Higher watte = less heat right?

TheMidnightNarwhal
Go to solution Solved by X1XNobleX1X,

I was thinking since it uses less of the total output it's less hot... 

That correct, though lets say you're using around 600watts. The heat on both the power supplies will be around the same. 

If you're talking about the psu getting warm, it depends on the specific psu.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

no, a 650w and 850w psu will generate about the same heat. For that system unless your doinf dual gpu's a 850w power supply is not needed. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

So if I get a 850w RM for a GTX 770, and a 4670k there will be like alot less heat than using a 650w right?

Heat from the 850w?

There won't be a lot more heat, as you probably won't be using all of the 850w power supplies. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Heat from the 850w?

There won't be a lot more heat, as you probably won't be using all of the 850w power supplies. 

If you're talking about the psu getting warm, it depends on the specific psu.

The RM series from corsair.

The RM series from corsair.

Not sure. Why does it matter?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That correct, though lets say you're using around 600watts. The heat on both the power supplies will be around the same. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Not sure. Why does it matter?

Because I really like the looks and the cables of the RM series and the no fan thingy, but am worried about it getting too hot, so was thinking of ways of making it run cooler.

Alright.

Because I really like the looks and the cables of the RM series and the no fan thingy, but am worried about it getting too hot, so was thinking of ways of making it run cooler.

It's designed to run fanless at low loads so you're fine regardless of whatever you get.

PSUs don't tend to run too hot (branded PSUs that is. Don't get me started on generic ones...) so no need to worry about that :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

i have an RM 650 and i does not get hot and the fan barely even spins, so no worries :)

GPU: MSI GTX 770 gaming || CPU: Intel 4670k @ 4.4Ghz || RAM: 4x4GB 1600mhz Corsair vengeance pro || MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming || CPU cooler: Corsair H105 || PSU: Corsair RM650 || SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Crucial M4 128GB || Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 || Monitor: ASUS PA238Q

the heat output on both PSUs will be the same, even if its a different wattage.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

RM is bad.

Get a S12G 450w.

System:
4670k@4,7Ghz <fully stable ( and 5Ghz, incredible unstable)| Asus Maximus VI Hero | G.Skill TridentX 16GB 2400Mhz C10 | AMD XFX R9 290 OC'ed (locked, Elpida) Cooled by a Kraken G10&X40 w/ NF-A14 | NZXT Phantom 530 | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Samsung EVO 250GB | Cooler Master V850 | QNIX QX2710 @110Hz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 | Ducky Shine 3 ^^ | Madcatz R.A.T. 5 | Brainwavz Delta's |

Maybe a better 80+ certified power supply could run cooler as it's more efficient. But it's probably negligible.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

PSUs don't tend to run too hot (branded PSUs that is. Don't get me started on generic ones...) so no need to worry about that :)

i have an RM 650 and i does not get hot and the fan barely even spins, so no worries :)

It's designed to run fanless at low loads so you're fine regardless of whatever you get.

Yeah but I heard multiple problems about heat and stuff.

not on a good quality PSU like the RM unless it is faulty

GPU: MSI GTX 770 gaming || CPU: Intel 4670k @ 4.4Ghz || RAM: 4x4GB 1600mhz Corsair vengeance pro || MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming || CPU cooler: Corsair H105 || PSU: Corsair RM650 || SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Crucial M4 128GB || Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 || Monitor: ASUS PA238Q

not on a good quality PSU like the RM unless it is faulty

Like on hardocp, it failed 2 times, even with the replacement one.

The less wattage usage, the less efficiency you will achieve. Therefore that will cause loss of energy, which will cause heat. (and/or noise when bad quality components are used).

Using more wattage, the higher the efficiency will be. Therefore lesser loss of energy, which will cause lesser heat.

When using an amount of wattage close to the maximum wattage output, the efficiency apparently drops a little, but still will be more efficient then using only a small amount of wattage you can use with that particular PSU.

Edit:

Indeed, the RM750 and RM850 have problems with the fan kicking in to late.

Corsair said there will be a new revision of the PSU's having this problem. (But it might take a while before the stores run out of the current ones...)

Other RM[Wattage] PSU's don't have this problem.

Computer Case: Define R4 | CPU: FX8350 @ 4.4Ghz (1.35v) | Cooler: NH-D14 | MoBo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical (LP) 16GB 2000mhz CL9-T1 (1.5v) | PSU: RM1000 | SSD: 120GB 840 Evo | HDD: 2TB Barracuda | GPU: GTX 760 2GB (TwinFrozr)

Peripherals Keyboard: IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) | Mouse: Logitech M570 (Trackball) | Headset: SX-910A (Bluetooth)
Phone iOcean X7 | CPU: MT6589 @ 1.2Ghz (Stock) | Screen: 5" 1080P |---| Tablet Voyo A15 | CPU: Samsung Exynos 5250 @ 2.0Ghz (OC) | Screen: 11.6" 1080P

The less wattage usage, the less efficiency you will achieve. Therefore that will cause loss of energy, which will cause heat. (and/or noise when bad quality components are used).

Using more wattage, the higher the efficiency will be. Therefore lesser loss of energy, which will cause lesser heat.

When using an amount of wattage close to the maximum wattage output, the efficiency apparently drops a little, but still will be more efficient then using only a small amount of wattage you can use with that particular PSU.

Edit:

Indeed, the RM750 and RM850 have problems with the fan kicking in to late.

Corsair said there will be a new revision of the PSU's having this problem. (But it might take a while before the stores run out of the current ones...)

Other RM[Wattage] PSU's don't have this problem.

Exactly, I think I would choose the HX, but I see problems with high fan noise.