Tesla parts catalogue now available in postive moves in right to repair.

Hebdomad

Much like Apple, energy company Tesla hasn't made it easy for DIY folks to repair it's products. This has now changed as Tesla has released spare parts catalogue for all three of its current vehicle models (S, 3, X) with easier access to spare parts presumably to follow.

Tesla has been talking about getting on board with the “Right to Repair” and now they have taken an important first step in that direction by releasing their parts catalog for Model 3, Model S, Model X, and Roadster to the public.
It is starting to make its way into several state legislatures, but for vehicles, it’s currently only in place in Massachusetts, which is why it’s the only state where Tesla owners can register to access repair manuals, service documents, wiring diagrams, and part information.

While Tesla wasn’t part of the automaker lobbying group that made the deal with the repair shop association, it would have been surprising if the company remained alone in not providing the service.

Last year, then Tesla President Jon McNeill said that the automaker was working on opening their documentation.

https://electrek.co/2018/10/29/tesla-parts-catalog-model-3-model-s-model-x-roadster-public/

If you've followed the adventures of Rich Rebuilds on YouTube you'd know how difficult it is to get spare parts Tesla with wreckers and abandoned cars being the only real source of parts. A few business savvy types like EV West have even cashed in on the rarity of these parts by collecting wrecks and selling entire drivetrains for EV enthusiast.

It's yet to be seen how easy the process is to access these parts and manuals but it's great to see Tesla make progress when it comes to supplying spare parts and repairs manuals to independent workshops and DIY enthusiasts. 

Apple however will likely make it even more difficult to repair your own devices. If Apple ever ends up making a car as it's long been rumoured. Expect your Apple car to brick itself if you try to change a flat tire without an authorised Apple repair technician.

*edit*

It should also be noted that Tesla has been working on this for over a year. Tesla might only be a "start up" but it's also a billion dollar company with lots moving parts like legal, engineering, Elons Ego etc... Not only would they have to deal with a ever changing and upgrading models (Tesla doesn't do yearly refreshes but they throw in upgrades/production changes as soon as they can) but all the documentation would have to be signed off by a dozen of so people from all the different departments to make sure it's all 100% correct.

Main article referenced.

https://electrek.co/2018/10/29/tesla-parts-catalog-model-3-model-s-model-x-roadster-public/

Older article about opening parts and manuals to public

https://electrek.co/2017/01/30/tesla-opening-up-service-replacement-parts/

Tesla spare parts.

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/login

EV west parts store.

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=47

Rich Rebuilds YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfV0_wbjG8KJADuZT2ct4SA

NICE!

❤️ Tesla... my 3 Perf. is on order

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

this is huge, great to see, sad that it needed a new law to go trough for this to happen but still very good news

Skimmed it, pretty awesome.  Its got just about every damn part you can imagine.

Can hardly tell this is written by someone that doesn’t like Apple.

3 hours ago, cj09beira said:

this is huge, great to see, sad that it needed a new law to go trough for this to happen but still very good news

The law doesn’t require this. It was just about providing legal cover to bypass drm and such to repair your devices. A parts catalog isn’t related to that. 

Thats why companies like Apple and John Deere haven’t released similar catalogs. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

7 hours ago, Hebdomad said:

Tesla has released spare parts catalogue for all three of its current vehicle models (S, 3, X) with easier access to spare parts presumably to follow.

yes but those easily accessible parts are fucking expensive!

besides that, many people have said how easy it is to fix the vehicle itself, whether it be handles or locks. As for damaged controllers and damaged pcb parts, none of those easy fix guys says anything about that. If a mirror costs $500 for a single heated mirror, or a you have to buy an entire hub assembly that costs $1000 for a $50 bearing, then its not worth keeping past its end of lease date. Every truck is like that it seems. That is why I keep thinking about buying a brand new rig that has a toasted engine, keeping the frame and body, and installing deuces, arbs, coils, 4 linked, the whole shaaabang. So you need a bearing, junk yard or order from stealership.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Spoiler alert, so are the cars 

When they are driven off the lot, they become cheaper, then a few years later, pretty much worthless. Good for parts. The batteries are the gravy money! Everything else, is typical parting out job.

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

When they are driven off the lot, they become cheaper, then a few years later, pretty much worthless. Good for parts. The batteries are the gravy money! Everything else, is typical parting out job.

