Ryzen - Work First, Game Second

LipePereira

Sup guys, I want to start planning my next build, and I've decided to go for Ryzen, as my primary goal is a workstation (so the multi thread power is nice).

First step is: which CPU? I want to know what the best Ryzen on the market is, not counting Threadripper because money. Is the 2700x the way to go? I want it to be as future proof as I can right now (without breaking the bank). Plus, I'll probably have to dual boot windows/linux since working on windows is a pain for me most of the time, and so is gaming on linux...

I've heard that the 2000 series of Ryzen has problems with linux, is that true?

If I am not mistaken, current Ryzen 2700X are on sale for around 289-320 dollars depending on the vendor. As posted above, if you find a really solid deal on a TR processor then I would go for that. The 2700X is an amazing CPU especially for its price. I have installed one of this in a video editing PC and have nothing but great things to say about its performance.

I cannot comment on performance in Linux as I have not heard/investigated Ryzen 2000's performance in Linux. I don't see why you would have issues with this CPU in Linux.

17 minutes ago, ThePD said:

If I am not mistaken, current Ryzen 2700X are on sale for around 289-320 dollars depending on the vendor. As posted above, if you find a really solid deal on a TR processor then I would go for that. The 2700X is an amazing CPU especially for its price. I have installed one of this in a video editing PC and have nothing but great things to say about its performance.

I cannot comment on performance in Linux as I have not heard/investigated Ryzen 2000's performance in Linux. I don't see why you would have issues with this CPU in Linux.

TR actually performs significantly better in Linux vs Windows

I read it somewhere during my research. I'll see what I can get around here then. The 2700x is readily available, but TRs are hard to find. Thanks a lot!

14 minutes ago, LipePereira said:

I read it somewhere during my research. I'll see what I can get around here then. The 2700x is readily available, but TRs are hard to find. Thanks a lot!

Heck yeah! If you can get the 2700X, go for it. I have one and it's a beast. Though like the other guys said, if you can find a similar TR CPU for a good price, get that. It'll also give you the option to upgrade to the more powerful TR chips if you have the need/money in the future, whereas the R7 2700X is the best you can get for AM4 so far. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch