Wiping SSD & HDD for resale?

CC268

Hey guys,

I need to wipe my Samsung 850 EVO for resale and not sure if my best bet is to just do the Samsung Magician Secure Erase (which I've never done) or use Parted Magic (been a long time since I used) or something else? 

I also need to wipe my WD Blue for resale as well.

Thanks for the help.

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

First delete all the partitions in windows disk management, then make a new simple volume, then overwrite it with 0s using a tool like ccleaner.

More overwrites = less chance of getting any data back.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

First delete all the partitions in windows disk management, then make a new simple volume, then overwrite it with 0s using a tool like ccleaner.

Interesting...boy it's been a while since I've done stuff like this so I may need to watch some YouTube videos or something lol. That said, I honestly don't have much on these drives. 

Your method above pertains both to SSDs and HDDs?

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

Just now, CC268 said:

Yeah but if it's an SSD then maybe only do one or two overwrites, you don't want to cause excessive write wear on it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, CC268 said:

Interesting...boy it's been a while since I've done stuff like this so I may need to watch some YouTube videos or something lol. That said, I honestly don't have much on these drives. 

It's all binary data.  If you want to do more fancy methods, try a tool like Eraser, or Darin's Boot 'n Nuke.

I would trust that Samsung Secure Erase would do just that.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

24 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Why not just boot and nuke the hard drive and wipe the SSD normally?

1 minute ago, tp95112 said:

Why not just boot and nuke the hard drive and wipe the SSD normally?

What do you mean?

Are you talking about formatting?

That doesn't overwrite data and also won't delete any hidden system partitions that could be on the drives.

Spoiler

Generally zeroing out the drives is enough. 99.9999% of people don't have access to forensic recovery stuff. Hell, even when when I worked in data recovery if I drive was zero'd there was noting we could do. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Just now, Lord Xeb said:

Generally zeroing out the drives is enough. 99.9999% of people don't have access to forensic recovery stuff. Hell, even when when I worked in data recovery if a drive was zero'd there was noting we could do. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Even though HDDs annd SSDs perform the same functions and are physically interchangable, you have to treat them differently. Writing zeroes is the easiest and best way to wipe HDDs. However, that is NOT the best way to wipe SSDs since it will reduce its remaining write life. With SSDs, you use Secure Erase. In the case of Samsung SSDs, Magician will Secure Erase the drive for you with little to no discernible loss in remaining write life (I've used Magician for that and it does work for Samsung SSDs only). Other brands also include Secure Erase with the software tool that comes with their SSDs.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!