How powerful is the Switch?

Paddi01

In terms of performance, is it comparable to the 8th gen consoles PS4 and Xbox One?

Or more like Xbox360?

The switch is even less graphically capable than the Wii U. Its tegra chip is designed to do very little, and you can refer to switch versions of popular sports games to see the stunning difference. It does a great job of what it's supposed to do, so I can't knock it for being a weak GPU.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

A bit head of 7th gen iirc.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, 79wjd said:

A bit head of 7th gen iirc.

7th gen what?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

7th gen what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh_generation_of_video_game_consoles

PS3/360 (technically OG Wii too).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Sounds about right. I thought you meant 7th gen Intel, and I was taken aback by how much more powerful my switch ought to be

Primary PC:

23 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The switch is even less graphically capable than the Wii U. Its tegra chip is designed to do very little, and you can refer to switch versions of popular sports games to see the stunning difference. It does a great job of what it's supposed to do, so I can't knock it for being a weak GPU.

Is it comparable by teraflops? the Switch has 1 teraflop iirc.

15 minutes ago, Paddi01 said:

Is it comparable by teraflops? the Switch has 1 teraflop iirc.

No, teraflops doesn't really say much unless the tasks you're running are specifically computing and number crunching.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The Tegra SoC in the Switch is a Maxwell 2 based GPU with 256 shaders. It's hard to say how to compare this GPU to something in PC space since no other GPU in comes close to matching these specs. Though Wikipedia lists it as having a processing power of about 393 GFLOPS when docked. 157-196 GFLOPS undocked.

Compared to the GPU in the WiiU which Wikipedia says is about 176-356 GFLOPS. So in terms of raw performance, you could call that about the same. Though considering the technology differences, one could argue the Tegra SoC can produce better graphical quality.

I mean, the PSVita produces visuals of comparable quality to the PS3 and it uses a less powerful GPU in terms of raw performance compared to the PS3's RSX.

But if you just want an answer, the Switch is about as powerful as the WiiU graphically. CPU wise it's definitely better.

Thats one thing I've always found Nintendo's hardware to be interesting to look at.  Theres so many hidden secrets and tricks with it kinda especially with things like the SNES's FX chip and mode 7.  Then theres the sometimes odd designs like with the Gamecube which in its own right was a little beast hardware wise at the time.

31 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

the Gamecube which in its own right was a little beast hardware wise at the time.

Absolutely agree, though the original Xbox was a bit more powerful but it still was a beast.

16 hours ago, Paddi01 said:

Absolutely agree, though the original Xbox was a bit more powerful but it still was a beast.

Yeah the Xbox also had the built in Hard Drive I do think that Microsoft took a hefty loss per unit though. 

On 10/23/2018 at 2:36 PM, LordOTaco said:

It does have more RAM and a better CPU than the Wii U though.  The Wii U had this weird Power PC "tri-core" setup and it really shows its limits in Bayonetta 2 and BoTW

The Power PC isn't weird, also 3 Core isn't.
The Xbox 360 also had a tri core Power PC based and to make matters worse, it was in order as well (though that makes the 360 rather safe from Meltdown and spectre ;))

The question is what version of Power PC was used. People say that it was the same version as in the Gamecube, just clocked at 1,27GHz or so. Wich might be quite slow.

The XBoc 360 had its CPU clocked at 3,2GHz

On 10/23/2018 at 8:57 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

I mean, the PSVita produces visuals of comparable quality to the PS3 and it uses a less powerful GPU in terms of raw performance compared to the PS3's RSX.

nVidia RSX is nVidia CineFX based, though people claim its the last iteration (G7x) but they still have to fight with pipelinestalls IIRC when texturing. Because TMUs and Shaders use the same pipeline. 
That's one of the reason those old nVidia nV30-4x and G7x get destroyed by the comparable ATi Graphics cards because they always had shader independent from the texturing units...

So its not that hard to be better than a CineFX chip...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 10/20/2018 at 2:13 AM, RuZoG said:

It's literally the same chip Tegra X1 that is in NVIDIA shield. It's capable for casual games and if hacked, great for emulation. 

My 700 hours in Breath of the Wild were casual gaming?

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.