[Series Request] Pimp-My-Desktop (like MTV's Pimp-My-Ride)

Nightness

In this show you would start with a selected winner's PC, reuse everything you can (no complete rebuilds, just change a few things to beef up a system). A winner for an episode, will have a "fair" system before and "great" system after.

Example Me... I have an A10-6700 (fine), 600W Power Supply (Overkill), and a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (Not only overkill, but doesn't fit in my case), 120GB SSD (good), and a NVIDIA GT 610 (crap). Your episode titled "Can You PLASTIDIP a WHOLE PC?? Will it STILL WORK??", gave me the idea. Part of the upgrade would be giving the desktop PC a more visual appeal; the case would be replaced on most episodes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimp_My_Ride

Let the lawsuits flow

/s

Send the build to LMG then they send it back?

What are the logistics of this?

Will the return outweigh cost?

What would be better (and cheaper) for everyone is if you send a picture of your build with your specs attached, then they can give you suggestions on how to improve the aesthetic or hardware during the WAN Show, but Kyle (Bitwit) and Paul (Paul's Hardware) already do this (or used to, haven't had time to watch in a while) in their livestream(s)

To be honest, that's a terrible idea. plus the fact that the show was basically a scam, and is not something you should be associating with.

there's not much you can do to "pimp" a pc apart from changing a few components and the case, which wouldn't really be that interesting to watch. Might as well just go watch build logs.

using your PC as an example

"oh look this PC only has a GT610, lets put a GTX1080ti in there instead which is basically useless with the A10" and if they replaced the CPU as well, might as well just do the wholew pc since it would need a new motherboard and ram. the only original parts would maybe be the PSU and Storage.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Send the build to LMG then they send it back? (Yes) (Skype video before and for the unboxing when it returns).

Sponsor's for cutting edge cases will help.

I'm scraping by financially, as most winners of that MTV show were. Just don't call it the same thing (Pimp-My*) and MTV can't sue.

9 minutes ago, Arika S said:

"oh look this PC only has a GT610, lets put a GTX1080ti in there instead which is basically useless with the A10" and if they replaced the CPU as well, might as well just do the whole pc since it would need a new motherboard and ram. the only original parts would maybe be the PSU and Storage.

No it's about making smart choices... The motherboard is fine, replace the GT 610 with the best for that board. It would along the lines of the build log episodes, but not always building things I can't afford. It's be more a case showcase.

4 minutes ago, Nightness said:

No it's about making smart choices... The motherboard is fine, replace it with the best for that board. It would along the lines of the build log episodes, but not always building things I can't afford.

but then you're effectively making a video about replacing a case and gpu, that's not interesting viewing

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

13 minutes ago, Nightness said:

Send the build to LMG then they send it back? (Yes)

Who's gonna pay for that?

Sponsor's for cutting edge cases will help

Companies aren't gonna give away their products without having a solid return.

I'm scraping by financially, as most winners of that MTV show were.

The "winners" of that show were acting, everyone was acting.

None of the reactions you see there were genuine.

They also paid for it, they didn't get an upgraded car for free.

21 minutes ago, Arika S said:

but then you're effectively making a video about replacing a case and gpu, that's not interesting viewing

You would showcase a different case each time. The only other thing my build needs is an better graphics card. So I would be an idea candidate (a few changes, but need a cool case). But whatever you guys are clearly not into it.

1 minute ago, Nightness said:

You would showcase a different case each time. The only other thing my build needs is an better graphics card. So I would be an idea candidate (a few changes, but need a cool case. But whatever you guys are clearly not into it.

it just seems like you haven't thought this through and just want a PC upgrade for free.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

21 minutes ago, Arika S said:

it just seems like you haven't thought this through and just want a PC upgrade for free.

Really... Here is my submission to the upcoming "Build Wars" (As I state in the video, I don't want to win, I just wanted to add some B-Roll footage). :)

27 minutes ago, Nightness said:

You would showcase a different case each time.

