What would you put in a field 1st aid kit?

Radium_Angel

A discussion with some friends the other day prompts this question.

I have a small space in my car (well, one of my cars) and I wanted to build a 1st aid kit/emergency kit for it.

So I was thinking of the following things:

Map of local area

Small flashlight and/or flares

100$ in mixed bills

Folding knife

An MRE

Prepaid cellphone

Compass

Anything else you might think of that would fit?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

15 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Map of local area

100$ in mixed bills

Folding knife

An MRE

Prepaid cellphone

Compass

"Oh no, I've fallen and grazed me knee... Does anyone have a first aid kit?"

"I do! Here, have $100 in mixed bills!"

Looks more like you're making a survival kit rather than a first aid kit.

Things you should include in a basic first aid kit are more along the lines of:

• Guide on basic first aid procedures (ie. how to perform CPR, how to tie bandage, what to do if someone is suffering a fit/seizure, etc)
  • Guide on venomous or dangerous animals in your area/country
  • Guide on poisonous plants in your area/country
  • Bandages (various types and sizes)
  • Band aids
  • Disposable gloves
  • Antiseptic cream
  • Rubbing Alcohol
  • Paracetomol/Ibuprofen

Since it's in your car I would also suggest the flashlight you already have and a high visibility safety vest, just in the event you need to stop on the side of the freeway in the middle of the night for whatever reason, such as responding to a car crash.

If you are indeed making a Survival Kit, then that entirely depends on what situation you're trying to survive... Whatever situation it is, I'd recommend you add some drinking water to your kit.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Gloves, some vice grips to pinch off a brake line, maybe a screwdriver.

Jumper cables, gauze, tape, cleaning wipes.  Emergency blanket(s).  

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Looks more like you're making a survival kit rather than a first aid kit.

Good point.

1 hour ago, Yoinkerman said:

Jumper cables, gauze, tape, cleaning wipes.  Emergency blanket(s).

Jumper cables are already there in the trunk, but the rest are good ideas, though a standard blanket won't fit in the space. Might look up a "space blanket" that folds up into a small space however

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

In addition to @Spotty‘s List i’d Say burn cream & antibiotic ointment. 

Why do you have an mre and 100 in mixed bills? Do you live in a war zone? 

Edit a full gas can and some oil would do better than the mixed bills and food because survival says get rescued, not live. Even a radio that can contact police should be more worth it but I still say gas and oil is like the only “survival” tool you’d need in a car aside from a first aid kit which come prepackaged with most of what you’d need. 

Agree with the comments here, seems like you're more after an emergency/get home bag which includes a first aid kit, rather than a dedicated one.

Here is what I have in mine:

First aid kit side:

Tourniquet

Burn cream

Plasters/band-aid

Dressage

CPR mask

Arm sling

berocca (for those nasty hangovers) ;)

Vitamins

tweezers

Nail clippers

hand sanitizer

anti-septic spray

(these come in multiple quantities, just haven't listed them, this is just some of the things I have in there).

There is more but this is what I can remember from the top of my head.

Survival side:

Knife

Compass

Emergency rations that lasts 72/96 hours.

Shelter

Sleeping bag

Extra set of clothes

multi-tool

flashlight

head lamp

extra batteries of all types

fire starting equipment

SAS Survival Book

Map of the local area

Lockpick set

Small handsaw

Glowsticks

and countless more things, I'll get a list when I get home.

2 hours ago, Netivity said:

snip

You're a bit of a prepper. I wasn't sure if OP was looking for "What if the apocalypse happens whilst I'm in my car?" Which seems to be your mentality with what you have. 

If OP has "A cubby" or "some space in the glove box" I don't see why he'd bring an eight of what you pack. Even then, unless you live in a dense city, you should be able to get home & get your gear. 

3 hours ago, fpo said:

Why do you have an mre and 100 in mixed bills?

The money would be for a tow truck, or taxi ride or the equivalent.

