What should i buy next?

Ercanos
Go to solution Solved by Brooksie359,
1 minute ago, ibabyslapper said:

I'm not sure why you keep mentioning page-filing, because it's not really a problem if you're careful with your RAM usage and all you play is CS:GO.

He is having page filing issues even though he only plays csgo so yeah I keep bring it up. Being able to have more than one thing open at once is much more important that an ssd. I have family members who had laptops with 4gb of ram and even with have only one thing open it still used all 4gb so yeah I would say it's an issue even if they are just playing csgo. You are prioritising something that isn't all that important. It's nice to have in a build and would say if you had 8gb or ram then an ssd would be a better choice vs upgrading to 16 but that's not the case. Anyways the entire issue comes down to you trying to force the ssd idea to work when the ram upgrade simply makes sense from the start. They also said they want to play randbow 6 later as well and the sad won't do anything to help them do that. It's the last thing that they need as it is a nice thing to have but not nessisary. Having a certain amount of ram and a powerful enough gpu are nesisarry to run certain games. If they had a hierarchy of needs for computers, ram would be much higher in the list than an ssd. They need the ram. 

Hey, i've finally build my pc. But for the start i only bought the important parts to use the pc. Now i dont know what i should by next

• Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB G1 (300€)

• Samsung 860 Evo 500GB (90€)

• TridentZ 16GB DDR4 RAM 3000 CL16 (170€)

İ dont get much money to build it and i dont really play now any game except CS:GO. later r6 etc. 

Currently my pc has

• Ryzen 5 1600 6x 3.20GHz

• Seagate 1TB HDD

• 4GB HyperX Fury 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM 

• AMD Radeon HD 8490 1GB (only to have a display output)

My RAM and my hard drive are always at 100% usage when im doing something on it buy my CPU is like 1-25%.

well a motherboard to put some of that stuff on might be good , then a cpu so you can actually try it perhaps

1 minute ago, Ercanos said:

Hey, i've finally build my pc. But for the start i only bought the important parts to use the pc. Now i dont know what i should by next

• Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB G1 (300€)

• Samsung 860 Evo 500GB (90€)

• TridentZ 16GB DDR4 RAM 3000 CL16 (170€)

İ dont get much money to build it and i dont really play now any game except CS:GO. later r6 etc. 

Currently my pc has

• Ryzen 5 1600 6x 3.20GHz

• Seagate 1TB HDD

• 4GB HyperX Fury 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM 

• AMD Radeon HD 8490 1GB (only to have a display output)

My RAM and my hard drive are always at 100% usage when im doing something on it buy my CPU is like 1-25%.

I would advise you to get the SSD, then the GPU, then the memory.

I strongly recommend you use the same memory model as the one you already have.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

^^^

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

well a motherboard to put some of that stuff on might be good , then a cpu so you can actually try it perhaps

i forget to write my mainboard. its a asus b350-f. its already built and works but idk what to upgrade next

3 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

I really want that TridentZ RGB Ram so i want to use 16GB of them + the HyperX Ram. Maybe i only use the tridentz ram. What is better? to use to different ram models or one model with less Capacity... So i'm gonna buy the ssd soon and use it as my boot ssd and transfer win + data on it. Okay thank you

1 minute ago, Ercanos said:

I really want that TridentZ RGB Ram so i want to use 16GB of them + the HyperX Ram. Maybe i only use the tridentz ram. What is better? to use to different ram models or one model with less Capacity... So i'm gonna buy the ssd soon and use it as my boot ssd and transfer win + data on it. Okay thank you

It's just that mixing RAM on Ryzen is generally a bad idea, since it can cause memory issues.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

It's just that mixing RAM on Ryzen is generally a bad idea, since it can cause memory issues.

So its better to not use it in that system and maybe gift it to a friend or someone else. 

4 minutes ago, Ercanos said:

I would just not use the 4gb of ram and put in the 16gb. Honestly the ram upgrade should be first because you are currently pagefileing all the time with that much ram causing the hard drive to be used all the time. 16 gb of ram would fix that. Then I would get the gpu because it will provide better in game performance unless you are satisfied with your current performance. Then I would get the ssd for the last upgrade for a quality of life upgrade. If your computer seems to be running super slow it is likely the ram.

