is a 400 watt power supply enough

Un1verses

I wouldn’t recommend it. Only playing with 23W, you could pass that with a power fluctuation and you’ll be stuck at stock clocks. 

I’d get at least a 500W PSU. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

I wouldn’t recommend it. Only playing with 23W, you could pass that with a power fluctuation and you’ll be stuck at stock clocks. 

totally fine with stock clocks for the moment. appreciate the feedback, will keep 500w in mind for future expansion.

No, it is not. You have 500 or more watts for minimum for that card, the gtx 1060 needs 120 watts of the power supply, i have a 520 watts 80 plus bronze of the brand seasonic and i have a gtx 960 which has the same power consumption.

The GTX 1060 needs 400 watts, this a minumium for energy, you have to need 500 or 600 watts for a single gpu, i recommend you the seasonic's or other powersupply of tier 1 and tier 2 with 600 watts or 550 how minimium. 

5 minutes ago, siggames said:

No, it is not. You have 500 or more watts for minimum for that card, the gtx 1060 needs 120 watts of the power supply, i have a 520 watts 80 plus bronze of the brand seasonic and i have a gtx 960 which has the same power consumption.

The GTX 1060 needs 400 watts, this a minumium for energy, you have to need 500 or 600 watts for a single gpu, i recommend you the seasonic's or other powersupply of tier 1 and tier 2 with 600 watts or 550 how minimium. 

im running it already with 400, and i was able to overclock it and my cpu without any issues.

Depends on which PSU it is. 

The wattage based on the PSU calculator is absolute BS. It's closer to 200W. 

:)

43 minutes ago, siggames said:

No, that build will use 200W.

45 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

It'll be more around 200W instead of 377.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

49 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

No, that build will use 200W.

It'll be more around 200W instead of 377.

appreciate the knowledge! got exactly what i came for, thanks!

8 minutes ago, Un1verses said:

appreciate the knowledge! got exactly what i came for, thanks!

Tip: add up the TDP and then add 50-100.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

5 hours ago, Un1verses said:

this is solved.

thanks to everyone involved in helping me.

What was solved??

As for the 400W PSU: there is like 2 or so that are OKish/decent (be quiet Straight Power 10 and all variants of the Plattform like Pure Power 10), System Power 9 and U9.

Except for those, there are no decent 400W units that come to my mind, the rest is 450W and not just 400...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

What was solved??

As for the 400W PSU: there is like 2 or so that are OKish/decent (be quiet Straight Power 10 and all variants of the Plattform like Pure Power 10), System Power 9 and U9.

Except for those, there are no decent 400W units that come to my mind, the rest is 450W and not just 400...

i wanted to know if i could run a ryzen 5 1600 with a 1060 3gb with a 400w. got all the feedback, thanks for trying to help too!

2 hours ago, Un1verses said:

i wanted to know if i could run a ryzen 5 1600 with a 1060 3gb with a 400w. got all the feedback, thanks for trying to help too!

With a crappy 400W wich you probably have, no.

Get a good PSU, not a random shitty "400W" that doesn't deserve to be sold.

for example:

https://geizhals.de/modecom-feel-400-a600046.html?hloc=de

Especially:

https://geizhals.de/cit-m-400u-400w-atx-2-3-a700867.html?hloc=de

So what PSU are you talking about exactly?!

A 400W is not a 400W, there are good ones and crappy ones that will cause Problems like shutdowns and reboots.

And also a 3GiB 1060 is crap, get a 570 instead, 8GiB if possible but even the 4GiB is far better than the 3GiB 1060 Garbage.

5 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

With a crappy 400W wich you probably have, no.

Get a good PSU, not a random shitty "400W" that doesn't deserve to be sold.

for example:

https://geizhals.de/modecom-feel-400-a600046.html?hloc=de

Especially:

https://geizhals.de/cit-m-400u-400w-atx-2-3-a700867.html?hloc=de

So what PSU are you talking about exactly?!

A 400W is not a 400W, there are good ones and crappy ones that will cause Problems like shutdowns and reboots.

