Scripting to Application Development

InfiniteM

Does anyone have any good tips on learning to create apps in java?

I work as a (linux) ops engineer and write lots of scripts in ruby interacting with API's and parsing JSON, but i'm not really sure where to start with learning java or creating apps.

I have been interested in trying to learn how to create apps, I write lengthy scripts in mostly ruby and bash but have no clue how to transfer what i know to app development. 

Has any one been in a similar situation or has some tips? Also should i look for intermediate resources or complete beginner? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ?

Why Java? And do you mean web-apps, console-apps, desktop-apps, phone-apps or what? And for what OS, if it's not a web-app?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

If you already have experience I suggest you to go on SoloLearn and flush thru the Java course to get familiar with it.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Why Java? And do you mean web-apps, console-apps, desktop-apps, phone-apps or what? And for what OS, if it's not a web-app?

sorry i mean web apps, there is no particular preference on the language, java web apps are mostly what i support at work, so i have heard the most about java. 

3 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

If you already have experience I suggest you to go on SoloLearn and flush thru the Java course to get familiar with it.

Thanks, i'll take a look

1 hour ago, InfiniteM said:

sorry i mean web apps, there is no particular preference on the language, java web apps are mostly what i support at work, so i have heard the most about java. 

Are you sure you're not confusing Java with JavaScript? Because Java-based web apps are basically a dead market now outside corporations that use them for some reason or another.

46 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Are you sure you're not confusing Java with JavaScript? Because Java-based web apps are basically a dead market now outside corporations that use them for some reason or another.

I'm not too familiar with correct terminology as i'm not a dev, but they do use java for the backend with a javascript front end, i'm not sure what that is categorised as.

1 hour ago, InfiniteM said:

I'm not too familiar with correct terminology as i'm not a dev, but they do use java for the backend with a javascript front end, i'm not sure what that is categorised as.

Ok they are probably doing java web services in the back end and html + JavaScript front end but you should check with them.

As Yurizako mentioned Java web is pretty much dead and it's mostly either ASP.NET/JavaScript or PHP/JavaScript now.

35 minutes ago, Franck said:

Ok they are probably doing java web services in the back end and html + JavaScript front end but you should check with them.

As Yurizako mentioned Java web is pretty much dead and it's mostly either ASP.NET/JavaScript or PHP/JavaScript now.

Now shout out for node/angular|react?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 11/10/2018 at 1:50 PM, Franck said:

Back end web development in Java means mastering JavaEE(Java enterprise edition) it is the industry standard I believe. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 11/10/2018 at 2:26 PM, vorticalbox said:

Now shout out for node/angular|react?

Oh no. Java front end is totally dead. Applet has long being overtaken by JavaScript but severlets are still the industry standard. Java is the backbone of many corporate servers. 

Sudo make me a sandwich