29 minutes ago, Ercanos said:

An RX 570/580 is a better choice for free-sync savings.

Or try and wait for the RX 590 or RX 600 coming sometime in october maybe, but we have no real idea when

Obviously buy a GPU before an SSD in any event.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

33 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

This dumb advice. I would not recommend going that route. It's the complete opposite order than it should be. The first thing that needs to be fixed is the lack or system memory which can be an issue just for running Windows alone. An ssd won't solve that issue. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

This dumb advice. I would not recommend going that route. It's the complete opposite order than it should be. The first thing that needs to be fixed is the lack or system memory which can be an issue just for running Windows alone. An ssd won't solve that issue. 

He could probably get by with 4 if all he plays is CSGO (which he stated), and he's frugal with his RAM.

My order is perfectly justified.

Just now, ibabyslapper said:

He could probably get by with 4 if all he plays is CSGO (which he stated), and he's frugal with his RAM.

My order is perfectly justified.

Windows alone uses alot of ram 4 is just not enough. I mean not having to worry about having to page file is much more important that an ssd. An ssd is nice but that is exactly why it's the last on the list. It's nice to have but not really a necessity. Having more than 4gb of ram is necessity at this point as having Windows running with just chrome open and a couple of tabs would go over that amount. They complained that their hard drive was always at 100% usage which is likely because the damn thing is constantly page filing because it can't store all the information nessisary in the ram. He even said his ram is always at 100% usage right in the post as well. I am sorry but your advice is bad to put it nicely. 

15 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Windows alone uses alot of ram 4 is just not enough. I mean not having to worry about having to page file is much more important that an ssd. An ssd is nice but that is exactly why it's the last on the list. It's nice to have but not really a necessity. Having more than 4gb of ram is necessity at this point as having Windows running with just chrome open and a couple of tabs would go over that amount. They complained that their hard drive was always at 100% usage which is likely because the damn thing is constantly page filing because it can't store all the information nessisary in the ram. He even said his ram is always at 100% usage right in the post as well. I am sorry but your advice is bad to put it nicely. 

Yes, but you could just close chrome when you're playing games. If you don't have loads of background processes running, W10 can get by on about 1.5GB-2GB of memory.

I believe you're over-exaggerating the problem. I picked the SSD to be replaced first because it would make the biggest difference to the usage experience, and is also the most affordable upgrade, since RAM prices have only dropped 5% or so since the massive price-hike earlier in the year and last year when prices increased more than 100%.

I'm not denying that 4GB is a small amount of memory, and I agree it should be upgraded, but it should be sufficient for OP's use case if he's vigilant. Which is something I left out of my initial post, @Ercanos should take steps to close background processes, at least when gaming until you upgrade your memory. I suggest you search video on how to do this on YouTube. Sadly I don't have a video to recommend to you since I've never had this particular problem.

5 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

Yes, but you could just close chrome when you're playing games. If you don't have loads of background processes running, W10 can get by on about 1.5GB-2GB of memory.

I believe you're over-exaggerating the problem. I picked the SSD to be replaced first because it would make the biggest difference to the usage experience, and is also the most affordable upgrade, since RAM prices have only dropped 5% or so since the massive price-hike earlier in the year and last year when prices increased more than 100%.

I'm not denying that 4GB is a small amount of memory, and I agree it should be upgraded, but it should be sufficient for OP's use case if he's vigilant. Which is something I left out of my initial post, @Ercanos should take steps to close background processes, at least when gaming until you upgrade your memory. I suggest you search video on how to do this on YouTube. Sadly I don't have a video to recommend to you since I've never had this particular problem.

