Liquid Metal Inspiron 15 7000 gaming 7567

Dimondminer11

Would it be worthwhile to liquid metal my laptop as I have overclocked GPU? And GPU before overclock got up to its 74C threshold and thermal throttles.

1 minute ago, Dimondminer11 said:

Would it be worthwhile to liquid metal my laptop as I have overclocked GPU? And GPU before overclock got up to its 74C threshold and thermal throttles.

Sure. Just be very careful not to let the liquid metal seep out from under the heatpipes and make contact with other parts around the GPU. Put electrical tape all around the GPU die before applying the liquid metal.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

14 minutes ago, Dimondminer11 said:

i agree with @Phentos you could get away with a better thermal paste like kryonaut from thermal grizlly and do a thorough cleaning.

Just use a high quality thermal paste, I did it on my XPS and dropped temps by 10c with some kryonaut.

Btw you haven't actually overclocked your GPU you just applied a core and memory frequency offset because they're quite conservative by default, the voltage and power draw is exactly the same, so there'll be no extra heat.

14 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

there'll be no extra heat

Well no... a higher clock speed means more clocks per second, aka more transistors firing per second, each firing of which creates more heat. So yeah even if it’s not overvolted it can still make more heat

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

3 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

Well no... a higher clock speed means more clocks per second, aka more transistors firing per second, each firing of which creates more heat. So yeah even if it’s not overvolted it can still make more heat

Proof? I'm pretty sure if I drop my CPU clocks in half and keep the voltages the same I will draw the same power and subsequently produce the same heat.

6 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

Proof? I'm pretty sure if I drop my CPU clocks in half and keep the voltages the same I will draw the same power and subsequently produce the same heat.

I’m the one that based my answer in fact so you’re the one that should be providing proof...

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_power_dissipation

TLDR for those who care voltage will move the heat much more than frequency but they both have an impact in general 

P = cFV^2

P = Power 
c = capacitance
F = Frequency
V = Voltage

more info at : https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/effect-of-temperature-on-power-consumption-with-the-i7-2600k.2200205/

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 12:08 AM, bebejapes said:

i agree with @Phentos you could get away with a better thermal paste like kryonaut from thermal grizlly and do a thorough cleaning.

Well the thing is is that it doesn't need cleaning. There is virtually no dust (except for on dust filters on bottom vents) I just need better heat dissipation.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok there was dust and the paste was just paste and not liquid metal. Improved thermals by a fair bit and the computer is overall cooler.

26 minutes ago, Dimondminer11 said:

Ok there was dust and the paste was just paste and not liquid metal. Improved thermals by a fair bit and the computer is overall cooler.

how did you find the dust?

Tore down the entire system down to its core components. Put it back together and it worked first try! :D First time thats happened with me and a laptop that happens to be worth more than an iphone XR. Now it takes at least twice as long to heat up to REALLY HOT temps.

5 minutes ago, Dimondminer11 said:

Tore down the entire system down to its core components. Put it back together and it worked first try! :D First time thats happened with me and a laptop that happens to be worth more than an iphone XR. Now it takes at least twice as long to heat up to REALLY HOT temps.

well you can watercool it later jsut for the lols

Just now, Dimondminer11 said:

Do WHAT?!?!?! DA FUC

water cool for the lols. hahaha just kidding.

Just now, Dimondminer11 said:

Would be sick tho. Kinda like that $9k laptop that has an I9 cpu in it

true but at that point on its bigger than that predator laptop that looks like a drone strike mobile command centre.

Just now, bebejapes said:

true but at that point on its bigger than that predator laptop that looks like a drone strike mobile command centre.

XD

On 11/17/2018 at 1:28 AM, bebejapes said:

water cool for the lols. hahaha just kidding.

Welllll..... You COULD jerry rig something up for water cooling but then it would just be a desktop at that point. lol

6 hours ago, Dimondminer11 said:

And laptops need everything to be connected for them to work for some dumb reason.

its a portable desktop.