Best External Dac to Improve Sound Quality

TheNinjaNextDor

Get the Schiit audio Uber Bifrost.

Easier said than done ;)

You have to cut a lot of corners to bring a good product to market under $100, something we don't want to do.

Do it! Do it now! If you do I'll definitely give it a try :)

Get the Schiit audio Uber Bifrost.

Pro tip, a dac has minimal influence on the sound you get, and your amp is infinitely more important. 

So realistically spending more then $100 on a DAC alone is pretty much lighting fire your money. 

I don't think the E10 will help that much on sound considering you only have A40's.. but I might have to get me an E10 sometime to test for myself. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Pro tip, a dac has minimal influence on the sound you get, and your amp is infinitely more important. 

So realistically spending more then $100 on a DAC alone is pretty much lighting fire your money. 

My comment was somewhat of a joke since the bifrost costs $500. But then again, how do you know that all DAC's over $100 are overpriced?

My comment was somewhat of a joke since the bifrost costs $500. But then again, how do you know that all DAC's over $100 are overpriced?

Because a dac can only get so good, after that its marketing away!

Because a dac can only get so good, after that its marketing away!

That really isn't a good answer. What if a $200 Dac exists that does sound better than one of the sub $100 DACs? You wouldn't know because you already have 

your mind made up. 

That really isn't a good answer. What if a $200 Dac exists that does sound better than one of the sub $100 DACs? You wouldn't know because you already have 

your mind made up. 

They can only electrically get so good. 

While I do concede that there are dacs out there for more professional applications that can measure better, and have better outputting and the whole nine yards. They will sound give or take identical to a D3. 

They can only electrically get so good. 

While I do concede that there are dacs out there for more professional applications that can measure better, and have better outputting and the whole nine yards. They will sound give or take identical to a D3. 

What is a D3? How do you know all of this?Are you a professional audio engineer or something?

What is a D3? How do you know all of this?Are you a professional audio engineer or something?

FiiO D3, cheap as dac that has coax and spidif inputs and line level output via rca. 

Learned it from reading up on the matter from legitimate sources that aren't headfi. 

FiiO D3, cheap as dac that has coax and spidif inputs and line level output via rca. 

Learned it from reading up on the matter from legitimate sources that aren't headfi. 

Hmmm. In theory, every DAC should sound the same, but I bet that isn't the case. 

Hmmm. In theory, every DAC should sound the same, but I bet that isn't the case. 

Seeing that every dac is transparent, they all inadvertently sound the same. Machines can detect the differences, but the human ear, no matter how flawless, isn't a machine. Any differences perceived are likely to be placebo or software modifications. 

Seeing that every dac is transparent, they all inadvertently sound the same. Machines can detect the differences, but the human ear, no matter how flawless, isn't a machine. Any differences perceived are likely to be placebo or software modifications. 

Then why aren't all DACs the same? Why do they use different chips, caps, etc? The bifrost uber should have the same DAC processor inside as the Fiio e10 right?

Then why aren't all DACs the same? Why do they use different chips, caps, etc? The bifrost uber should have the same DAC processor inside as the Fiio e10 right?

Different dac doesn't mean they work or output differently. 

(FYI, I'm just going to beat around the bush till I get bored) 

Different dac doesn't mean they work or output differently. 

Then why do people say one DAC does sound better than another, even when it is a blind a/b test?

Then why do people say one DAC does sound better than another, even when it is a blind a/b test?

I dunno, why do people say anything whats so ever in the first place? 

Any properly designed dac will out put the same low voltage sine wave as the next one. 

Short answer: They don't,  Humans can't tell the difference between DAC's.

Long answer: If there is a discernible difference between two devices it most certainly will be the output stages of the device (e.g the amp) not the DAC.  Also this is the net,  there is no way to guarantee that any claims made are backed up with actual blind tests, or that the tests were carried out properly.  This it what makes it so difficult to be realistic in the audio realm.   I realise this puts every statement I make in the same "take cautiously" basket, however I think at the end of the day that logic and a rational understanding of audio technology will win out.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

HA!

I reckon it will.  If you look at technology over the last 20 years, In every field the quality is growing exponential and the price is dropping,  Audio is exactly the same, the quality of products is getting significantly better and yet the fallacy that it costs more to produce proper audiophile gear keeps the prices artificially high.  Most people would argue there is no real difference in quality between two top tier monitor manufacturers, or power drill makers, so why the difference in audio?  people will realise this eventually and the audiophile tax on gear will slowly come down until it is only applied to the handmade exotic stuff that people accept sounds not better than the stuff you can get at the local hifi shop. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I reckon it will.  If you look at technology over the last 20 years, In every field the quality is growing exponential and the price is dropping,  Audio is exactly the same, the quality of products is getting significantly better and yet the fallacy that it costs more to produce proper audiophile gear keeps the prices artificially high.  Most people would argue there is no real difference in quality between two top tier monitor manufacturers, or power drill makers, so why the difference in audio?  people will realise this eventually and the audiophile tax on gear will slowly come down until it is only applied to the handmade exotic stuff that people accept sounds not better than the stuff you can get at the local hifi shop. 

With out a doubt, its just until we get to that point, I'm going to have a giggle over it. 

HA!

My example is rollex watches,  they keep time no better than a $60 Seiko. so why pay $65,000 for one.  Hand made? wank factor? status symbol? all of the above?  In reality audiophile gear is all status symbol these days and that's what you pay for, the ability to say "I have a -insert wank brand here- and I can hear the difference"

My example is rollex watches,  they keep time no better than a $60 Seiko. so why pay $65,000 for one.  Hand made? wank factor? status symbol? all of the above?  In reality audiophile gear is all status symbol these days and that's what you pay for, the ability to say "I have a -insert wank brand here- and I can hear the difference"

What you saying about my Victorinox? 

I prefer to use tvs as an example.

What you saying about my Victorinox? 

I'm saying my super camping knife with justin bieber picture on the side is just as good,  and if you stick it in your ear it even sounds the same as his music.