Old 3rd gen Core i5 based system won't POST

azX_

General System Configuration

Intel Core i5 3470 (no overclocks)

Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3

ASUS P8Z77-M

Troubleshooting methods done

1. Removing the RAM.

Result : It powers on, no video and no memOK light.

2. Using different power supplies.

Results : Again, powers on, no video and no memOK light.

3. Reseating the CPU.

Results: see above.

4. removing the CMOS battery to reset to defaults 

Results: see above.

Additional information

this system was built on 2013, stopped working since last year due to a dead GPU. Multiple technicians recommended a power supply swap or motherboard swap. My friend didn't go with either.

He sent it to me, the original power supply is healthy, ram is also in working condition. It booted up previously, with memOK lights and able to boot to BIOS, however, after inserting the board into the case, it didn't boot up. removed the board from the case, sat it on a box and troubleshoot it again, results are no memOK lights, and just able to power on with no video.

So what happens when you add a graphics card? Still the same? While rare, the onboard graphics could also be defective/disabled despite CMOS resets.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I would try all the possible video outs, and make sure one of them didn't die. Also, if possible test all the components in a different board.

11 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

So what happens when you add a graphics card? Still the same? While rare, the onboard graphics could also be defective/disabled despite CMOS resets.

added a graphics card, still the same result, all video outs tested.

8 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

I would try all the possible video outs, and make sure one of them didn't die. Also, if possible test all the components in a different board.

all the components except the CPU has been tested, will try the 3470 on the h61 board

2 minutes ago, azX_ said:

all the components except the CPU has been tested, will try the 3470 on the h61 board

Good idea, but beware of a small catch: if that H61 board has never been updated in its life, it might not boot with the 3470. For 100% certainty, you'll need a sandy bridge CPU.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Wait so the problem came when you put the MoBo in the case? As when you take it out and test it you get a POST? Even with the GPU in? If that’s so, then there is something shorting the motherboard in the case. Check for spare metal or bents pieces. Maybe a crooked stand off or something stuck to the back of the motherboard

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Just now, azX_ said:

added a graphics card, still the same result, all video outs tested.

Don't H61 boards need a bios update to work with Ivy Bridge cpu's? 

Just now, Konrad_K said:

Don't H61 boards need a bios update to work with Ivy Bridge cpu's? 

the board in question has been updated so no need to worry

i'm gonna try reading the manual if memOK lights should light up if no dimms are installed

17 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Wait so the problem came when you put the MoBo in the case? As when you take it out and test it you get a POST? Even with the GPU in? If that’s so, then there is something shorting the motherboard in the case. Check for spare metal or bents pieces. Maybe a crooked stand off or something stuck to the back of the motherboard

yes, but when i removed it from the case, it still is the same

anyways, i tried a different processor, a core i5 3330 and it still wont post.