How should you turn off you pc?

Symbiode

So since I got my first pc back in 2010 when I was 6 years old, I heard that you should never turn off you computer using the power button on the casing. So I was a dumb kid and I had no idea about anything so I just believed it and I never looked into it. But then I saw people just turning it of using the power button, and it's not like that force stop thingy, just pressed it once. So I wanna know if there is any difference from doing that or turning it off the manual way. And also I wanna know if anything happens to your pc when u force stop thingy it or just straight up unplug it.

Tapping the power button (not holding it to kill power) operates the same way as pressing 'shut down'

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I always use the power button on the PC. hell if it crashed, I use the switch on the PSU. If you have a HDD, dont do the switch on the psu.

7 minutes ago, Symbiode said:

So since I got my first pc back in 2010 when I was 6 years old, I heard that you should never turn off you computer using the power button on the casing. So I was a dumb kid and I had no idea about anything so I just believed it and I never looked into it. But then I saw people just turning it of using the power button, and it's not like that force stop thingy, just pressed it once. So I wanna know if there is any difference from doing that or turning it off the manual way. And also I wanna know if anything happens to your pc when u force stop thingy it or just straight up unplug it.

I do it through software and then usually turn off the power supply too.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

4 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

I do it through software and then usually turn off the power supply too.

May I ask why you turn off the psu as well?

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

2 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

May I ask why you turn off the psu as well?

To make the RGB lights turn off (I sleep in the same room with my PC)

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

Just now, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Oh, makes sense HA, I've never had an rgb build, so I wouldn't know lol

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

2 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

burn the heretic

She/they 

Just now, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

burn the heretic

lmao :( My next build will tho, do not fret 

On 11/17/2018 at 1:27 PM, lmeneses said:

*gasp* Leave Now!

On 11/17/2018 at 12:13 PM, Symbiode said:

The reason why is simple. If the hard drive is currently writing something and you cut the power suddenly, you could crash the heads into the platters and break your hard drive. Also even with SSDs it's possible that if it was in the middle of writing something, you could break the file system and lose all your data. It's the same reason why you should "eject" usb drives before removing them. (Although by default most USB drives are setup so that you can just yank them and not worry about it.) As for the CPU or memory, I don't really think they care about a sudden shutdown. 

On 11/17/2018 at 12:16 PM, Slottr said:

Tapping the power button (not holding it to kill power) operates the same way as pressing 'shut down'

It depends on how it's setup in windows. You can make the power button do multiple things (sleep, shutdown, restart)

The power button on a computer these days is more like a signal to the system and the PSU. The system doesn't actually have to respond to a button press, though I believe for obvious reasons the power supply does respond to a long press.

However I usually just put the computer to sleep since I can wake it up by wiggling the mouse. If I'm going away for extended periods of time, I turn it off.

15 hours ago, corrado33 said:

The reason why is simple. If the hard drive is currently writing something and you cut the power suddenly, you could crash the heads into the platters and break your hard drive. Also even with SSDs it's possible that if it was in the middle of writing something, you could break the file system and lose all your data. It's the same reason why you should "eject" usb drives before removing them.

This is mostly mitigated now. I believe hard drives just yoink the heads back into the home position if power is cut and modern file systems are resilient to power loss.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

This is mostly mitigated now. I believe hard drives just yoink the heads back into the home position if power is cut and modern file systems are resilient to power loss.

I think that'd make an interesting video to test. It's still possible to mess up the not just a file, but the file system. Sure, it's less likely to happen now, but it's still a chance, and my data isn't worth the extra 5 seconds it takes to click "shutdown". :)

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I think that'd make an interesting video to test. It's still possible to mess up the not just a file, but the file system. Sure, it's less likely to happen now, but it's still a chance, and my data isn't worth the extra 5 seconds it takes to click "shutdown". :)

I mean, I'm not saying it's a excuse to be lazy, but there are mitigations in place so it's not likely to happen if sudden power loss occurs.

Edited by M.Yurizaki

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I mean, I'm not saying it's a excuse to be lazy, but there are mitigations in place so it's not likely to happen if sudden power loss occurs.

I really would like to see this tested by ltt. Have a hard drive that's currently being written to and just literally yank the sata power and data cables out and see what happens. (And/or power down by the power switch on the power supply.) Maybe if they get creative they could fabricate some sort of clear hard drive case so we could see what happens. 

On 11/17/2018 at 2:26 PM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Check your BIOS.  Mine (Gigabyte B450) has a setting to control if the RGB stays on when the computer is shut down.

On 11/18/2018 at 6:16 AM, Slottr said:

Just to expand on this, that is the default function however it is possible to change what it does when you tap the power button in the Power Plan settings in Windows. You can find it under "Power buttons and lid" in the power plan settings. So if it's not shutting down your computer when you tap the power button you can check the power plan settings to see what it's set to.

image.png.8186915ac11a6615558ec581428ef8b0.png

It's also possible to change how the power button responds in the BIOS. Typically there will be a setting for a single press (tap) and for hold press (4 seconds typically?). By default a single tap will shut down, as per the OS. Holding it for 4 seconds will just kill the power and bypass the OS shut down procedure - useful if your system has crashed/frozen and you need to force it to power down.

On 11/18/2018 at 6:26 AM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

I had the same annoyance with a headset that had RGBs that lit up the room at night even when turned off. Check for a setting in the motherboard for ErP and enable it. It tells the motherboard to enter a low powered state when 'off'. That will kill the RGBs when the system is off, however keep in mind you will lose the ability to wake the machine over LAN and you will also lose USB power when the system is off - though if you're switching the PSU off you aren't using those features anyway.

Turning on/off the PSU at the unit or wall every day can damage the PSU. Modern PSUs only use between 0.05 and 0.5 W while in standby mode so it's really not necessary to turn them off.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I remember when I was young computers never actually shut down automatically, they just "halted" (shut down the CPU, hard disk, etc, only a message was displayed) and needed the user to switch off manually using the power button, probably as M.Yurizaki says in the past PSU were just power supplies

11 hours ago, Lukyp said:

I remember when I was young computers never actually shut down automatically, they just "halted" (shut down the CPU, hard disk, etc, only a message was displayed) and needed the user to switch off manually using the power button, probably as M.Yurizaki says in the past PSU were just power supplies

"It is now safe to turn off your computer" in amber text.

On 11/18/2018 at 6:26 AM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

The bane of RGB...*night updates*

On 11/17/2018 at 11:26 AM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

If your RGB stays on when the motherboard is off, there's something wrong.

On 11/28/2018 at 1:09 AM, Worstcaster said:

Check your BIOS.  Mine (Gigabyte B450) has a setting to control if the RGB stays on when the computer is shut down.

This.

When the PC is "off" through "shut down", the ONLY power coming from the PSU should be the +5VSB which does not (or should not, rather) allow power to the lights, fans, etc.

Long term, flipping the switch on the PSU is going to damage your PSU.  There's plenty of threads here that have proven that.