The MRE is in case I get hungry while stranded.

Thank you for the suggestions gang, the space is more of a glove-boxed size spot as opposed to filling up the trunk, but it never hurts to hear all ideas, you've (collectively) offered several I hadn't thought of yet.

And yer, proper European chocolate is a requirement.

34 minutes ago, fpo said:

You're a bit of a prepper. I wasn't sure if OP was looking for "What if the apocalypse happens whilst I'm in my car?" Which seems to be your mentality with what you have. 

If OP has "A cubby" or "some space in the glove box" I don't see why he'd bring an eight of what you pack. Even then, unless you live in a dense city, you should be able to get home & get your gear. 

Fair enough,

I've always been a over-prepared person when it comes to these types of things.

As for the first aid kit size though, I am able to fit it all in a small pouch, which could very easily fit in the glovebox.

Probably should've mentioned that before I decided to comment :) 

The survival side of things are a bit different, and I also don't live in a dense city. But i'm not here to convince everyone to be a prepper :D 

Thanks mate,

8 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

A discussion with some friends the other day prompts this question.

I have a small space in my car (well, one of my cars) and I wanted to build a 1st aid kit/emergency kit for it.

So I was thinking of the following things:

Map of local area

100$ in mixed bills

Folding knife

An MRE

Prepaid cellphone

Compass

Anything else you might think of that would fit?

For a "first aid" kit there's a lack of any medical... anything.

I have my "bug out" backpack in my car with:

• Surgical Scissors
  • various sizes of gauze, bandages, tape
  • ear plugs from an old job
  • alcohol prep pads
  • some icy hot back pad things from somewhere...
  • various types and amounts of pain medication (Ibuprofen, Advil, Tylenol, Vicodin, percocet, etc..)
  • probably some allergy medicine (Benadryl and Claritin)

That's just from what I remember. I decided to pass on the sterilized syringes, glass vials of lidocaine, and suture needles. I kind of just took some of the stuff from the house First Aid kit and dumped it in there.

Otherwise I've got standard supplies like a pen/pencil, flashlight, multi-tool, zippo. No real need to go too nuts with it.

Oh, most importantly, morale patches.

Image result for never go full retard morale patch

That is a big picture and I don't know how to spoiler tag.

#Muricaparrotgang

Blood clotting powder

Lighter

Knife

Steri-Strips

Gloves

Anti-septic 

Emergency (space, shiny metal thing) blanket

Medical tape

Balsamic birch sticks (popsickle sticks) for use if need to tape one to you hand to restrict movement.

This is my basic medical kit really, because that's all I'd be able to do without knowing more about medical. Would cover moderate lacerations, disinfecting ect. More or less what I would put in a Day pack.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Healing potion. 

A spell of resurrection. 

Maybe also a summoning stone that summons a healing angel. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 minutes ago, wasab said:

Healing potion. 

A spell of resurrection. 

Teleports for when you respawn

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

If you get trauma shears, get a cheap pair so you can just dispose of them when you get blood on them. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Honestly as a first responder, I don't even carry much equipment in my car if I'm not on route to serve at a public event. All I have is a basic first-aid kit with an assortment of dressings and bandages, some gloves, and some alcohol wipes. A CPR mask in a car is one of those things where you're rarely going to use. Far better off just having those disposable CPR face shields in your bag.  

Outside of the first-aid kit, some jumper cables (or a compact jump starter kit), a bright torch, and one or two triangle reflectors.

Of course, if you're in snowy conditions or going off road, then you might want to pack a bit more than that. But not too crazy. You don't need to make yourself into an ambulance. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 hours ago, wasab said:

Healing potion. 

A spell of resurrection. 

Yeah but the only spell of resurrection *I* know of, requires two people to perform, seeing as how I'd be dead and all...

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yeah but the only spell of resurrection *I* know of, requires two people to perform, seeing as how I'd be dead and all...

Bring your minions.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

11 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Image result for pokemon revive

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580