That will get old after the first few episodes, if not the first..

27 minutes ago, Nightness said:

But whatever you guys are clearly not into it

Cause, as @Arika S said, you haven't really thought this through.

To add to that, usually those who create this kind of topic are looking to get something for free, maybe they don't clearly state that, but they always drop hints.

Spoiler

Example Me

I'm scraping by financially

I would be an idea candidate

not always building things I can't afford

39 minutes ago, Nightness said:

It's be more a case showcase

There are more interesting ways of doing that.

21 minutes ago, Nightness said:

I don't want to win

Your attempt at reverse psychology?

Please be realistic.

2 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

That will get old after the first few episodes, if not the first..

Cause, as @Arika S said, you haven't really thought this through.

To add to that, usually those who create this kind of topic are looking to get something for free, maybe they don't clearly state that, but they always drop hints.

Reveal hidden contents

There are more interesting ways of doing that.

Your attempt at reverse psychology?

Please be realistic.

Ok Freud. I love cases, my bad, sorry. I have not asked for anything.

I love cases

Figured.

You mentioned possible sponsors for cases and nothing else...

If you want a case review then why not just suggest that.. or maybe watch multiple channels so that you have a better idea of what a case "feels like"

I have not asked for anything

I read between the lines.

7 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Figured.

You mentioned possible sponsors for cases and nothing else...

If you want a case review then why not just suggest that.. or maybe watch multiple channels so that you have a better idea of what a case "feels like"

I read between the lines.

I don't have specific cases I want reviewed, because I don't have the time to put in the research... So yeah, if I want something it's research on the best 5 cases for each form factor. You could make it a 3 part episode.

Edit: I really thought that was a good show idea though. I loved Pimp My Ride.

1 minute ago, Nightness said:

I don't have specific cases I want reviewed, because I don't have the time to put in the research... So yeah, if I want something it's research on the best 5 cases for each form factor. You could make it a 3 part episode.

Just write "best cases for x" where x is the form factor or something like that and you'll find a bunch of vids

6 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Just write "best cases for x" where x is the form factor or something like that and you'll find a bunch of vids

"Top X about Y" episodes are very common on YouTube. SciShow (another huge channel), has done many of them. And information is date significant, I resist watching any videos that are more than four years old.

6 minutes ago, Nightness said:

SciShow has done many of them

Scishow and LTT are not the same. Don't compare them to each other.

I resist watching any videos that are more than four years old.

This just tells me that you didn't even put in the effort.. there are a lot of videos from this year alone, just filter the search results.

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

Scishow and LTT are not the same. Don't compare them to each other.

This just tells me that you didn't even put in the effort.. there are a lot of videos from this year alone.

I guess I'm running into "too many videos overload" on searches. LTT has been fantastic in updating my dated knowledge about computer hardware, which was 6-8 years out of date before I started watching the episodes. It would be essential tech quickie-ish.

1 hour ago, Nightness said:

Example Me... I have an A10-6700 (fine), 600W Power Supply (Overkill), and a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (Not only overkill, but doesn't fit in my case), 120GB SSD (good), and a NVIDIA GT 610 (crap).

1. Remove GT 610
  2. Use the iGPU in the A10-6700 instead

There's your instant upgrade right there. Enjoy.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:
  1. Remove GT 610

I have considered that, especially with the Cooler Master, keeping things so cool. :)

Edit: Doing it, ty.

I guess I'm running into "too many videos overload" on searches. LTT has been fantastic in updating my dated knowledge about computer hardware, which was 6-8 years out of date before I started watching the episodes. It would be essential tech quickie-ish.

Don't rely on just one source for your info. An advice for life.

11 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:
  1. Remove GT 610

Ty, Huge improvement and CPU is still running cool. :)

I'd be disappointed if I don't get a Dell Optiplex with 5 screens built into the chassis.