That can be said of every car though, just registering a car meaning it's now "used" even with less than 1000KMs on it can decrease the value up to 30%. Unless there is a really compelling reason to buy a car new there are far better options for 3 year old cars that have ended manufacturer's warranty, though that is getting less and less so now with warranties becoming less BS and lasting up to 8-10 years (with caveats).

Rip off first party replacement parts isn't unique to any one brand, they all do it. Parts costs of most European brands are egregious, example BMW FSR at $130 or $17 on ebay for a non genuine one that still works.

55 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That can be said of every car though, just registering a car meaning it's now "used" even with less than 1000KMs on it can decrease the value up to 30%. Unless there is a really compelling reason to buy a car new there are far better options for 3 year old cars that have ended manufacturer's warranty, though that is getting less and less so now with warranties becoming less BS and lasting up to 8-10 years (with caveats).

Rip off first party replacement parts isn't unique to any one brand, they all do it. Parts costs of most European brands are egregious, example BMW FSR at $130 or $17 on ebay for a non genuine one that still works.

For engine parts I wouldn't touch the cheap ebay stuff,   What I've had that failed within weeks if it wasn't DOA:  ignition coils, EGO, Gas stepper motor and TPS. What I've had work: spark plugs, starter motor and alternator.  The alternator was the same prices as the OEM part so in the end it was a convenience buy not a price buy.

Seriously I now stay away from many Ebay parts if I can.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

For engine parts I wouldn't touch the cheap ebay stuff,   What I've had that failed within weeks if it wasn't DOA:  ignition coils, EGO, Gas stepper motor and TPS. What I've had work: spark plugs, starter motor and alternator.  The alternator was the same prices as the OEM part so in the end it was a convenience buy not a price buy.

Seriously I now stay away from many Ebay parts if I can.

Yea some stuff is safe to buy, others aren't. FSR you have to be careful of, but legit E46 ones fault heaps anyway so yea, they all suck lol.

4 hours ago, Bensemus said:

The law doesn’t require this. It was just about providing legal cover to bypass drm and such to repair your devices. A parts catalog isn’t related to that. 

Thats why companies like Apple and John Deere haven’t released similar catalogs. 

Yeah the John Deere thing pisses me off.

It'd be one thing if that company have roving repair technicians, but no. You want to fix a doo-dad that broke on your $500,000 combine? You're gonna have to put it on a truck or drive it to us. Third party part you say? Well that isn't going to work because software.

Screw companies like that.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

7 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Can hardly tell this is written by someone that doesn’t like Apple.

They make some awesome hardware, their phones are simply the best, but they are the worst when it comes to right to repair and have a tendency to claim all invention/innovation as their own.

11 hours ago, leadeater said:

That can be said of every car though

It is true for every vehicle

True but you have to look at how much the branded car loses. That is why Toyota and Nissan do not lose much money.

Like I said, I wouldnt buy anything used that is as complex as a Tesla. I would only buy new if I did not mind losing money on the lease payments and I would never buy the Tesla out at the end of the term. The smart consumer will end up saving money in the long run. That is why I do like the Toyota Tundra's but I also need a one ton.

I would be very interested in seeing how much the Tesla parts cost. Keep in mind that shipping prices for those parts is going to be even more money spent. The thing I do when I look at buying a new or used vehicle is I go take a walk around a few large junk yards and see what their inventory is. I will even sit in a few that I am interested in, I will look inside the engine compartment and see how easy it is to get at the belt, or battery, or oil and stick, alternator, how much electronics are on the vehicle. Do not want to go to old, or go to new. Each person is different.

Driving a Tesla would friggin rock! Instant power, no power curve, torque from 0rpm all the way up to max rpm. It is just so pricey, it is still early so we will have to see where Elon goes. But do sign me up for a dozen whole battery packs please ;)

Tesla actually makes a healthy profit on every car sold.
The reasons Tesla has been making a loss all these years is because they've been investing in their money into manufacturing facilities for cars and batteries.
I'm also not sure what you mean about complex Canada EH. An electric vehicle is mechanically very simple with very few moving parts.
If you mean by the amount of computer systems crammed into your typical Tesla then yeah I can see where you are coming from.

I don't think we'll see an electric Corolla AE86 anytime soon. That kind of simplicity is only found in DIY conversions unfortunately.