How to build a diy server setup to host a website.

How to host a website on a diy server setup at home . A small new review website which may encounter very less network traffic. What should be minimum the system and internet requirements      

A raspberry pi 3 will do for website hosting.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Do you ask how to build a website host or you're just asking what kind of hardware you need to host ? Or both ?

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

and wtb internet  requirements I live in India internet speed and feasibility is below poor.

1 minute ago, voiha said:

Do you ask how to build a website host or you're just asking what kind of hardware you need to host ? Or both ?

Both 

if it's just for a website with nothing fancy.. just go to webhosting companies, if you dont expect massive traffic surges, there's some damn cheap options that'll do just fine.

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I would prefer a traditional computer for that matter, Raspberry don't use Windows 10 as we know it.

Just now, voiha said:

I would prefer a traditional computer for that matter, Raspberry don't use Windows 10 as we know it.

I am gonna use Linux mate

4 minutes ago, tkrsh_rage said:

and wtb internet  requirements I live in India internet speed and feasibility is below poor.

How long is a piece of string. For a small website any home broadband would be fine (assuming you don't get 1000 simultaneous viewers) however for something more advanced or for lots of simultaneous viewers you'd probably start to run into issues.

2 minutes ago, voiha said:

Why? What exactly is wrong with Debian for running a server?

As for setup, installing LAMP on Debian is incredibly well documented. The best thing is just Google it and follow one of the many guides. Assuming you're familiar with APT and Nano it's really not difficult to get Apache, mySQL & PHP (including PHPMyAdmin) running. For anything more advanced you'd need specific help.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, tkrsh_rage said:

Both 

https://www.hostingadvice.com/how-to/how-to-host-your-own-website/

Even the lowest end PC will be sufficient to host a website with little to no traffic. Your Internet speed should be somewhat decent for the end user to have a seamless transitions between the pages. Don't put a lot of PNG images try at first with JPG/JPEG or something similar in compression. There is a lot of YouTube video's and guides that can teach you the basics. If you want to do front end stuff, Google will be your best friend.

4 minutes ago, tkrsh_rage said:

I am gonna use Linux mate

You haven't specified what kind of OS you're going to use.

3 minutes ago, voiha said:

You haven't specified what kind of OS you're going to use.

Ubuntu? WIll it be fine?

6 minutes ago, tkrsh_rage said:

Ubuntu? WIll it be fine?

LAMP will run on anything though I believe CentOS is the preferred distro for running a webserver.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

LAMP will run on anything though I believe CentOS is the preferred distro for running a webserver.

I am familiar with Ubuntu I guess if it works I'll go with it.

1 minute ago, tkrsh_rage said:

I am familiar with Ubuntu I guess if it works I'll go with it.

Yeah, Ubuntu will do you just fine.

Just Google "how to install and configure LAMP on Ubuntu" and you'll find loads of information.

just buy an old pc on ebay that has at least 4c and 3ghz clock and run freenas on it. then there isn't much you cant do with it.

37 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if it's just for a website with nothing fancy.. just go to webhosting companies, if you dont expect massive traffic surges, there's some damn cheap options that'll do just fine.

SQUARESPACE EVERTHING

16 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

just buy an old pc on ebay that has at least 4c and 3ghz clock and run freenas on it. then there isn't much you cant do with it.

OP is asking for guidance on hosting a web server and you are suggesting him an operating system for network storage. Smart.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

37 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

SQUARESPACE EVERTHING

squarespace is probably a bit above OP's price and performance bracket.

1 hour ago, jj9987 said:

OP is asking for guidance on hosting a web server and you are suggesting him an operating system for network storage. Smart.

Exactly ?

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

squarespace is probably a bit above OP's price and performance bracket.

000webhost is 100% free, php, mysql, wordpress... and there is no ads

3 hours ago, Franck said:

000webhost is 100% free, php, mysql, wordpress... and there is no ads

I do currently not recommend 000webhost at the moment however, I used them for a long time, but their database has leaked multiple times resulting in my password going out into the public.

7 hours ago, tkrsh_rage said:

How to host a website on a diy server setup at home . A small new review website which may encounter very less network traffic. What should be minimum the system and internet requirements      

Look into MEAN as well, it is the more recent package compared to LAMP. Both have ups and downs although in the broad sense they do about the same. Google it :)

On 11/9/2018 at 12:03 PM, tkrsh_rage said:

snip

I feel like you guys are somewhat overcomplicating things

if you really want to host the site from home a rpi 3 running any linux with lamp stack should do just fine ( i use dietpi myself it has preconfigured installers for most common things)

but since you have a budget and internet may be a concern id say you're probably better off using a hosting provider 

my recommendation goes to firebase (owned by google)

https://firebase.google.com/pricing/

it's pretty easy to set up and to push updates to it once configured

Not sure why you wouldn't use a RPi3 or something similar? They run @ 5W vs a minimum of 50W for a SFF computer. They have plenty of power to run a website, they can use 32GB SD cards for storage giving it plenty of space....My RPi1 is a SSH jump host, has a small site for personal stuff, and does content filtering and it still idles at like 1%

But agree with yamileon, if internet is a problem - then go for a website hosting provider - paid ones can be as cheap as a couple of dollars a month

You can also get 12 months free with Amazon AWS on a t2.micro instance (assuming less than 15GB/month) if you want to do the whole OS install and configure your LAMP stack https://aws.amazon.com/free/

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA