Second hand mining card worth it

Shally
5 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

When you have an $1100 electric bill, you wont be overclocking. People who don't know anything just make that assumption for some reason. If it doesn't increase the hashrate and isn't worth the cost, it isn't being done.

Well I'll be picking this up anyways, it's as cheap as I can get it from Ireland and cheaper than any second hand 1070ti card I can find. I'll keep this thread updated when I get it.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

How "cheap" is the 1070Ti? And no, forget about buying it. If it gets broken, you might not have a leg to stand on. So bye bye mined shit and your earned money. Sellers tries to think of nice words you're getting happy with. Let the miners choke in their GPU's.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

So much shittalk about mining cards without a proper explanation to back them up. They just say that all the miners OC the cards and its really really really really really bad, without anything backing them up. They most likely dont know what exactly it is, what "wears" out the card. Fine, the fans might've taken a hit, but honestly? Thats about it. 

A friend of mine built his first PC 4.5 years ago, and about 1 month ago we found out that he never put any thermal paste on the IHS, so his CPU has been running at 100° for 4.4 years and it hasnt really affected the performance 1 bit. I even OC'd his old 4790k by 400mhz without any trouble whatsoever. 

I bought two mining cards, 1080 Ti ROG Strix OC cards. He was honest and told me he OC'd them 80 core clock and 130 memory. Been running like that for 3-4 months. 

I got unlucky with one of the cards, it died after being in use for 15 minutes. The other 1 works perfectly fine. It stays at 25-30° idle, and about 60° while playing games. Gets about 1975-2050mhz self boosted. OC profile is selected in the GPU Tweak II. 

As for the card that died, I'm just lucky I live in Norway. I just sent an e-mail to the shop that he purchased the mining cards from, and they gave me and option to either replace the card with a brand new 1080 Ti ROG Strix OC, zero cost, or I could choose different card and pay the difference. Got myself a 2080 Sea Hawk X, super good deal for me. :D  

I've even bought a brand new card once 2-3 years ago, and it died after couple of hours of use. It happens. We dont live in a perfect world.

What is it exactly that wears out when you OC them, or overvolt them? Do the solders get bad? Does the chip simply wear out? Can anyone who knows exactly how this works explain?

Sry for the pissed off attitude of mine. It's just annoying that some plebs just comment and say that mining cards are trash without them knowing exactly why. They just heard it from someone else and just assume that they are correct. 

24 minutes ago, Dversity said:

So much shittalk about mining cards without a proper explanation to back them up. They just say that all the miners OC the cards and its really really really really really bad, without anything backing them up. They most likely dont know what exactly it is, what "wears" out the card. Fine, the fans might've taken a hit, but honestly? Thats about it. 

A friend of mine built his first PC 4.5 years ago, and about 1 month ago we found out that he never put any thermal paste on the IHS, so his CPU has been running at 100° for 4.4 years and it hasnt really affected the performance 1 bit. I even OC'd his old 4790k by 400mhz without any trouble whatsoever. 

I bought two mining cards, 1080 Ti ROG Strix OC cards. He was honest and told me he OC'd them 80 core clock and 130 memory. Been running like that for 3-4 months. 

I got unlucky with one of the cards, it died after being in use for 15 minutes. The other 1 works perfectly fine. It stays at 25-30° idle, and about 60° while playing games. Gets about 1975-2050mhz self boosted. OC profile is selected in the GPU Tweak II. 

As for the card that died, I'm just lucky I live in Norway. I just sent an e-mail to the shop that he purchased the mining cards from, and they gave me and option to either replace the card with a brand new 1080 Ti ROG Strix OC, zero cost, or I could choose different card and pay the difference. Got myself a 2080 Sea Hawk X, super good deal for me. :D  

I've even bought a brand new card once 2-3 years ago, and it died after couple of hours of use. It happens. We dont live in a perfect world.

What is it exactly that wears out when you OC them, or overvolt them? Do the solders get bad? Does the chip simply wear out? Can anyone who knows exactly how this works explain?

Sry for the pissed off attitude of mine. It's just annoying that some plebs just comment and say that mining cards are trash without them knowing exactly why. They just heard it from someone else and just assume that they are correct. 

