is it just me or is Windows 8.1 a lot less buggy than 10?

Ashleyyyy

i installed Windows 8.1 on my laptop, and i have to say, it feels a lot more stable and less buggy than 10... is that just me?

She/Her

I sincerelly think its the other way around, specially when it comes to network sharing (files, printers and such).

But i did like 8.1 though, used it for a rather long time before W10 came out.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

i installed Windows 8.1 on my laptop, and i have to say, it feels a lot more stable and less buggy than 10... is that just me?

They don´t support it as much. So I doubt it is better

Windows 8.1 was ok, but Windows 10 has already better support and they fixed issues that are still present in Windows 8.1, So I would say at this point no.

It's like XP you could do 2 things, but do them good, everything else....welll

It's probably just you, Win8 was as shitty as Win Vista.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I totally skipped Windows 8 and 8.1. In my opinion it was the worst Windows version ever made.

18 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

It's not just you.

I have a laptop with Windows 9 (yes, it existed) which is based on 8.1 and it just doesn't give me any issues.

Win10 here at work...hundreds of systems, non-stop issues, especially after MS's patch cycle.

So yeah, Win8,1 is better than 10 in stability in my experience

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Vista's bad rap came from unreasonably low system requirements, and a rush to market (as *all* MS OSes suffer from)

Patch Vista fully, put it on proper hardware and it's no worse than Win7...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

unreasonably low system requirements

Nah I tried it with appropriated hardware back then, it was still shit, so much I went back to XP until 7 came out.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

It wouldn't be susprising since it's had a lot more time to be patched...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

For me, Windows 10 has been very stable and bug-free, and I have been using it since the first pre-releases.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

42 minutes ago, LinusOnLine said:

I totally skipped Windows 8 and 8.1. In my opinion it was the worst Windows version ever made.

how can you form a good opinion on it if yiu never used it seriously?

43 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

what's wrong with it then?

24 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

For me, Windows 10 has been very stable and bug-free, and I have been using it since the first pre-releases.

bug free hmm? open up search by clicking on the icon on the taskbar, close it with the same icon and now open it the same way on another thisplay. and poof, your taskbar on the original display will dissapear and come back. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

how can you form a good opinion on it if yiu never used it seriously?

Probably from all the support I had to do for it. I never used it personally. That does meen I have not worked with it :)

1 minute ago, LinusOnLine said:

Probably from all the support I had to do for it. I never used it personally. That does meen I have not worked with it :)

Forgot a not on that sentence :) So it should read "That does not meen I have not worked with it :) "

53 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

bug free hmm? open up search by clicking on the icon on the taskbar, close it with the same icon and now open it the same way on another thisplay. and poof, your taskbar on the original display will dissapear and come back. 

You completely missed the "for me" there, didn't you? I don't have a second display and even if I did, I don't use the search by clicking on the icon, I just tap the Windows-key on my keyboard and start typing for whatever I want to search. Even that put aside, wow what a major fucking issue, a taskbar disappears and comes back!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 hours ago, WereCatf said:

You completely missed the "for me" there, didn't you? I don't have a second display and even if I did, I don't use the search by clicking on the icon, I just tap the Windows-key on my keyboard and start typing for whatever I want to search. Even that put aside, wow what a major fucking issue, a taskbar disappears and comes back!

Windows 10 home is more than €140 in my country. For that price, minor issues like that shouldn't exist, especially for a year like that one.

She/Her

I got better performance on my Laptop running windows 10 than when it was running Windows 7.

I have heard others say that the demands were lower on 8.1 (disk IO mainly), and of course it lacks a lot of the garbage that's been added with 10 (ads, "spying" (well this varies with who you talk to), etc.)

I never personally used 8.1 though so I can't say.  I have seen and briefly played with Windows 8 though and thought it was totally stupid.  When 8.1 was announced all I had heard was they brought back the start button, so I had no intention of paying to upgrade to that.  I didn't see the value over 7.  I have seen screenshots of 8.1 though and imo it's absolutely hideous.  It's like a combination of two completely different visual styles so it is constantly clashing with itself.

When 10 was announced and offered for free I jumped on that and while there have been issues for sure, I'm reminded how much I like it when I have to go back to 7.  It feels like what going back to XP felt like after being used to 7 in terms of general conveniences.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 10/17/2018 at 8:15 AM, Princess Cadence said:

Nah I tried it with appropriated hardware back then, it was still shit, so much I went back to XP until 7 came out.

It was terrible at launch, but post SP1 it worked great. Performance wasn't quite as good as Windows 7, but still very close.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I have seen screenshots of 8.1 though and imo it's absolutely hideous.  It's like a combination of two completely different visual styles so it is constantly clashing with itself.

and Windows 10 isn't? open the control panel and metro settings app. totally different. edge is metro style too.. 

at least in 8.1 they are completely seperate. you don't need to use the metro UI at all if you don't want to. Windows 10 forces you to by having settings be metro UI

She/Her

16 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

and Windows 10 isn't? open the control panel and metro settings app. totally different. edge is metro style too.. 

at least in 8.1 they are completely seperate. you don't need to use the metro UI at all if you don't want to. Windows 10 forces you to by having settings be metro UI

Windows 10 is pretty consistent visually.  Sure there's Metro/UWP apps and traditional Win 32, but from a visual design point of view, I'd say it's decently styled.

I mean, just look at this

image.png.5f391a6d7c64ade1a1bdca5ab75199bd.png

image.png.397c6f55cfdd8cecd096f251a4dbfc3d.png

And then this...

image.png.d5256f676a475ee877e99165a3127ce6.png

It's just... horrible. ?

There's a mix of Windows 10 style flat icons and UI elements with Windows 7 style realistic icons, the parts that are flat can't decide if they should be truly flat like Win 10 or go for a glass theme, and the borders are so t h i c c

It honestly looks like an unfinished beta in progress.  And yes, you could counter with the control panel vs "Settings" in Win 10, and be totally right in doing so xD but I'm talking form, not function.  Sure they are two distinct looks but they are two sides of the same coin, instead of a coin and an elephant.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.