What do you think of "TechLinked"

corrado33

I've watched a few of the "TechLinked" videos and... I'm not impressed. The "casual" and off screen comments get old the and host just doesn't have the geek charm of linus. I don't understand what it's supposed to be? Is it news? Then why do they try to make it comical (and fail... miserably.) 

What do you guys think? 

33 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I've watched a few of the "TechLinked" videos and... I'm not impressed. The "casual" and off screen comments get old the and host just doesn't have the geek charm of linus. I don't understand what it's supposed to be? Is it news? Then why do they try to make it comical (and fail... miserably.) 

What do you guys think? 

All LMG channels are meant to provide both info and entertainment, no emphasis on one or the other so I'm not sure what you're expecting here. I also assume you never watched NCIX Tech Tips before they went bust?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

42 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

All LMG channels are meant to provide both info and entertainment, no emphasis on one or the other so I'm not sure what you're expecting here. I also assume you never watched NCIX Tech Tips before they went bust?

I strongly recommend against using LMG channels for information.

The information they provide is about as deep as the kiddy pool, a large portion of what they say is straight up wrong, with another large portion being varying degrees of incorrect statements.

Watch it for entertainment, but not information.

Watching it for information is like trying to learn programming by watching Silicon Valley, or study for your drivers license by watching Top Gear.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The information they provide is about as deep as the kiddy pool, a large portion of what they say is straight up wrong, with another large portion being varying degrees of incorrect statements.

Watching it for information is like trying to learn programming by watching Silicon Valley, or study for your drivers license by watching Top Gear.

If you're new to the entire PC world, techquickie is a good place to start. It's never a good idea to dive too deep from the get go, in my opinion. Learn the basics, then look further.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

If you're new to the entire PC world, techquickie is a good place to start. It's never a good idea to dive too deep from the get go, in my opinion. Learn the basics, then look further.

The problem is that even TechQuickie gets a lot of the basics wrong.

It is a very poor source of information, even for someone who is just starting out. In fact, I'd say that it is extra important that you don't use LMG channels for information if you are new to the field or subject, because then you won't even be able to tell what is right and what is wrong in Linus' videos.

Relearning something is harder than learning the right things to begin with.

17 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I mean, they're not ALL wrong. Their benchmarks for new stuff can't really BE wrong. Although I personally skip those videos because they're usually boring. "Hey look at this new product.... 8 million graphs later.... and that was the product, it's great."

Techlinked to me just seems like an attempt to make tech news funny while bashing all companies. It's like a shortened, semi-polished version of the WAN show. 

My favorite LTT videos are the ones where they do something stupid or creative. Or where they do nerdy stuff like setup their media server, or that new $40,000 computer linus is working on. I watched the entirety of the videos of linus rebuilding their servers many times. That stuff is cool. The reviews.... eh, not so much. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny and introduces tech news in a short video. Pretty sure it accomplishes what it's supposed to.

18 minutes ago, Magus said:

I'm gonna guess you'd be type say "You're generalizing" or "You're over-simplifying" to a lot of it. 

If that was the only issues then it'd be alright.

The problem is that the videos gets a lot of basic concepts completely and utterly wrong. I don't mean "they generalized it so that it's slightly inaccurate but the concept is the same". I mean they have no idea what they are talking about half the time and just make shit up to sound like they are knowledgeable.

In their MAC video they talk about how MAC addresses are used for NAT, which it isn't (at all). MAC addresses aren't used for that. Port numbers are. I don't think they got those two mixed up because they wanted to simply things. I think they got them mixed up because they don't understand what MAC addresses are used for, despite making an educational video about it. Nor do I think they understand how NAT works.

In their VPN video they say VPN tunnels can detect intrusions, and if they do they terminates the connection and then choose a different route which isn't compromised, which it doesn't (at all). VPNs doesn't do any routing decisions, so it can't choose different paths. VPNs doesn't terminate connections if it detects intrusions (which, by the way, it can't really detect except for packet tampering).

I wrote a bit more about it here but I think you get the point.

You have to actually understand the subject in order to generalize and over-simply. LinusTechTips/TechQuickie clearly don't understand the subjects they are making videos about and as a result they aren't simplifying things. They are straight up making shit up that they hope is somewhat correct.

The QT about MAC addresses is pure garbage. If you asked 100 newbies who just watched that video what MAC addresses are used for, nobody will give you an answer that is even close to the truth. However, if you showed them a video like the one I mentioned here, most would have a decent grasp of it.

On 3/26/2018 at 7:01 PM, LAwLz said:

Here is an example of a proper "techquickie", made by a well informed person.

This <6 minute video not only explains the information accurately, but it also goes over both IP addresses as well as MAC addresses, and explains why both are needed. Hell, it also goes over DNS slightly. It does this with simple examples and explanations which I think most if not all viewers in this thread can understand. 

This is the quality I expect from someone with millions of subscribers and a team of like 20 people working for him. Not some "let's read Wikipedia for 5 minutes and make shit up to fill in the blanks" video that currently gets posted on TechQuickie. 

(In before TechQuickie starts repackaging CBT nuggets)

I think sometimes they go on a little long with the kicks and giggles, but if they were super serious all the time they would just be like any of the other countless quick tech news series out there. (CNET, Verge, etc countless others...)

Although the heckler bit is quite unique, it is also quite annoying at times. There should be less heckler.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018