And also a 3GiB 1060 is crap, get a 570 instead, 8GiB if possible but even the 4GiB is far better than the 3GiB 1060 Garbage.

no offense but you come off as a douche, something about the way you present yourself. you don't know what kind of power supply i have, to assume i have a random shitty one is demoralizing. 

here's my power supply. https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/1549

i'm upgrading over time, when i bought the 3gb 1060 the gpu market was shit, and paid like 300 dollars for it.

this was years ago mind you, around the time when the 1070 came out, which if i remember correctly the 1060 3gb came out after it.

so release fluctuation not to mention the already poor prices for consumers.

you don't know what kind of power supply i have, to assume i have a random shitty one is demoralizing. 

No but I'm in Forums long enough to know that people usually buy cheap/garbage and not the good stuff.

So when someone ask about a "400W PSU" I have to assume that its about a Thermaltake München or worse crap like an LC-Power or shit like that.

So here YOU are at fault because YOU should have mentioned what PSU you are talking about as Wattage is pretty much irrelevant, the series of the unit is more important than the wattage!

Yeah and why not say so?!
Why ask about "a 400W" PSU and not a Pure Power 11 400W?!
That is a big difference, as most 400W, as I said, are garbage even today.

i'm upgrading over time, when i bought the 3gb 1060 the gpu market was shit, and paid like 300 dollars for it.

this was years ago mind you, around the time when the 1070 came out, which if i remember correctly the 1060 3gb came out after it.

so release fluctuation not to mention the already poor prices for consumers.

Years ago?! Not really as the 1060 (3GiB) was released just last year...

And there's also the option of bying used (though not AMD at the time because they were used for mining at the time)...

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

No but I'm in Forums long enough to know that people usually buy cheap/garbage and not the good stuff.

So when someone ask about a "400W PSU" I have to assume that its about a Thermaltake München or worse crap like an LC-Power or shit like that.

So here YOU are at fault because YOU should have mentioned what PSU you are talking about as Wattage is pretty much irrelevant, the series of the unit is more important than the wattage!

Yeah and why not say so?!
Why ask about "a 400W" PSU and not a Pure Power 11 400W?!
That is a big difference, as most 400W, as I said, are garbage even today.

Years ago?! Not really as the 1060 (3GiB) was released just last year...

And there's also the option of bying used (though not AMD at the time because they were used for mining at the time)...

and it's pushing 2 years now since they've been released. so i'm correct in saying at least a year, or years ago

fyi, june is before july.

and i'm not at fault for anything really, i came for my answer and proceeded to get it; after everything was removed with "been solved". Not sure if you know what solved means or not.

all the information was provided, you actually have no idea what i said at all and provided a response that had nothing to do with the original topic.

next time, when something says solved, it's solved.

fyi the question wasn't about if the power supply is good, it's about if 400 watts was enough for what i was building.

i can understand that cheaper products yield cheap results, that's why i didn't cheap out on it, even though the brand of the psu doesn't matter at all with my topic other than a rough ESTIMATED wattage for my system.

if need be here's a simpler version:

is 400w enough for this system i am building, which was provided to everyone. You responded to a thread that i said is done, i didn't need anymore help, you generalized something up off of the title.

oh and police don't accuse everyone of buying drugs because the city is re-known for people doing it.

so you shouldn't assume that everyone buys trash either. that's a metaphor in case you don't get it.

Why so angry and not admit that you should have mentioned the Modelnumber of the PSU?!

As said earlier, there is a bunch of garbage 400W PSU and if someone asks, how should I know that they chose something good when the probability is pretty bad?!

So the answer is that the PSU Wattage is irrelevant!

What is relevant is the series.

And here some Reviews that show the differences:

https://www.computerbase.de/2015-10/350-watt-netzteil-test-lc-power-xilence-sea-sonic-super-flower/

Here you see just bad PSU and worse!

And even that Review is mostly junk:

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-07/cooler-master-cougar-xfx-zalman-netzteil-test/

So do you understand now that there are differences in the PSU and that Wattage is one of the least important measures and that someone here maybe wanted to make sure that you don't buy garbage?!

But you know the saying:

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!

So instead of beeing angry, maybe you should ask next time why they are reacting that way and not assume shit or just claim that they have to answer the Question the way you asked them. That's not what Forums do and should be...