Good story bro. You live in Norway but what about the other countries? Some countries are shit and doesn't give a 1080Ti for free at zero cost. And was there even the 4790K 4,5 years ago? The Haswell refresh came some months after and when I  got my 4770 4,5 years ago, there were no 4790K. You already said it: you're just lucky you live in Norway.

The problem is not only the miners overclocking the GPU's but how they treat them. 24/7 running is just too much and if you buy a used GPU, you may end up with a broken one and having the chance to have bad luck. In some circustamces you are left without anything and money lost. No, I don't gamble on used GPU's.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

28 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Good story bro. You live in Norway but what about the other countries? Some countries are shit and doesn't give a 1080Ti for free at zero cost. And was there even the 4790K 4,5 years ago? The Haswell refresh came some months after and when I  got my 4770 4,5 years ago, there were no 4790K. You already said it: you're just lucky you live in Norway.

The problem is not only the miners overclocking the GPU's but how they treat them. 24/7 running is just too much and if you buy a used GPU, you may end up with a broken one and having the chance to have bad luck. In some circustamces you are left without anything and money lost. No, I don't gamble on used GPU's.

How does running 24/7 damage the gpu? Please do explain instead of just saying stuff. Fine, it might've been 4 years. but still it didnt damage 1 bit of the cpu. 

Just now, Dversity said:

How does running 24/7 damage the gpu? Please do explain instead of just saying stuff. 

It can shorten the lifespan of the fans depending sleeve or ball bearings. There are a certain amount of people that doesn't know how to replace the fans or due to age, they could be sold out.

DAC/AMPs:

4 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

It can shorten the lifespan of the fans depending sleeve or ball bearings. There are a certain amount of people that doesn't know how to replace the fans or due to age, they could be sold out.

Also saying miners treat their expensive brand new cards worse than gamers? highly doubt it. This is just assuming stuff once again. Love it.

Fans are way more robust than you actually think. Its so damn rare I have to swap out any fans out of our server park at work, and they spin ALOT faster than miner gpu card fans. Many of our fans spin at 9000rpm constantly for 1-2 years++. 

13 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

He mentioned that above, he's asking about the actual PCB of the GPU itself, and ofc the GPU chip

5 minutes ago, Dversity said:

Also saying miners treat their expensive brand new cards worse than gamers? highly doubt it. This is just assuming stuff once again. Love it.

Fans are way more robust than you actually think. Its so damn rare I have to swap out any fans out of our server park at work, and they spin ALOT faster than miner gpu card fans. Many of our fans spin at 9000rpm constantly for 1-2 years++. 

I know cards that are from miners are a risk. I've had a miner card in the past that started to die, but I still got 2 years use before I let it go. 

I only trust this seller due to his selling history on ebay. Exactly a year ago he sold his 970, which was also labeled as miner card and the buyer of that card left a review saying "Works perfect, overclocked and stable so far" so I presume he sold that card to upgrade to the 10 series. 

I do have a 30 day guarantee, and I told him I would be stress testing it to test it's okay and he reassured me and said if it under performs in anyways don't hesitate for a refund.

I understand I'm taking a risk, and all I want is it two last 18 months when I get a full-time job as a developer to upgrade then.

Just now, Dversity said:

I am a gamer and I treat my GPU's with a lot of care. I constantly keep an eye on the temps. Have they gotten hotter, time to clean it.

and it's not like miners have been treating their GPU's like some brainless and violent neanderthals lol.

Which GPU fans does 9000rpm? Is that a fighter jet fans?  Love it when people say their GPU goes OVER 9000!!!!!! constantly 1-2 years++.

Dude, you are comparing apples to pears...

Either way, if shit gets broken, bye bye GPU and bye bye money.

Ordered from a webstore? Return it within two weeks or one month or RMA it if longer and within warranty. And it also depends where you buy it.

How anyone treats their stuff differs from person and I would buy a used CPU without problem. But GPU? Nope.

And it depends on which place you buy used GPU's like @KendoSapion said.

DAC/AMPs:

1 minute ago, KendoSapion said:

I know cards that are from miners are a risk. I've had a miner card in the past that started to die, but I still got 2 years use before I let it go. 

I only trust this seller due to his selling history on ebay. Exactly a year ago he sold his 970, which was also labeled as miner card and the buyer of that card left a review saying "Works perfect, overclocked and stable so far" so I presume he sold that card to upgrade to the 10 series. 

