Buyer Wants To Return My GPU

HelixEon

I sold a GTX 1050 on October 6, 2018 and now the buyer wants to return it. What should I do? The reason is as follows:

Reason for return

Doesn't work or defective

Comments

the board of the video card is burned and damaged

There's a picture he/she included.

https://imgur.com/a/3yT4BCM

Did you list it as not working? Was it working when you sent it?

Just now, Zumbuh said:

Did you list it as not working? Was it working when you sent it?

It was working before I sent it.

If you sold it in good condition, then its not your responsibility. If it was bought from the actual manufacturer, then yes, they would have to accept the return but since you are just selling it online to someone, just deny the return. 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

4 minutes ago, HelixEon said:

It was working before I sent it.

If it actually broke in shipping (which I doubt, I'd also check the S/N and see if it matches yours) then it's the shipping company's fault. 

3 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

If you sold it in good condition, then its not your responsibility. If it was bought from the actual manufacturer, then yes, they would have to accept the return but since you are just selling it online to someone, just deny the return. 

Plus this is second hand. If it worked when it arrived then its good. Theres no warrenty.

2 minutes ago, saksham said:

that just looks like vaseline on the back... doesnt *look* damaged... ask buyer for more details

Yeah, I thought this was suspicious because this doesn't look "burned."

11 minutes ago, HelixEon said:

I sold a GTX 1050 on October 6, 2018 and now the buyer wants to return it. What should I do? The reason is as follows:

Reason for return

Doesn't work or defective

Comments

the board of the video card is burned and damaged

There's a picture he/she included.

https://imgur.com/a/3yT4BCM

That just looks like thermal pad sweat, which is completely normal and doesn't affect functionality. I think the buyer is either naive and doesn't know this or they're trying to abuse the return system because they changed their mind and don't want to admit it. Do you have images of the card from before you sent it out to compare to?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Just now, HelixEon said:

Yeah, I thought this was suspicious because this doesn't look "burned."

if it was burned it would be matte black on the parts it was burned. Right?

1 minute ago, HelixEon said:

My only options are to either return or to accept the return.  RIP

You can call eBay about it. I listed a phone as not working very plain as day and when the person regretted it, they tried to complain it wasn't working when the problem was in the title. eBay denied his return the next day.

If you have proof of the card working before shipping, you have more of  a case than the buyer.

1 minute ago, HelixEon said:

My only options are to either return or to accept the return.  RIP

Never allow return on used items in the future. This would still allow customers to return if they recieved it doa.

Typical ebay scam, person buys the product and then asks for a refund or returns a broken product to you while keeping the working one.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You would know the state of the equipment sent to tell if it matches the picture. That said, it isn't unusual to have a product that doesn't work when it was sent in working condition.

Years ago I ordered a drive pulled from an office machine for a reasonable price. Seller had high ratings and the HDD was about 20 bucks cheaper so I thought why not. Arrived in okay condition, but it didn't work. Really hard to tell from the buyers perspective as it is from the seller.

Never sell on ebay. Period.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

I agree with Asand1.

Never sell on ebay...

I will go farther though and say never buy from ebay either.

THAT ALL SAID...

I could be wrong but that looks like the plastic packaging melted to the card so transport's fault not yours.

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards

Not selling on eBay would negate the existence for it. Dumb answer. 

Did you put that there are no returns on the item? Have detailed pictures of the item and serial number? Would normally end up an easy dispute. What’s the other guys rating like? Previous purchases?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

dont accept the return. He might already changed something from the card or due to mishandling, he/she broke something and wants to put the blame on you.

Ryzen 5 1600 | Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 | Team Elite TForce Delta RGB 2x8 16GB 3200mhz | Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB AORUS | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | 2 1TB WD Blue | Wester Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB | SeaSonic M12II 520W 80+ Bronze | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Led Turbo | ASUS VG248QE | Rakk Kimat XT | Logitech G502 HERO | Massdrop x AKG M220 Pro | V8 Soundcard | BM800 Condenser Mic | Logitech C310

Lol this is made by EVGA. EVGA uses a greasy looking thermal or lubrication liquid that can spread on the card when moved it's not harmful to anything and does not effect it's performance. If the card isn't working this isn't the reason 

16 hours ago, kingknightrider said:

I agree with Asand1.

Never sell on ebay...

I will go farther though and say never buy from ebay either.

THAT ALL SAID...

I could be wrong but that looks like the plastic packaging melted to the card so transport's fault not yours.

but plastic is not conductive so it should be a problem anyway

11 hours ago, saksham said:

but plastic is not conductive so it should be a problem anyway

Exactly.

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards