Second hand mining card worth it

Shally

Hey guys, I found a  cheap 1070 ti and was going to pick it up. The guy selling it said this:

"It was used for some mining, but it wasn’t overclocked, in fact when mining it was underclocked, loads, to only 60% of its capacity, and the card temperature was always in the 50s with the fans barely starting to spin. It was never overclocked and always stayed very cool and quiet.

I wouldn’t worry about it, especially with these cards, they are so robustly made and have such a ridiculously long life span. It has been treated with a lot of care :)"

What do you guys think? 

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

2 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

What do you guys think? 

There are tons of threads on this subject, with as many opinions.

I wouldn't buy one, you assume he's telling the truth, and have no way of knowing.

I'd pass, unless you like gambling.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

Hey guys, I found a  cheap 1070 ti and was going to pick it up. The guy selling it said this:

"It was used for some mining, but it wasn’t overclocked, in fact when mining it was underclocked, loads, to only 60% of its capacity, and the card temperature was always in the 50s with the fans barely starting to spin. It was never overclocked and always stayed very cool and quiet.

I wouldn’t worry about it, especially with these cards, they are so robustly made and have such a ridiculously long life span. It has been treated with a lot of care :)"

What do you guys think? 

honestly, cards used for mining arent a bad investments.

Miners have a vested interest in the longevity of their gear.  and so overvolting and overclocking and running them at 1000000 degrees is probably not the game plan.

If it has the stock BIOS, its probably fine.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

There are tons of threads on this subject, with as many opinions.

I wouldn't buy one, you assume he's telling the truth, and have no way of knowing.

I'd pass, unless you like gambling.

I'll have 30 days return, might do some bench marks and testing to see if anything like artefacting occurs

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

What cooler? Doesn’t really matter if it was over clocked or underclocked. Temps and clean power are the concern. 

It appears miners take better care of equipment compared to the average user. 

If its a good deal, there’s no reason not too. Have two used 1080’s myself. Didn’t die, don’t see them doing so either any time soon. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

miners who don't shut up about how they didn't overclock, definitely overclocked.

He said he undervolted it to 60%, so it's safe to assume he ran it 24/7 at 140% voltage, 100% fan spin, and 90c

11 minutes ago, Derrk said:

miners who don't shut up about how they didn't overclock, definitely overclocked.

He said he undervolted it to 60%, so it's safe to assume he ran it 24/7 at 140% voltage, 100% fan spin, and 90c

or, this is nuts i know, he undertook his mining venture with the intent to sell at a later date and acted accordingly.

lets say you buy a new car, KNOWING you are going to sell it for as much as you can get in about 3 years after youve put 200K miles on it. would you not take the best care of that vehicle you can in order to get the best price when you go to sell?

You assume that every miner just went ham running their gear at the maximum possible frequency (there are a lot of problems with doing this while mining i wont get into) all the time.  while i agree, there are a few who probably did/do this.  Many look at the mining thing as an investment, its a calculated decision and all the factors are considered and planned for.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

4 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

lets say you buy a new car, KNOWING you are going to sell it for as much as you can get in about 3 years after youve put 200K miles on it. would you not take the best care of that vehicle you can in order to get the best price when you go to sell?

who drives almost 70k miles/year

4 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

who's gonna buy a 3 year old car with 200k miles on it?

5 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

or, this is nuts i know, he undertook his mining venture with the intent to sell at a later date and acted accordingly.

You assume that every miner just went ham running their gear at the maximum possible frequency (there are a lot of problems with doing this while mining i wont get into) all the time.  while i agree, there are a few who probably did/do this.  Many look at the mining thing as an investment, its a calculated decision and all the factors are considered and planned for.

Or maybe they new they were going to sell it after a short time and didn't care about the longevity of the card. The 1070ti came out 1 year ago so they haven't had the card for that long and winter is coming and they are selling. It makes no sense as it's more profitable in the winter. I wouldn't trust it the. 

5 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

while i agree, there are a few who probably did/do this.

i dont think the space station could have flown higher over your head

guys , every sport bike owner goes the speed limit , signals properly , never does burnouts , and never pops wheelies

to do so would be illogical and detrimental to their health and safety and finances

None of which would relate to this equipment.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Told you you'd get a lot of opinions.

One thing most people overlook is this:

You *assume* he knew what he was doing.

Maybe he did....maybe he didn't.

If you like to gamble then go for it. Me? I'll spend my cash on solid gear. I don't gamble...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, KendoSapion said:

What do you guys think? 

I wont take it. The hidden truth and random failure are there waiting to happen like a time bomb for you to have a bad day and waste your time deal with the problems. For me any used electronics, especially priced stuff, isn't worth to get..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

53 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

None of which would relate to this equipment.

i was using an imperfect analogy.  And basing my argument based off of things that people around me that mine have done.

apparently my opinion is bad and i should feel bad.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

Just now, MedievalMatt said:

i was using an imperfect analogy.  And basing my argument based off of things that people around me that mine have done.

apparently my opinion is bad and i should feel bad.

