64 replies to this topic

#1 Windspeed36

Windspeed36

ARG:5 ERROR

• 5,067 posts
  • Location'Straya

User's Awards

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

Heya, thought I'd share my thoughts on a recent pair of Solo's I acquired. I'll keep this relatively short.

Build quality - the build quality of these is exceptional. The mix of metal, leather and strong plastic make these feel exceptional to the touch and like they're not going to go fall apart on you.
Packing - I don't actually think I've seen packaging on anything that was as good as this. The box is the sort of thing you could probably run over with a small truck and it wouldn't bat an eyelid. Mine arived in the mail just in a plastic bag and perfectly fine.
Accessories - The neat carry bag for them is a useful addition as is the microfiber cloth and the removable cable. There is nothing I hate more than a dead cable but operational cans.

What I don't like.
The sound quality - I know quite a few of you just float along with the general consensus that Beats are horrible without actually having tried them. I had a quick demo of a few of the models at a store about 6 months ago and I wasn't impressed then. I've spent the last day with them instead of my usual Denon AH-D2000's and all I can say is that those headphones you get for a couple of bucks at the junk shop sound better.

With the stock app on my HTC One as well as the stock music app on iOS there was a mix of tin can and a heavy overture of sub woofer I guess you certainly don't have to worry about screeching 2.5K+ as it's barely distinguishable above the rumble of bass. I put it into EQu for IOS (a decent graphics EQ) and I can certainly get a better sound out of them. They go from absolutely terrible to mediocre though definitely still not worth $250 - I'm glad I got them for free.

The fit - I don't know if this is because they are new or something but it feels like after about 5-10 minutes my head is being sandwiched between two soft bricks.

So that's it. As I sort of hinted at, I got these for free with my new HTC One which I will post an iOS user making the switch review - all I can say now about it is that I love it. I'm certainly glad I didn't pay for the headphones because to me, they're worth about $50.

• RonaldJayQ, 11k and Kuzma like this

Login or Create an Account to get rid of this ad! Login or Create an Account to get rid of this ad!

#2 LinusTech

LinusTech

Mr. Tech Tips

• Administrator
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:38 AM

I've found the sound quality of the HTC One was exceptionally bad and iPhones aren't really anything special... Maybe don't quite throw in the towel on your new acquisition yet.

Have you tried them with anything better?

• TicTac, thirdworldking, Muffinator and 1 other like this

#3 Windspeed36

Windspeed36

• 5,067 posts
  • Location'Straya

User's Awards

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

Couple of different PC's all running onboard sound and then my mixer setup. Still sound all fairly terrible. As soon as I get some sort of custom eq settings on them, they turn out halfway decent. 

• 11k and Kuzma like this

#4 h264

h264

Semi-Professional iMac Gamer

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationA hotel in some hoedunk town in the US most likely...

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

I've found the sound quality of the HTC One was exceptionally bad and iPhones aren't really anything special... Maybe don't quite throw in the towel on your new acquisition yet.

Nah, Linus, they just suck.  A better amp or soundcard won't fix bad headphones.

Speaking of bad headphones, I got a certain pair right here by a company that advertises hearing less sound, ironically.

• vanwazltoff, Nirmal, bchampion96 and 7 others like this

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

#5 MdX MaxX

MdX MaxX

Ramblin' Wreck

• 1,243 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA, USA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

I spent a few hours with Beats Solos some weeks ago and I almost couldn't believe how actually terrible they are.

How is it that people pay no mind to the terrible sound quality of these things?  Yes, they've got bass, but that means nothing when you can't hear anything else.

Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.4GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 560-Ti | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws-X DDR3/1600 | Corsair AX860i (w/Red Sleeved Cables)

CM Storm Enforcer Samsung 840 250GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB CM Storm Trigger (w/Brown Switches) | CM Storm Inferno | Corsair H80i

2x Corsair SP120 PWM Quiet Edition ASUS Xonar DG | ASUS DVD Burner | ASUS VH238H LED-backlit Monitor | Logitech S220 Speakers

#6 Hans Christian | Teri

Hans Christian | Teri

Devil's Advocate

• 3,604 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

Really nice to see someone actually trying them out before judging. :) For some reason it seems to be popular to hate on certain products without trying them out yourself first, I hope we get rid of this tendency very soon. :(

#7 GamerDude

GamerDude

FrakkingFraggingFanatic

• 2,619 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

I did try one a short while back, a loaner from my niece, and honestly, my Senn CX200 sounds so much better. My niece's a sweet young thing, so anything bassy is awesome in her opinion. But when she'd asked for my opinion, I told her it wasn't bad.....a white lie doesn't hurt since she'd paid good money for hers.

• Wint3rSh0ck likes this

Rig 1: Intel i7 3960X | Asus R4E | 16GB Corsair Dom Plat 2133mhz | 2x Sapphire R9 290X (H2O) | SB ZX + Logitech Z-5500 | Caselabs M8 | Seasonic X-1250 | Leopold FC660C + Logitech G700s | 64bit Win8.1 Pro

Rig 2:  AM3+ FX8350 | Asus CVF | 16GB G RipJawsX 2133mhz | 2x GTX670 | SB Fatal1ty + Logitech Z623 | Corsair 650D | Enermax Maxrevo 1500W | HHKB Pro 2 + Roccat Kone XTD | 64bit Win7 Pro

Rig3: AMD AM3 X6 1100T | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 8GB DDR3 KHX SE 1600mhz | Sapphire HD7970 | Onboard Audio | Tt Level 10GT | Corsair HX1050 | Ducky DK9087G2 Pro Black + Tt Level 10M | 64bit Win7 HP 

#8 Austin Powers

Austin Powers

Elite

• 620 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

Tested them on the retail store and their ear cuffs are too small for me.

#9 josh_05

josh_05

• 271 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

You cant get any better than iphone's according to this article below, in fact the 4S comes very close to a Filo E17.

http://www.engadget....ls-audio-tests/

Audio is a very personal thing i think. Every product out there has a certain sound signature and it really depends on what type of sound you like, the type of music you listen to and what your using the product for... movies, games, music etc.

#10 Rhizo

Rhizo

• 442 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

Nah, Linus, they just suck.  A better amp or soundcard won't fix bad headphones.

Speaking of bad headphones, I got a certain pair right here by a company that advertises hearing less sound, ironically.

Well yeah, that's the point, they are made for the average consumer, so they are very easy to power, low sensitivity and ohm rating. An amp would make next to no difference. I have tried almost the whole beats line (exept the mixr) due to people around college, and all I have to say is, wow they sound bad for the money. Maybe for 1/5th of the price they would be fine but...

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

#11 h264

h264

• 1,777 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

Well yeah, that's the point, they are made for the average consumer, so they are very easy to power, low sensitivity and ohm rating. An amp would make next to no difference. I have tried almost the whole beats line (exept the mixr) due to people around college, and all I have to say is, wow they sound bad for the money. Maybe for 1/5th of the price they would be fine but...

177579.jpg?v=1

I know, no flame wars, but a friend sent me this a couple weeks ago and just fits way too well.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

#12 Whiskers

Whiskers

Master

• 1,468 posts
  • LocationScotland

User's Awards

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

It is actually unsettling how bad the Beats Solo headphones sound. The bass is excessively powerful with no detail, the mids are too quiet and the highs are the murkiest rubbish I've heard from any pair of headphones.

When testing them out I actually thought the pair I had was defective, but it turned out they weren't. Very disappointing - even a pair of Skullcandy Lowriders sounded better overall.

Please have a read over the Code of Conduct

Computer Specifications can be found under my profile

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted

#13 JaeDee884

JaeDee884

The Gopher

• 1,045 posts
  • LocationNT, Australia

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

I got a pair 18 months ago with my ol' Sensation XL for free.

good for bass, and not much else.
also the build quality doesn't last for long, they use very weak adhesive for the soft cover on top of the band, so it eventually starts coming off after 2 months, the cups are really susceptible to sweat, but these were my primary headphones for 6 months and they saw a lot of usage in that time as they were free, and the only other headphones i could afford are the dollar kind you buy from a budget shop, so at the time they were the highest quality I could afford.

back then I loved bass, so they were suited to my attitude, but since then my music tastes have matured, and while i appreciate a good sounding bass, i enjoy highs and mids and detail now, probably due to the shift from dubstep and modern pop to melodies and ballads.