An ssd doesn't do jack if you are page filing. Will it help a little bit? Yeah but not nearly as much as more ram would. It's the most important out of the 3 upgrades and ssd is the last thing to get as it only is a nice thing to have and not a need. After Windows is open and running the extra snappyness is a nice thing to have but not nessisary and it won't fix the page filing issue. The machine will feel much smoother when it isn't page filing and you can also use the thing without worrying about going over the 4gb threshold which honestly is almost a given even when only running one application at a time. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

An ssd doesn't do jack if you are page filing. Will it help a little bit? Yeah but not nearly as much as more ram would. It's the most important out of the 3 upgrades and ssd is the last thing to get as it only is a nice thing to have and not a need. After Windows is open and running the extra snappyness is a nice thing to have but not nessisary and it won't fix the page filing issue. The machine will feel much smoother when it isn't page filing and you can also use the thing without worrying about going over the 4gb threshold which honestly is almost a given even when only running one application at a time. 

I'm not sure why you keep mentioning page-filing, because it's not really a problem if you're careful with your RAM usage and all you play is CS:GO.

He is having page filing issues even though he only plays csgo so yeah I keep bring it up. Being able to have more than one thing open at once is much more important that an ssd. I have family members who had laptops with 4gb of ram and even with have only one thing open it still used all 4gb so yeah I would say it's an issue even if they are just playing csgo. You are prioritising something that isn't all that important. It's nice to have in a build and would say if you had 8gb or ram then an ssd would be a better choice vs upgrading to 16 but that's not the case. Anyways the entire issue comes down to you trying to force the ssd idea to work when the ram upgrade simply makes sense from the start. They also said they want to play randbow 6 later as well and the sad won't do anything to help them do that. It's the last thing that they need as it is a nice thing to have but not nessisary. Having a certain amount of ram and a powerful enough gpu are nesisarry to run certain games. If they had a hierarchy of needs for computers, ram would be much higher in the list than an ssd. They need the ram. 

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Okay, if they want to play R6 then they would need the RAM upgrade, I didn't see that part of the post. And my laptop won't use more than 2gb of RAM unless I have Firefox running which uses around 3.5GB by itself, which is why I believe the various things I've read online of people getting by with even 2gb of ram if they're careful. Though I would disagree that an SSD is a "nice to have", I would argue that it's essential to a modern PC experience, a PC without an SSD is like a bicycle without multiple gears, sure it can function, but it won't nearly be as usable and is distinctly archaic. For someone who would have to upgrade slowly (which is another assumption I made), I thought the SSD would be more beneficial, as it would accelerate non-gaming tasks like web browsing to a greater degree than more RAM would. Maybe I would've put equal priority (as an SSD) on a smaller RAM upgrade (like another 4gb stick), since that would've been a more accessible upgrade than a 16gb stick of RAM that may or may not cause memory issues if used with the original stick.

I guess we'll never agree on this, since we value things differently, and that's fine. I'll stick to what I think is right and you stick to yours.

6 hours ago, ibabyslapper said:

Okay, if they want to play R6 then they would need the RAM upgrade, I didn't see that part of the post. And my laptop won't use more than 2gb of RAM unless I have Firefox running which uses around 3.5GB by itself, which is why I believe the various things I've read online of people getting by with even 2gb of ram if they're careful. Though I would disagree that an SSD is a "nice to have", I would argue that it's essential to a modern PC experience, a PC without an SSD is like a bicycle without multiple gears, sure it can function, but it won't nearly be as usable and is distinctly archaic. For someone who would have to upgrade slowly (which is another assumption I made), I thought the SSD would be more beneficial, as it would accelerate non-gaming tasks like web browsing to a greater degree than more RAM would. Maybe I would've put equal priority (as an SSD) on a smaller RAM upgrade (like another 4gb stick), since that would've been a more accessible upgrade than a 16gb stick of RAM that may or may not cause memory issues if used with the original stick.

I guess we'll never agree on this, since we value things differently, and that's fine. I'll stick to what I think is right and you stick to yours.

I have a computer at work that doesn't have an ssd. It is actually pretty fast once you get things going. For the most part once you get all the information needed into system memory the difference isn't as extreme as you think. Its not like the computer is slow it just diesnt feel that super fast you get from an ssd. I love having an ssd and do think it is basically a requirement when planning on a new build because of the benefits it has. That being said at least 8gb of ram would come first if budget was tight for a build. I mean if they had 8gb already instead of 4 then yeah I would get the ssd because you don't need 16 you just need more than 4.