Its all the same to me. Just trying to use an analogy for people who barely understand pc  equipment about as much as they do cars just wont work.

People on here everyday killing parts and yet miners can go years with 10 times the mount of stuff people on here will ever get and only has something like a psu fail or a card get to hot because of some crap cooler design.

Just to many youtube parrots to make a compelling argument. Which is why I stick to used is used. Its case by case and always will be.

3 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Its all the same to me. Just trying to use an analogy for people who barely understand pc  equipment about as much as they do cars just wont work.

People on here everyday killing parts and yet miners can go years with 10 times the mount of stuff people on here will ever get and only has something like a psu fail or a card get to hot because of some crap cooler design.

Just to many youtube parrots to make a compelling argument. Which is why I stick to used is used. Its case by case and always will be.

Completely agree, any used part is a risk.  but you shouldnt run for the hills because a part was used for X purpose.  gaming is just as taxing, maybe more so, on a GPU than mining is.  and if your buying a GPU, chances are you have some graphics youd like to process.

That makes it seem like my 1070 which was bought when the 10 series launched and gamed on daily since then is better than a 1070 of the same age thats has been mined on for the same amount of time.  I dont think that statement holds true most of the time.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

3 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

Completely agree, any used part is a risk.  but you shouldnt run for the hills because a part was used for X purpose.  gaming is just as taxing, maybe more so, on a GPU than mining is.  and if your buying a GPU, chances are you have some graphics youd like to process.

That makes it seem like my 1070 which was bought when the 10 series launched and gamed on daily since then is better than a 1070 of the same age thats has been mined on for the same amount of time.  I dont think that statement holds true most of the time.

Gaming is much worse. More often than not, people are trying to push the clocks as high as they can go, or just set it and forget it while letting them bake running hot, or as people say 80+c is fine. Opposed to several cards being ran with much less power/voltage and in turn heat

My keplers have spent just as much time being pushed to the max as some of my 1080's have spent being mined on. None have failed. People say it like its gonna die once it gets in your hands, if that's the case why aren't all of the mining cards dying? They shouldn't be able to mine at the rate people think they fail. Seems as though they don't want to admit to their own ignorance and just blame and parrot someone else. Pretty much what the entire 10 series has turned to. Like cards being used 24/7 is somehow new, along with buying used cards.

If it works and is clean i wotuld.

i picked up a Founders 1080, clean but it was miner.... 

I can OC it to 215/500 and it runs flawless. 7200 Timespy Extreme w a 4770, highest gpu temp has peaked at 67 C once... Like clockwork, the temp profiles repeat.  Nice ramp and curve plateau, recovery, with a few degrees heatsoak... Wash, rince, Repeat.

It was just for fun, I am not planning on running it that agressively.  The stock boost alone is great AF...

I'm just saying my experience with used mined cards 2 times now has been fine. If it looks good, its clean, doesn't have visible connector wear, scratches, mouting marks on pci, and io.... Vhances are its ok...

Top 100 starts at 7240.... I just couldnt  squeeze 40 ex points to crack the leaderboard last night.

All Thread Rippers and X models.... I may throw together a system with w 6700K i have ready just to pop in there.

Also how much $? My 1080 was $300.

Also all of these hypothetical car senerios are BS. Lol rentals a different story.

Everyone has a side hustle.  I build cars too knowing ill sell them. No i don't beat the shit out of it... The opposite. Ill upgrade efficiently and tune... Enjoy the vehicle and make it better.

Some miners throw their shit in a pile. Some log and don't misuse the hardware knowing it has residual value. 

Ask for logs, look at the set up and rig if local, make a call.

Lowball! Then you can be stoked like me...

8 hours ago, Derrk said:

No, most who say this are probably miners who know what they're doing. Miners are in it to make money and you dont make money overclocking. Increases in clock speed results in an exponential increase in power consumption, thus the undervolting. It makes much more sense to get 50% performance at 25% of the power cost, rather than 110% performance at 250% of the cost(not real numbers). It would make absolutely zero sense to overclock for mining unless you are getting your power for free.

When you have an $1100 electric bill, you wont be overclocking. People who don't know anything just make that assumption for some reason. If it doesn't increase the hashrate and isn't worth the cost, it isn't being done.

12 minutes ago, swordsm3n said:

No, most who say this are probably miners who know what they're doing. Miners are in it to make money and you dont make money overclocking. Increases in clock speed results in an exponential increase in power consumption, thus the undervolting. It makes much more sense to get 50% performance at 25% of the power cost, rather than 110% performance at 250% of the cost(not real numbers). It would make absolutely zero sense to overclock for mining unless you are getting your power for free.