Sorry for hijacking your review, figured I'd drop in a bit of information as someone who used then exclusively for a few months. my new AKG Q701's are much better and I haven't even got a DAC and Amp yet for them!

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: 7970 Crossfire RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

#14 SeaDooSnipe

SeaDooSnipe

• 97 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

I found them to be very uncomfortable and also the sound on them is complete crap, this is with testing on a Galaxy Nexus, iPad, MS Surface, PC with integrated sound and also my rig with an ASUS Xonar Phoebus.

#15 diabloj

diabloj

Rookie

• 16 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Try changing the cable (if it's removable), I've tried it with the Beats Mixr, Studio and Pro and it made a huge difference! These are all more expensive than your's, but it might be worth a try. I swapped the cable for an Audioquest Evergreen cable. In general though, none of the Beats products are worth your money, maybe except the Beats Pro if you swap the cable and pay a premium for the build quality. 

Main rigg: AMD Phenom II 1090t @ 4.0GHz | AMD Radeon HD 6950 ASUS Crosshair IV Formula NZXT Switch 810 Coolit C240 A.L.C.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 8470p + Samsung 830 240GB

HiFi: Laptop(foobar) -> Halide Design HD DAC -> Sansui SAP201V -> Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand (or DT 770) 

#16 AdamIsaacLang

AdamIsaacLang

My Backpack's Got Jets

• 2,828 posts
  • LocationWNY

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

BestBuy gets so many returns on beats it's not event funny.

• Whiskers, Dave Zember and AraSarkisyan like this

Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become.

#17 Windspeed36

Windspeed36

• 5,067 posts
  • Location'Straya

User's Awards

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:39 AM

Update for you guys.

Alright so I've had these exactly a week and I have to say I'm beginning to like them. Yes, I know - audio engineer who doesn't mind Beats - shoot me. I cannot stand them as they are with the default flat EQ - I've just flicked the EQ bypass on just then and I couldn't hear the vocals of this song. I've done a fair bit of extensive work with both a 10 band EQ on my iPad as well as then a DBX 31 band EQ out of my rack and they've got a decent sound after I've had a play. 

What I do hate and feel is unavoidable is the fact that my head feels like it's stuck between a ever consistently closing vice but the strange thing is that I only notice this when I'm stationary. 

Bottom line - I wouldn't pay the price tag they're asking for.

#18 killerx525

killerx525

Professional Hitman

• 1,040 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:50 AM

I've used the Beats Solo before and it sounds no where near as my Audio Technica ATH-M50S. Plus the ear cup came off which concurs with the rubbish build quality with Beats. 

#19 TB-303

TB-303

Advanced Member

• 253 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

You can get some professional grade gear for the price of those beats bulls**t.

#20 h264

h264

• 1,777 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Update for you guys.

Alright so I've had these exactly a week and I have to say I'm beginning to like them. Yes, I know - audio engineer who doesn't mind Beats - shoot me. I cannot stand them as they are with the default flat EQ - I've just flicked the EQ bypass on just then and I couldn't hear the vocals of this song. I've done a fair bit of extensive work with both a 10 band EQ on my iPad as well as then a DBX 31 band EQ out of my rack and they've got a decent sound after I've had a play. 

What I do hate and feel is unavoidable is the fact that my head feels like it's stuck between a ever consistently closing vice but the strange thing is that I only notice this when I'm stationary. 

Bottom line - I wouldn't pay the price tag they're asking for.

I think the fact they sound much better after you equalize them just proves they intentionally designed them to only sound good with rap music.  Also equalizing is something we should recommend to people who don't like how their headphones sound.  Much cheaper option than a new pair of headphones.