Good high end headphones?

Shyam Ganapathy

Looking for some nice headphones, with good sound quality, and comfortability. Trying to keep the budget low, so don't go over the top. Any recommendations?

What Is your budget and location?

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

2 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

What Is your budget and location?

US east and budget kind of depends. Looking at around a hundred.

18 minutes ago, Shyam Ganapathy said:

Looking for some nice headphones, with good sound quality, and comfortability. Trying to keep the budget low, so don't go over the top. Any recommendations?

Hyperx Cloud 2

Im a Aussie gamer on half decent hardware......
desktop

i7 7700k 4.8ghz Msi ProCarbon Z270 gtx 1080 250gb samsung 850 evo 16gb ddr4 3000mhz ram 2tb wd black 1tb wd green

laptop:
Msi gs40
i7 6700hq 16gb ddr4 gtx 970m 128gb ssd 1tb ssd

3 minutes ago, TheGamingLanceYT said:

Hyperx Cloud 2

Don't need gaming headphones. Looking for something nicer and better sound quality.

Just now, Shyam Ganapathy said:

Don't need gaming headphones. Looking for something nicer and better sound quality.

us prices?

Im a Aussie gamer on half decent hardware......
desktop

i7 7700k 4.8ghz Msi ProCarbon Z270 gtx 1080 250gb samsung 850 evo 16gb ddr4 3000mhz ram 2tb wd black 1tb wd green

laptop:
Msi gs40
i7 6700hq 16gb ddr4 gtx 970m 128gb ssd 1tb ssd

The hd58x is a great pair of headphones if you can find a drop on massdrop for it. They are 150 but they are probably one of the best deals you can get on a pair of headphones. 

Just looked on massdrop website and it looks like they have a drop for the hd 58x right now and it ends in 18 hours. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Just looked on massdrop website and it looks like they have a drop for the hd 58x right now and it ends in 18 hours. 

Oh sorry, looking to get it during the black friday sales to save a few bucks. 

Depends on your environment and needs. Most headphones you find will have a great quality and comfort depending on your budget, but it would be more helpful if you specified what you want the headphones to do. Do they need to be noise canceling/Closed-Back, or do you plan to listen to them in quiet environment? In that case an Open-Back headphones would give the best audio quality.

2 minutes ago, Shyam Ganapathy said:

Oh sorry, looking to get it during the black friday sales to save a few bucks. 

These drop often.  You would probably be able to get them then.

6 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Depends on your environment and needs. Most headphones you find will have a great quality and comfort depending on your budget, but it would be more helpful if you specified what you want the headphones to do. Do they need to be noise canceling/Closed-Back, or do you plan to listen to them in quiet environment? In that case an Open-Back headphones would give the best audio quality.

Open-back should be fine. I'll be listening to them in a quiet room.

5 minutes ago, Javilen said:

These drop often.  You would probably be able to get them then.

Okay, if they are there when I am going to buy them I'll see. They are a little pricey though.

50 minutes ago, Shyam Ganapathy said:

Okay, if they are there when I am going to buy them I'll see. They are a little pricey though.

It's true that 150 is a good amount of money but these are supposed to replicate the sound of their 500 dollar pair of headphones so it's a very good deal. If you are interested I would look up some YouTube videos a out them to know more about them. They are widely know as one of the best value headphones on the market. 

20 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

It's true that 150 is a good amount of money but these are supposed to replicate the sound of their 500 dollar pair of headphones so it's a very good deal. If you are interested I would look up some YouTube videos a out them to know more about them. They are widely know as one of the best value headphones on the market. 

Yeah, I see. I'll try to squeeze that 50 bucks more into my budget. Any other suggestions?

Honestly, up your budget and wait for the HE4XX, HD6XX or HD58X to drop, I have the first two, and have read good things about the HD58X. I'd also like to add that I do have some 1k+ USD cans as well, but these MD badboys hold up well even against higher priced cans, that they are better? Nope, not to my ears anyway, but they certainly sound as good as, or even better, than many cans from 300USD to 500USD. As proof that I ain't lying about owning a couple of them, see below (the 4pin XLR Balanced cables chown here are third party ones I'd gotten from elsewhere, they're not standard cable that come with the cans):

55RsDZVh.jpg.94597535fa595889a90951da3a1bb956.jpg

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

If you're willing to buy from AliExpress and wait for shipping - SHP9500s popped up after being OOS for months and they're great headphones. I bought mine for $55, but I gladly would have paid triple for them. 

If you want closed - ATH-M40Xes... or if you want to go a route less traveled, find a pair of Monoprice Modern Retros and throw on a pair of Brainwav XL pads. Under a $60 investment and they have comical amounts of bass without the highs and mids being wonky.

i9 9900K @ 5.1 | AsRock Z390 Taichi | MSI GTX 1080 Ti | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-4133 | 1TB Muskin Pilot NVME | 1TB Samsung 860 Evo | 5TB Toshiba X300 | Fractal Design Meshify S2

i7 860 @ 2.8 | Advantech AIMB280 ITX | EVGA GTX 950 2GB  | 2GB Kingston DDR3-1333 | Hitachi 500GB | WD 320GB | Silverstone SFX-L | Silverstone RVZ01

On 11/11/2018 at 6:02 PM, Brooksie359 said:

They massdrop page has said that for a few weeks now.

1 hour ago, JabroniBaloney said:

They massdrop page has said that for a few weeks now.

That's strange. 

What about Beats+? I love it and makes me happy. Works wonderfully for me at least ?

On 11/13/2018 at 10:42 AM, sebastianshaw1 said:

What about Beats+? I love it and makes me happy. Works wonderfully for me at least ?

Pretty sure you shouldn 't reccomend beats on a high end audio fourm post. You might get hated on. But, I do have a pair of beats studio 2's and they were pretty crap sounding. Will probably just go with those massdrop headphones, but thanks!