Moderator elections

TopWargamer

Quite a few members on here clearly have a problem with some of the moderators on the forum. So I have a simple solution that will fix this problem without making any 1 person feel guilty. So here's how I plan to do it, er well, here's what I would like to happen.

@Slick

@LinusTech

Currently there are 8 moderators (NOT including admins). So let's make 8 the max amount of moderators, for this example, of course. As the forum continues to grow, we will obviously need more moderators. So with moderator elections, there will be a max of 8 mods. These 8 mods will serve for 3 month terms. Not too long, not too short.

What if some of the moderators are good?

I'm glad that you asked.

When the time comes around for a new moderator election, the current moderators will all be listed on a poll, and members will vote for the moderators who have done a good job during their 3 month term. The 3 moderators (this number will go up as the forum grows) with the highest amount of votes stay for another 3 month term, while the rest get the boot.

Now there are 5 slots open.

How will we select new moderators?

In a much better way than that of now.

As I said before, there are now 5 open slots. Linus or Slick would make a thread with a list of members that they think should be moderators. To get the best results possible, if there is a cap on the poll voting options, it would be nice to max out the cap each time. So at the end of the voting period, the 5 members with the highest votes will become moderators for the next 3 months.

So can members who have already been moderators, and were then kicked, become moderators again?

Of course.

How it would work is that if somebody was a moderator, got the boot, they would not be eligible in the next moderator election, but the one after that, they would be eligible for it.

So at this point, you would just rinse and repeat the cycle. I believe that a moderator election will improve overall LTT forum moderation, because it will force the moderators to moderate fairly, justly, and without an abuse of power. If they are not any of the things that were just listed, they have a much higher risk of getting the boot, and the point is that if you are a good moderator, you will stay in power longer, while the ones who are not as good will get the boot.

(And as an FYI, this will also tone down forum moderation complaints.)

EDIT: I know that nobody has said this yet, and I really hope that you don't, but I did not make this thread so I could have a possibility of becoming a moderator. I can tell you right now that if I was ever offered a moderation position on any forum that I would shoot it down so fast. I would not make a good moderator.

COMIC SANS

Interesting idea, much more democratic. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Can I put down my recommendations for moderators?

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

I would totally love to apply! I lurk around here all the time, and would love to give back to the community by making sure rules are enforced :)

Also, great idea @TopWargamer!

Edit-

I personally feel like we could use a few more moderator slots open as well. The community is pretty large atm, and there are quite a few times I notice that no moderator is online on the forum. So maybe another 2 slots to make it 10 would help the situation also! :)

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

That would be cool. Also, you say

with the highest amount of votes stay for another 3 terms

Do you mean months, or terms?

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

Very well put together but I'm really not sure on this

Also moderator compaints, that is the first time I've heard of those (though my activity isn't as high as it once was).

I'd also like to apply but I wouldn't be confident at it

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

But doesnt training a mod take a bit longer than 3 months? I love your idea but of course it will need some tweaking to make it work accordingly. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Do Linus or Slick even stay on the forums long enough to fairly judge who they feel should be moderators?

That would be cool. Also, you say

Do you mean months, or terms?

Ya, sorry. 3 months. Let me edit that.

COMIC SANS

Wonderful idea.  You get my support.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

It's a very good idea, seeing that there is some corruption around here. Come on, it's true.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Do Linus or Slick even stay on the forums long enough to fairly judge who they feel should be moderators?

Considering the amount of work those two do I'd imagine if this did happen they'd be representatives or something, I have no idea lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

i don't think this would be a good idea because the only way people will think a moderator is good is if the moderator doesn't penalize anyone or give them warning points. but then again, i'm having second thoughts.

this would actually make the forum more interesting than it currently is.

But doesnt training a mod take a bit longer than 3 months? I love your idea but of course it will need some tweaking to make it work accordingly. 

The list of members to become moderators would be based on how they act on the forum, their helpfulness on the forum, and their general knowledge of the LTT forum rules. So essentially, there is no need to train the new moderators if the selected members are already good, helpful members.

COMIC SANS

I dunno, I might make a pretty good mod on here when I'm actually on here. :D So obviously I agree.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

That's the point. Linus and Slick would just make the elected individuals moderators. We would decide who becomes one however. 

The list of members to become moderators would be based on how they act on the forum, their helpfulness on the forum, and their general knowledge of the LTT forum rules. So essentially, there is no need to train the new moderators if the selected members are already good, helpful members.

I'll just quote Linus bro. "This forum isn't a democracy." Or whatever he actually said. It was in regards to a "freedom of speech" comment, but I think it applies here too. 

I don't know. I could be wrong. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

i don't think this would be a good idea because the only way people will think a moderator is good is if the moderator doesn't penalize anyone or give them warning points. but then again, i'm having second thoughts.

Well, you're not necessarily wrong about this, because some people do think that way. A good member would be fine with proper, fair moderation instead of a person with a moderator title who does nothing or moderates unfairly.

COMIC SANS

#LOONEY4PRESIDENT 

#TOPWARGAMER4PRESIDENT

#THESLSAMG4PRESIDENT

#COOLBEANS4PRESIDENT

#THERUKE4PRESIDENT

Edited by TheRuke

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

So what you want to do is make a bunch of people who don't really know each other, vote on who gets to become a moderator based on friendships, running the risk of a rouge moderator every 3 months. You also want to judge moderators on their performance, based on your tiny glimpse of a slice of what it is to be a moderator without even access to important information such as reports handled numbers or see or even know about anything done in the background.

This can only go well...

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

A major issue with this is that you're basing your mod off popularity. And things that are popular are not always good.

Furthermore, a lot of a moderators job can't be gauged by the public. A mod might do a great job at moderating, ban hammering, deleting threads, moving threads, but nobody would ever know if they don't post. 

In that way it is impossible for the forum community to judge a mod, other than mods themselves. 

Setting this up properly and maintenance would make an absolute migraine for LTT staff and forum crew, especially considering the returns are not that great and you'd be putting the welfare of the forum in the hands of too great a variety of people. There is no real way to hold any of them accountable and dealing with the fallout of making X person a mod is probably more work in itself than the benefit of them being a mod in the first place.

Vehemently oppose this idea. 

Error: 410

I'm not sure what the gossip is about, but I think our current moderators are good.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

To be honest, if this was my forum there would be no members of staff elected. It may be harsh but that is the way I'd do it and feel that the current system shouldn't change.

If people have issues with any staff members then report them to the administrators, I don't think introducing a system where we elect the moderators is the right way to go about it, just my opinion.

For anyone who cares, I voted no.

A major issue with this is that you're basing your mod off popularity. And things that are popular are not always good.

Furthermore, a lot of a moderators job can't be gauged by the public. A mod might do a great job at moderating, ban hammering, deleting threads, moving threads, but nobody would ever know if they don't post. 

In that way it is impossible for the forum community to judge a mod, other than mods themselves. 

Hm, you do bring up a good point. I will admit that the system isn't perfect, and I never claimed it to be. Well, either way, I messaged both Linus and Slick about this idea, and have linked them to this thread so that they can see everybody's opinions. Ultimately, they will make the call, along with any necessary tweaks.

COMIC SANS