I do have a 30 day guarantee, and I told him I would be stress testing it to test it's okay and he reassured me and said if it under performs in anyways don't hesitate for a refund.

I understand I'm taking a risk, and all I want is it two last 18 months when I get a full-time job as a developer to upgrade then.

I'd say go for it, if you feel that he's a honest dude. The guy I bought 1080 ti from also offered me refund before I called the shop to ask for a replacement. 

4 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

That one is perfectly understandable and got no problem with that. However, I'd like to keep my GPU for atleast 4 years before I want to upgrade.

After 4,5 years of using my GTX780, it was time to upgrade to 1080Ti.

DAC/AMPs:

1 minute ago, Dversity said:

I'd say go for it, if you feel that he's a honest dude. The guy I bought 1080 ti from also offered me refund before I called the shop to ask for a replacement. 

Also the fact that he isn't selling 10's of these cards and it's just the one has led me to believe he probably kept an eye out for it, maybe I'm wrong.

Just now, CTR640 said:

That one is perfectly understandable and got no problem with that. However, I'd like to keep my GPU for atleast 4 years before I want to upgrade.

After 4,5 years of using my GTX780, it was time to upgrade to 1080Ti.

Honestly I'd be the same but I can't afford the best of the best so for now I have to settle for pretty close

3 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

Also the fact that he isn't selling 10's of these cards and it's just the one has led me to believe he probably kept an eye out for it, maybe I'm wrong.

Honestly I'd be the same but I can't afford the best of the best so for now I have to settle for pretty close

Yes, you might be wrong, but you might not, its always a risk to buy used stuff online. But it isnt safer to buy a GPU that has been allegedly used just for gaming. Atleast the guys who say it has been used for mining are honest. They could've all just lied and say that they never OC'd it, never used it for mining etc. 

2 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

Fair enough.

DAC/AMPs:

Just now, Dversity said:

Yes, you might be wrong, but you might not, its always a risk to buy used stuff online. But it isnt safer to buy a GPU that has been allegedly used just for gaming. Atleast the guys who say it has been used for mining are honest. They could all just lie and say that they never OC'd it, never used it for mining etc. 

It's not safer indeed if only used for gaming. It's that only one part I don't take the risk.

Any other hardware are not that much of a concern.

DAC/AMPs:

18 hours ago, KendoSapion said:

Hey guys, I found a  cheap 1070 ti and was going to pick it up. The guy selling it said this:
"It was used for some mining, but it wasn’t overclocked, in fact when mining it was underclocked, loads, to only 60% of its capacity, and the card temperature was always in the 50s with the fans barely starting to spin. It was never overclocked and always stayed very cool and quiet.
What do you guys think? 

Is it an Inno 3d? Cause i m thinking you re buying from the same seller as me two months ago only it was a 1070 for me. I would say go for it.

1 hour ago, Settlerteo said:

Is it an Inno 3d? Cause i m thinking you re buying from the same seller as me two months ago only it was a 1070 for me. I would say go for it.

Nope ROG Strix, super clean

12 hours ago, KendoSapion said:

Well I'll be picking this up anyways, it's as cheap as I can get it from Ireland and cheaper than any second hand 1070ti card I can find. I'll keep this thread updated when I get it.

Something I always do when I get a new to me card or new in general, is test it but watch the temps. Then I take it apart and add new tim. Then run the same tests. Older cards will always benefit from this, especially companies that apply poor quality tim. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

11 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Something I always do when I get a new to me card or new in general, is test it but watch the temps. Then I take it apart and add new tim. Then run the same tests. Older cards will always benefit from this, especially companies that apply poor quality tim. 

Thanks for the advice

The 1070 ti has only been out a year, so theres the fact it hasnt been run that long. 

I guess it depends on how much u can save. If its massively cheaper, go for it. If its just a bit cheaper id be more hesitant. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

I have updates here:

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:30 PM, CTR640 said:

The 4790k was released at the beginning of June 2014. Almost 4.5 years ago.

On 10/22/2018 at 7:18 PM, Radium_Angel said:

There are tons of threads on this subject, with as many opinions.

I wouldn't buy one, you assume he's telling the truth, and have no way of knowing.

I'd pass, unless you like gambling.

basically don't buy pre-owned graphics cards...FTFY 

5 minutes ago, Ironwhale2009 said:

basically don't buy pre-owned graphics cards...FTFY 

My update would prove otherwise.