HP Pavilion dv6 - Ancient Stuff - P7550 @ 2.26gHz  | DDR2 4GB | Kingston HyperX 120Gb SSD | ATi 4550m (fried)

Grid is a good 5-10 years away for sure. 

But it is the future!

Hail Sithis!

Casuals lead the company. Clouds for everyone in 2020!

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

You have been features by Mr.Linus himself :D.

umm what?

Hail Sithis!

What if.... MS is working on DirectX 12 which will be a release feature of Windows 9 in collaboration with Nvidia and it's going to destroy Mantle and will give better performance?

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

umm what?

Linus featured you on his facebook page..

Go check it out.. 

This thread - Promoted/Featured by LINUSSS ^_^

CPU i5 6600K | Mobo Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 | Cooling H80i | MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB in SLi | Geil Super Luce 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Intel 330 120GB | 2 x 1TB WD Black | Corsair Air 540 | XFX ProSeries 1250W. | Corsair K70 Anodised Black Cherry Reds | Logitech G502 | Dell U2713HM | Red LED Lighting.

Portable Gamer - Metabox Alpha W370SS - CPU i7 4710MQ | RAM 8GB 1600MHz | Nvidia GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | 17.3" Matte Display 72% Gamut
Back-up - HP Pavilion dv6 - Ancient Stuff - P7550 @ 2.26gHz  | DDR2 4GB | Kingston HyperX 120Gb SSD | ATi 4550m (fried)

What if.... MS is working on DirectX 12 which will be a release feature of Windows 9 in collaboration with Nvidia and it's going to destroy Mantle and will give better performance?

Not likely, they chose AMD as a hardware partner for Xbox. Not likely either way honestly.

I have a feeling we will be stuck with directX 11 for a while.

Hail Sithis!

Linus featured you on his facebook page..

Go check it out.. 

This thread - Promoted/Featured by LINUSSS ^_^

Oh. cool I guess :D

#internetFamous

Hail Sithis!

I hope mantle doesn't get crushed... its a really interesting concept. We need more innovative competition! 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

What are your thoughts @LinusTech ?

Hail Sithis!

i give microsoft 10 years  until its downfall

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.