Quad core showing two cores

What’s up, first time creating an account and a topic on this forum.   So this might just be me being stupid or my computer has a problem.  My computer is an AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Proccessor yet my core count as viewed from task manager states that it has two cores.  I do see that it says 4 logical processors but to be honest I really don’t know what they are. I looked it up and saw that they are part of a core (correct me if I’m wrong) but I don’t think that that has much to do with my “Quad-Core” system.  Btw I did find this topic on other website but it did not help me so I decided to start one here. Thanks for the help.

image.jpg

the "cores" in the FX lineup are little funny. In a similar fashion to how Infinity Fabric joins Ryzen dies together, pairs of FX cores were joined at the hip, and shared Floating point units (FPUs). Some people consider them not real cores, and it seems windows would agree.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

the "cores" in the FX lineup are little funny. In a similar fashion to how Infinity Fabric joins Ryzen dies together, pairs of FX cores were joined at the hip, and shared Floating point units (FPUs). Some people consider them not real cores, and it seems windows would agree.

so it's SMT? or just some weird mumbo-jumbo

The only thing that's duplicated in a module is the integer execution unit, which is the shaded parts in green:

FX-Cores.jpg

These two integer execution units share the same "front-end", which is the stuff on the top half of the picture. So from a certain point of view, this is really just a physical core that can service two threads at once.

Just now, saksham said:

Not actually simultaneous multi threading, they are actually considered their own cores, they just share some resources. SMT is actually a lot better in my opinion, it acconmplishes what FX wishes it could have accomplished.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, saksham said:

AMD calls this Clustered Multithreading (CMT)

It's basically SMT but with the execution resources fixed, unlike in SMT where execution resources are flexible. So going back to that picture, if a thread uses three EX or AGen units and another thread uses one, then in CMT the more resource hungry thread will take longer because there's fewer execution units that it can use. But if the two pools of execution resources were combined, then in SMT both threads could run and complete at the same time.

Edited by M.Yurizaki

if you have the money, get ryzen. fx series is really not great to still be using. use an r3 1200 if you can afford it (upgrade the mobo as well). upgrading to ryzen 1200 would cost you about $200 including tax. you will get about speed double for the cpu. 

Alright so I just tried to read these comments and I just realised how little I know about any of this.  Tbh I barley understood any of what was said other than windows does not recognize it and my cpu might need an upgrade? So is there a way for windows to recognize it.  Also I got like a year until I can start upgrading my hardware.    Also Saksham are you talking about cores and what is mobo.  Thanks again

2 hours ago, Wolfang said:

Alright so I just tried to read these comments and I just realised how little I know about any of this.  Tbh I barley understood any of what was said other than windows does not recognize it and my cpu might need an upgrade? So is there a way for windows to recognize it.  Also I got like a year until I can start upgrading my hardware.    Also Saksham are you talking about cores and what is mobo.  Thanks again

mobo is motherboard.

On 11/1/2018 at 7:23 PM, saksham said:

use an r3 1200 if you can afford

Also my memory type is not compatible with that, my memory type is GDDR5.  

My Computer Overview:

Radeon Software Version - 18.5.1
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin
Graphics Chipset - Radeon(TM) RX 460 Graphics
Memory Size - 2048 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 1210 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 8 GB
CPU Type - AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor

I know its not the best or good but im just trying to work with it.  I did some more research and found out that my task manager is not supposed to show 4 core so rip that.  Any other suggestions because I do think that cpu is a big problem in my computer.